1 2
DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
5/30/14 9:58 p.m.

Thoughts so far? Better than the outgoing generation? Live up to the hype of all the reviews so far?

Zeitgeist
Zeitgeist New Reader
5/30/14 9:59 p.m.

I bought a 15 WRX at the beginning of the month.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
5/30/14 10:29 p.m.

I still love my 09 and just did the timing belt, so maybe in another 100k miles I'll pick up a '15

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
5/30/14 10:51 p.m.

I think it's impossible for GRMers to answer a question straight on. I would love to interview some of you for a job.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
5/30/14 11:37 p.m.

well, if all the GRM'ers answered this question straight-on, you'd simply get about 1,000 responses that said "no" in direct answer to your title question ;)

Plus you're asking for a comparison to the outgoing version, so now you're asking for someone who has both owned the outgoing one (which is not very old) and has bought the new one. A GRM'er who buys new cars of the same model every few years? Good luck with that,

free bump!

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
5/31/14 5:16 a.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: Thoughts so far? Better than the outgoing generation? Live up to the hype of all the reviews so far?

I have a 15 WRX on order and should be getting it soon. It will be my sixth Subaru which includes other WRXs and an STi. My son has an 2013 WRX currently which I drive and ride in frequently. I was lucky enough to be able to test drive the new WRX before ordering. Short answer..........yes it lives up to the hype and is better in every way. I even like the way it looks too. For me there was not enough difference from the WRX to the STi to justify a nearly 10K price jump so I went with the WRX. Believe it or not, I actually cross shopped it with the MB CLA45 and the BMW M235i both of which are stellar performers and wonderful vehicles. You also get the snooty German brand names with them but the WRX compared very closely to both in performance and feel. The MB was nearly 60K, twice the price of the WRX and the the BMW was 15-20K more. The WRX is that good and for the price there's really nothing else like it available. Stay tuned.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/31/14 5:55 a.m.

I never drove the old one, but I can say that the new one is incredibly awesome and very easy to drive fast. I can see why people like them so much.
I didn't care for the digital boost gauge in the center of the dash. That was my only complaint. The seats were to die for and overall the car has the power, brakes and handling to run with anything. I was lucky enough to have a student bring one to my first track event this year. Even the stock tires were acceptable track day rubber.  photo 15STI2.jpg  photo 15STI.jpg

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Reader
5/31/14 6:48 a.m.

What tires come on the WRX and the STI?

JAhmed
JAhmed New Reader
5/31/14 10:59 a.m.

I currently own a 2013 WRX hatch and recently drove a 15 WRX extensively. The power delivery is much more linear, comparable to my car with the Cobb tune on it. Gearbox is MUCH improved IMO. Interior quality took a mild step forward, but I think the seats are much much better. My seats, while cool looking, don't have any lumbar support whatsoever...The new seats rectify that. I have more opinions, but I'm tired of typing on my phone...I shall chime in later.

Zeitgeist
Zeitgeist New Reader
5/31/14 11:27 a.m.

Now that I am awake I'll answer more in depth. The 15 WRX is my 3rd Subaru or sort of my second was a Saab 9-2X or Faux Subarau wagon. We also currently have a 12 Impreza Sport so I guess it is my 4th but the 12 is my wife's and CVT.

My 02 sedan and 05 wagon were mildly modified and tracked,autocrossed and drag raced as well as daily driven. I loved the cars with mild mods. Stock there was a bit too much lag and loss of top end power. Turbo back exhaust and tune takes care of most of those complaints for me. a 22mm adj rear swaybar and some extra neg camber was all the suspension I needed for a balanced DD and trackday car with good tires/wheels. Brakes were the weakest link on track but fine with decent pads/fluid and SS lines for everything else. I ended up going with Legacy GT front brakes and Hawk HP+ pads on the 05 and it worked awesome. Better than the junk Wilwood BBK I tried with nothing but problems. A lot cheaper and only a bit heavier than stock. The 02 and 05 were great all around cars that did pretty much everything I wanted. I am just car ADHD and went road racing so the 02 went and wanted a lighter,smaller cheaper to run track focused car so the 05 went and S2K came in.

The 15 is better then those cars in every way stock or modified compared to stock 15. It has more room inside, it is smoother and quieter for road and wind noise with more sound deadening. The materials as well as fit and finish are significantly better. It no longer stands out as an economy car with power and AWD but is a more complete package mid level car.

