pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/4/21 8:01 p.m.

I'm reaching the point where I am finally ready to move on from my Euro-spec BMW E28 and have been thinking about how I want to sell it. A few folks have privately expressed interest in purchasing it in the past, so I will be doing the honorable thing and giving them first right of refusal; but after that, aside from maybe a posting on MyE28, I'm not thinking I want to go down the road of the typical Craigslist and Facebook listings and all that. At least not for a car like this.

With how BaT has reached premium upper echelon territory I've been looking at Doug Demuro’s Cars and Bids. Seems like it's a little more upmarket than eBay Motors but more accessible than Bring a Trailer. The seller fees are reasonable and the process seems pretty straightforward. People have been giving it good press on the Book of Faces but I don't know that I've talked to anybody yet who has actually sold a car with them.

So, has anyone dealt with these guys yet? If you've sold a car with them I'm curious to hear what your experience was like.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/21 8:32 p.m.

The folks behind RadWood also have a new auction site, might be worth checking them out.

pointofdeparture
5/4/21 8:35 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

I actually have an acquaintance who did not have a great experience with them. It's anecdotal so I won't say anything more, but I wonder how much traction that site gets; the majority of the sale prices seem on the low end.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/4/21 9:27 p.m.

Just read the whole thread. Great progress with the car. 

Never realized euro e28s had those fender lips or whatever its called. 

Also, that Polizei vinyl job was awesome!

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/21 10:00 p.m.

I have (unsuccessfully) and made a helpful video about it!

Note that since that video was shot, I sold the Z06 on Bring A Trailer after C&B offered me a much lower reserve. That said, I still plan on selling my Range Rover on C&B.

calteg
calteg Dork
5/5/21 8:32 a.m.

The general consensus is that you sell on BaT and buy from Cars & Bids. As Javelin noted, C & B seems to consistently offer lower reserves

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
5/5/21 1:23 p.m.

Good to know there are more options now.  Presently, eBay seems to have removed features from a mid-level ad that were standard when I sold my truck (for apparently too little) on there in January.  With my current eBay listing (also an E28), you literally cannot even search for the actual car, so my expectations there are extremely low . . .

pointofdeparture
5/5/21 3:06 p.m.

It is starting to seem like a BaT auction is in fact where this may end up if all other avenues lead to nothing. Their pricing structure is more reasonable than I had realized and it sounds like I will be able to get a higher reserve offer. Thanks all!

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/12/21 4:33 p.m.

I bought a '94 Saturn on C&B for daughter #2.  All went well with the sales process and the car is out in CA at daughter #1's place waiting for me to pick it up.  Will be road trip #2 this summer to pick up a new used car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ll0ZXiPcGsWw1WrMmumjWrAIXb5Y4kE9pz4zrZUkpIbL09WffbH6A7niTau0set5