1 2 3
scardeal
scardeal Dork
6/29/12 10:49 a.m.

BTW, if you plastidip wheels, should you mask the inside surface or just go whole hog?

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
6/29/12 10:58 a.m.

Tom and I just did the front and whatever oversprayed into the barrel, and it looked fine. You can go whole hog if you like. Painting it all would probably be a good idea if you're painting a white/bright wheel a dark color, but I don't think it matters as much the other way around.

Armitage
Armitage Reader
6/29/12 11:36 a.m.
Jaynen wrote: I think your biggest potential for damage would be from something that would stretch it out?

They say on their FAQ that you shouldn't take your car through a high pressure or brush-based automatic car wash as well.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg PowerDork
6/29/12 11:49 a.m.

They can't advise as to the weight either

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
6/29/12 12:16 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: They can't advise as to the weight either

That site is LOADED with tutorials. You could probably get a decent enough estimate of materials used to do the math after watching a few.

3brokenhondas
3brokenhondas New Reader
7/4/12 12:02 p.m.

Is there anywhere that offers a case price? I'm highly considering a flat black tribute to a friend who was a fellow car nut.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
7/4/12 12:39 p.m.

The dipyourcar site sells kits with gallon sized containers that are thinned to spray better. Seems like the normal car one includes 3 gallons and a sprayer

nicksta43
nicksta43 HalfDork
7/4/12 12:59 p.m.

I have three gallons of white on order.

The BMW is in various stages of primer and sanded original paint at this point. I did a test spray with a can of black I had on hand of about a 6"x6" area on the hood that covered original paint a nd sanded primer. It peeled of fine after sitting out in the 100+ temps for two days.

I plan on spraying it through my hvlp primer gun. I'll get something to thin it more if I have to. It looks from the videos that it should be close to the viscosity of a 2k primer.

I will start a thread that covers my experiance when it gets here. Ordered it Sunday and no shipping conformation yet.

I plan to leave it on for a long time so maybe we can test it's durability over the long haul.

Full report to follow.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
7/4/12 1:01 p.m.

Awesome, looking forward to it. So you are going to keep the white matte? I was wondering about its application as cheap cover for mismatched panels or imperfect track cars.

Are you going to be able to weigh your car before just so we know the weight of it too?

nicksta43
nicksta43 HalfDork
7/4/12 1:06 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: Awesome, looking forward to it. So you are going to keep the white matte? I was wondering about its application as cheap cover for mismatched panels or imperfect track cars. Are you going to be able to weigh your car before just so we know the weight of it too?

Yeah matte white. Good idea on the weight, I'll have to check around to see if anyone local has a set of scale I can use. Teh only scale I'm aware of that I have acces to are + or - 20#.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
7/4/12 2:49 p.m.

Instead of weighing the car, why not weigh the full can first, then the empty after?

tuna55
tuna55 UltraDork
7/4/12 3:04 p.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote: Instead of weighing the car, why not weigh the full can first, then the empty after?

That won't work - the solvents which evaporate weigh a ton more than the stuff that stays on the car.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/4/12 9:55 p.m.

Waiting with baited breath!

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/4/12 10:53 p.m.

I have about six months on my wheels, and they still look pretty good. I have read somewhere that there can be issues with applying conventional paints over the plastidip. Can't find the link right now.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
7/4/12 11:05 p.m.

Yeah I don't know why you would put conventional paint over a removable layer tho?

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
7/5/12 12:31 p.m.

For those of you who have painted wheels and bumpers, etc. can you wash your car as if it were normal paint?

The brake pads I have on my car are quite dusty but I'd like to give the wheels a color change if I can wash the dust off easy.

nicksta43
nicksta43 HalfDork
7/5/12 6:49 p.m.

In reply to Nitroracer:

I 've heard white is a bitch to keep clean. Black should be ok.

Still haven't received shipping conformation. Calling tomorrow.

Armitage
Armitage Reader
8/30/12 4:13 p.m.

Ordered the full car kit (3 gal) of black. Hope to get started this weekend. Lots of pics from their forum of finished projects that got me motivated to give it a go. Here are a few such examples:

And I particularly like this before/after thread, close to home:

http://www.dipyourcar.com/forums/showthread.php?952

I'll post some pics of mine when I finish, good or bad ;)

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
8/30/12 5:38 p.m.

Fyi

If you have any ? just let me know.

Armitage
Armitage Reader
8/31/12 7:26 a.m.

Looks good! I'm not doing any serious prep work like you did so it probably won't come out as nice. I got the kit that included the Wagner sprayer so I'm going to use for that first attempt. I have an HVLP gun but am inexpert in setting it up properly.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/31/12 7:41 a.m.
Armitage wrote:

It even comes in the right color for a whole new generation to replace painter's tape but not lose the quaint charm of looking like a tool on your first track day.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/12 7:49 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Armitage wrote:
It even comes in the right color for a whole new generation to replace painter's tape but not lose the quaint charm of looking like a tool on your first track day.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/12 7:58 a.m.

Has anybody tried this stuff over chrome?

A couple of years ago, the rear bumper on my Tacoma got crunched and I unknowingly bought a cheap Chinese knockoff bumper off Craigslist. It was brand new but started to rust about six months later. I could probably find a color matched one in a junkyard but now I'm thinking about trying the dip over this POS.

fidelity101
fidelity101 New Reader
8/31/12 8:17 a.m.

In reply to Alan Cesar:

side bar:

How is the mada2 in rallyx? I've taken it down some nice seasonal roads in the snow/ice and handled really well but nothing too extreme because Its the get to work mobile to afford race car stuffs.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/31/12 8:23 a.m.
Woody wrote: Has anybody tried this stuff over chrome? A couple of years ago, the rear bumper on my Tacoma got crunched and I unknowingly bought a cheap Chinese knockoff bumper off Craigslist. It was brand new but started to rust about six months later. I could probably find a color matched one in a junkyard but now I'm thinking about trying the dip over this POS.

Maybe sand it to rough it up to it will hold paint, POR-15, then plasti-dip? I know the dip they sell at HD will slide off a chrome tool handle once it cures.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rnsSpSwABLkYrYGrYT9wL7eMnOwsRET3CtcjG6PmMZBEqYImBOnAGHDng0PAlBQY