Ride/handling balance which was always just about perfect for my tastes is even better right out of the box. It rides a touch firmer than my 02 on 16"s but just a touch and still great for any decent road and highway and yet to be harsh or run out of suspension travel on the crappiest MI/Mid west roads or RR tracks. This thing is super flat when pushed and less understeer than even my 02 with anti lift kit,tires and neg camber along with 22mm rear swaybar. Tons of grip and much better turn in and steering response then 02 or 05 Saabaru which had the STi rack and pinion.

Brakes feel good and appear to be Legacy GT spec except the bolt pattern change so they should be just fine with just a pad change for the track.

Power is much improved with a much better DD power delivery. Very little lag and good overall power(close to the 2.0 liters in previous version with mild mods). I would say very close in power level with better range of power delivery for regular use like part throttle, mid RPM range etc..

If I had to find a complaint about the 15 WRX by itself or in comparison I would say the throttle mapping or feel is less connected in response to inputs. The shifter isn't as stout feeling as the 02 and 05 and isn't as slick feeling as them either but is not bad. The throws are long but narrow and precise. I am still getting used to it so some things may get better as I get used to it and things break in/smooth out.

This car is "hopefully" going to stay a daily driver and not be a dual purpose trackday car as I plan to build an Exocet for trackdays. If I can stay disciplined I expect no real mods for steering,suspension,power or brakes being needed to thoroughly enjoy the car.

Lastly I rode and drove the 15 STi and this 15 WRX. I really think the WRX has moved much closer to the STi then previous generations. If you are not planning to heavily track/rally the car then I see no reason to go STi. The power is very similar on dyno's and in feel the WRX has less lag and feels better for any reasonable driving. The STi does have a better top RPM band feel but it isn't so much that removes the lag feel at the bottom end. 6 speed,same bearing/bolt pattern as STi,similar power and more usable and excellent handling made it an easy choice for WRX over STi.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
5/31/14 11:27 a.m.

I've thought a lot about this. They sound good on paper, but I'm gun shy about Subaru engines after having a failure in my Forester XT and reading up on all the issues with turbo EJs. I don't want that engine in the new STI, and I don't know if the FA is trustworthy yet.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
5/31/14 2:26 p.m.
turtl631 wrote: I've thought a lot about this. They sound good on paper, but I'm gun shy about Subaru engines after having a failure in my Forester XT and reading up on all the issues with turbo EJs. I don't want that engine in the new STI, and I don't know if the FA is trustworthy yet.

I hear about these failures but it's completely opposite my experiences and I have had six. In fact I would have to say I am gun shy to leave the Subaru fold as I have had such good luck with them. I have always wanted a BMW M car but I just can't leave Subaru.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
5/31/14 6:30 p.m.

I need to drive one and the Evo X and think about it.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
5/31/14 6:55 p.m.

Thanks for the input guys. And irish I know I was just being sarcastic. I loved the performance of the outgoing model from power to handling, the quality of the interior for daily livability made me go crazy. I was about to swear off Subarus after that and the 02 I had briefly. Then we purchased my wife's 2014 Forester (the bare bones base model) and I've fallen in love, even with the awkward CVT. The interior quality was a huge step up from the 2012 WRX and it rides very well on the highway and gets like 32mpgs. Seeing that the interior on the WRX/STI mimic the Forest, I'd hope the quality translates.

We have a 2nd kid on the way and to me that means I need more power to push 4 bodies around (sarcasm). I was planning on getting a 2015 Mustang but yea that's not going to happen. We are cross-shopping a lot of stuff. New M3, Chevy SS (w/holding til the confirm a manual option), Raptor, used CTS-V sedan/wagon, and some other random stuff that obviously doesn't matter because I can't remember to list it. The WRX is the most appealing because of A) Price B) My RPF1s from the Civic will fit on it. C) Performance per dollar.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
5/31/14 8:09 p.m.
Feedyurhed wrote:
turtl631 wrote: I've thought a lot about this. They sound good on paper, but I'm gun shy about Subaru engines after having a failure in my Forester XT and reading up on all the issues with turbo EJs. I don't want that engine in the new STI, and I don't know if the FA is trustworthy yet.
I hear about these failures but it's completely opposite my experiences and I have had six. In fact I would have to say I am gun shy to leave the Subaru fold as I have had such good luck with them. I have always wanted a BMW M car but I just can't leave Subaru.

4 Subarus -- the 'silver bearing' failure with my '09 WRX (predicted at 3750 miles with oil/filter analysis) and disappointed enough with Subaru North America's treatment of the whole affair that they lost me as a customer. Three 3-series BMW's - nary a problem. Had the last one for 11 years/110k miles.

Before the bearing/engine failure on the '09 WRX, my biggest complaint was poor paint quality. If you buy a new one - invest in the clear front end coatings. My paint chipped badly -- compared to other new cars I've owned.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
5/31/14 8:51 p.m.

