No Time
No Time SuperDork
6/23/22 9:33 p.m.

Came across this while looking to see if I can find any deals on an engine for the SX4 sitting in my yard with a bad engine.

Im not sure if I should find out more or just pretend I didn't see it and go back to looking for a stock engine to drop in. 

Custom Suzuki engine build

Edit: Link to build thread on SX4 site

Defined motorsports
Defined motorsports SuperDork
6/24/22 2:35 a.m.

This is cool. I can't help. But this is super cool. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/24/22 5:44 a.m.

The esteem and sidekick 1.8's were the beginning of their J-series engine family. They were offered in 1.8, 2.0 and 2.3 and are all tuning chain engines. Think of it like a Honda b-series with a lot of interchangeability. 

indint know all the interchangeable parts but I'm not surprised someone has made a few Frankenstein-motors

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/24/22 7:06 a.m.

I'm not sure how it would work on the stock tune, but as far as the build itself is concerned, it sure seems like the hard way to not really accomplish anything 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/24/22 7:47 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

I seem to remember using the 2.0 Head on the 2.3 to bump compression IIRC but that has been a while since I thought about it.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
6/24/22 8:29 a.m.

I love these cars, always wanted to play with one 

untchabl
untchabl HalfDork
6/24/22 8:43 a.m.

My experience is the 2.0 since I have a few but I know a guy that swapped a 2.0 in place of the 1.8 in his Sidekick. He swapped the intake manifolds/fuel rails and maybe a few other sensors and it dropped right in and is running on the 1.8 ECU. And I'm fairly certain that a 2.3 can be dropped in place of a 2.0 in a Vitara/Tracker and run fine on a 2.0 ECU. 

Very interesting reading about the part swapping between the 3 engines to build some kind of larger displacement engine. May need to do some more research on that since the two spare 2.0's that I have could use a freshen up before I use them. I'm running the 2.0 in an off-road only tube chassis rockcrawler, so building an engine that can produce more torque would be quite beneficial. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W1xqcnmYnxt6bDMDMKZUe9xLRFqxOnk2o7X6xplx6NiS8KZaBAk3EGaIPFzJ5dzn