MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/20/19 7:22 p.m.

Ok a dealer is selling an 02 NB with what they say is a BRP supercharger set up. That is what it looks like a Moss/BRP set up, but it looks to have an air to water intercooler or something and for some reason there are 2 extra lines coming out of the stock coolant reservoir. Only picture on their site. 

Is there anything that concerns anyone just from a glance?

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/20/19 9:42 p.m.

Yes, that's an A/W intercooler in the pipe.  The ones I saw back when they were new (helped a couple people install them) had more pieces (pipes not welded to core), but worked basically like that.  The extra lines in the reservoir are presumably related to using engine coolant as the W in the A/W.

One of the guys I knew locally had a lot of problems with detonation, which wasn't helped by the engine control that BRP sold -- it was very primitive.  My friend eventually wound up putting a full aftermarket ECU into his car to try to tame it.

For anything more than spirited around town driving it's going to want a bigger radiator.  Even for around town, that radiator looks original, which means it's at least a decade into borrowed time by this point.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
5/21/19 5:24 a.m.

That radiator is a concerning shade of brown. Needs replacement ASAP

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/21/19 6:59 a.m.

Well that's disappointing. I guess I'll just do the adult thing and pay off debt instead.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/21/19 8:45 a.m.
MrChaos said:

Well that's disappointing. I guess I'll just do the adult thing and pay off debt instead.

None of those are unsolvable problems, though..  Get a quote from Keith and talk the dealer down :)

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
5/21/19 9:01 p.m.

That is a supercharged miata that has been made better. I wouldn't be put off at all! Just buy a good radiator and enjoy. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E5XBueiM4ZqLaS98DjyUKOkUV9MDxD76qYuWIkwscdxEsoP8lz661tB6qkVk4nif