Subaru clear coat is horrible. I'll give you that. Had a bird have a toxic blow out on my purple wrx. Literally on the car for an hour at most before i washed it off and it ate right through to the paint and discoloring it was a mess.

Wife's Forester....I do feel like I clay bar, polish, and wax it every week to keep the paint feeling smooth. Otherwise it feelslike sandpaper (could be due to our location near so much seawater).

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
5/31/14 10:08 p.m.

Then buy a car with a blown engine and put a JDM V7 STI engine in. They have 8000rpm redline and forged internals.

Or go over to EVO and be done. Or if you want older Familia GTR, Pulsar GTIR, Skyline GTR, Celica Alltrac, etc for reliable engine AWD fun.

TBH I don't know anyone who had engine trouble with a Subaru. I just see "horror stories" online. I would just roll the dice and not expect it to happen again.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
5/31/14 10:12 p.m.

That makes zero sense for a 2015 MY daily driver. For a track car, okay, but not really the topic of discussion here.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
5/31/14 10:13 p.m.

i'm saying don't buy a 2015 and buy like a 2007. Otherwise you have the choice of Subaru or nothing if you want a new car with turbo AWD with a manual and you will just have to deal with the "looming" engine issue.

I doubt there are any unsold Evos left if they are pay the extra ~$5k for that.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
5/31/14 10:23 p.m.

This is about new ones....some of the guys kanaric listed we don't get in the US, plus I never mentioned tracking this vehicle. Working on procuring a track rat as well. I just need something sporty, fun, reliable, and somewhat spacious for daily duties. This car is on my list of potentials to replace the Si.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
5/31/14 10:24 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: This is about new ones....some of the guys kanaric listed we don't get in the US, plus I never mentioned tracking this vehicle. Working on procuring a track rat as well. I just need something sporty, fun, reliable, and somewhat spacious for daily duties. This car is on my list of potentials to replace the Si.

You can't get a GTIR until next year. Every other car you can get. Forgot Delta Integrale too. If you want a turbo AWD car that is meant for fun, not soccer practice driving, your choices today are annoyingly limited.

If you fear WRX engine issues and you just want a DD get a Fiesta/Focus ST. No AWD but still. If you want a fun AWD you only have this choice or finding a Golf R or Evo X and paying more. Or really spending and getting an Audi. If you want a slushbox DD awd car then Volvo is a choice.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about engine problems in WRX. The only problem I had in mine was the interior was made of plastic so E36 M3 it was falling apart in the Vegas heat by 2nd year ownership. Probably unavoidable.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
5/31/14 10:30 p.m.

I've thought about the Ford ST siblings but they actually have less cargo space than the civic. Focus ST Hatch is more versatile and I've heard the chassis feels better than the Subaru, plus it has a more techy interior; but...theres just something about them I don't like. Plus I take up a good 2/3 of either the front or back seats and I'm only 5 ft. 11inches and 200lbs of Merican Muscle.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
5/31/14 10:41 p.m.

Focus interior is way better than last-gen WRX for sure. I havn't been in the 2015 wrx though. The plastic was cracking in mine and the glue was becoming undone in parts.

Weird that a Focus is smaller than Civic storage.

As much as I dislike VW have you checked out the new GTIs at all? They finally have added a lsd option so they can be considered in "fun" fwd cars now. Or find a Golf R which probably you would have to get used now. They would probably be like Focus levels in terms of interior with the R being like an Audi.

WRX had a lot of room when I had it. It got bad MPGs at Nevada highway speeds equal to my Mustang GT but it's good to hear it gets 32 now. Honestly I wouldn't look at anything else if you want room and sportyness unless you want to spend a good deal more. The WRX interior was a large more storage and people capable than the Mustang GT i have now for sure, one thing I miss about it.

series8217
series8217 Reader
6/1/14 12:15 a.m.
kanaric wrote: I doubt there are any unsold Evos left if they are pay the extra ~$5k for that.

I think there are. My friend here in SoCal just bought one. Good deal too.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/1/14 8:48 a.m.

I went shopping for STI/WRX's last year because I wanted used turbo/AWD/manual with a target of 300 reliable HP. I ended up snatching up a very inexpensive Mazda, which is a much better DD than track car due to its size and weight.

All the Subaru's I looked at were $20k or beat to snot. I ended up spending half that and can still run with them at the racetrack.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tKn8qWkWKvV4oirhDNo6XXDUkkgPgMQHR4Pjtg6wfX5beo5buwszu9SvuCZqSnWE