bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/11/21 11:42 a.m.

About a year or so ago, I bought a very well taken care of 2001 Integra GSR sedan with now 213K miles on her. Since the purchase, life has brought me to Nebraska for an indeterminate period of time. Since the closest curvy bits are about 5 hours away in the sand hills or Missouri, I'm getting her out to the track as not to feel rejected. 

So the setup is really simple. Koni shocks, new motor mounts, Type R springs and rear sway bar. I also have a set of Hawk HP+ pads for it that are going on this weekend. (The newer compound) It's got a set of Yoko 052s on it too. They seem a little heat cycled but it is a early level hpde. It's been maintained extremely well so the suspension is tight. 

Other than just doing a good once over, is there anything to consider? I really can't think of anything and sorting through the Honda boards for info gave me a headache so I figured I would ask here. Plan is to run it at least 3-4 times a year or maybe more over at RPM and Hastings.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/11/21 11:58 a.m.

Sounds fun. 

How old is the radiator? If the health of those plastic end tanks is in doubt, time to replace them? And while replacing the brake pads, how about braided lines, too? 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
8/11/21 11:58 a.m.

I think that car is setup perfect. Needs nothing

enjoy track day! 

i reallt miss that beauty. Somedays think shouldnt have sold her. Then again cant keep em all! 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
8/11/21 11:59 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Sounds fun. 

How old is the radiator? If the health of those plastic end tanks is in doubt, time to replace them? And while replacing the brake pads, how about braided lines, too? 

Radiator was replaced at 180 k with new OEM one 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/21 12:03 p.m.

I occasionally tracked an Integra Type R and based on that experience, I would suggest to keep an eye on the oil level just in case, and otherwise mash the loud pedal.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/11/21 12:05 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
David S. Wallens said:

Sounds fun. 

Perfect. (Assuming that wasn't like 20 years ago.)

When I tracked our B16A-powered CRX, it was simple: check the oil, check the fluids, mount up race tires, go have fun. 

c0rbin9
c0rbin9 Reader
8/11/21 12:06 p.m.

I'm interested in this as well because I have pretty much the same car, down to the high mileage (210k) and well taken care of history. Also bought it about a year ago!

Like you, I have also done engine mounts, shocks/springs (KYB Excel G/H&R OE Sport... wanted Type R springs but couldn't find them), pads/rotors, and tires. The car feels softer that I would expect, but I think that is due to the suspension and tire selection (Kumho Ecsta PS31). My car also consumes a crazy high amount of oil (like a liter every few hundred miles), which I think may just be a bad PCV valve.

I would be curious to know what alignment settings you're going to be running.

bmw88rider
8/11/21 12:06 p.m.

Yeah. The radiator is primo. I'm going to do a quick brake flush, pad change, and transmission fluid flush this weekend with the OEM Honda juice. 

Running it out with NASA Central Region at Hastings the 27th. Looking forward to it. 

I haven't done an alignment on it. Going to take the temperature probe with me to see that she really needs/wants. 

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
8/11/21 12:09 p.m.

How is the ITR bar mounted?  If to the stock subframe then it WILL eventually tear the mounts through the subframe.   Knocking off the tiny stock captive nuts and adding some solid spreader plates is the fix.   

The stock brakes should be fine stock with some decent pads like an HP+, but a cheap and easy upgrade is to use ITR calipers with 2008 Mini Cooper non S 280mm rotors.  It all bots together with no changes and gets you an 11" rotor and larger caliper.   

I also suggest shifting around 7500 in the interest of longevity, you aren't trying to win anything in a track day.  

bmw88rider
8/11/21 12:21 p.m.

This is the willing victim for reference. 

Thanks for reminding me about the backing plates, sonic. That was actually on my to do list but I'll get that for the next event. 

Lsxus
Lsxus New Reader
8/11/21 12:21 p.m.

Only a few other things you should bring with

For the car:

Tire pressure gauge

Bike pump or portable air compressor

Extra oil and coolant

For you: (surprisingly you'll feel pretty exhausted afterwards and perhaps a headache from all the exhaust fumes)

Ibuprofen

water/Gatorade 

food/snacks

Enjoy! 

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
8/11/21 12:22 p.m.

Only real thing to check would be condition of the rear trailing arm bushings. Can 3M Winoweld them like you do with motor mounts and keep rear alignment from being a bit 'active' when torn/worn out, plus has the benefit of making it a bit more tail happy/eager to turn in - which I imagine the sedan will be less willing to do so than the coupe. I always windoweld all the OEM engine/transmission mounts on a track car, even windowelded the driveshaft carrier bushing on my Frontier to minimize vibration from lift I did.

Ran the original HP+ pads on my '90 RS with DOT-Rs (NT-01s) and they worked well.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/11/21 12:33 p.m.
Lsxus said:

For you: (graspingly you'll feel pretty exhausted afterwards and perhaps a headache from all the exhaust fumes)

Sunscreen!

bmw88rider
8/11/21 12:49 p.m.

I have all of the personal care stuff down from being a marshal!! That's all in my track bag. Spent too many long days at the track in the sun at COTA and all over TX, colorado, and california. :)

This is just the first time in a while I have gone out to drive and the first time I've taken the teggy to the track. My last car was a miata and an MR2. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
8/11/21 1:03 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
mr2s2000elise said:
David S. Wallens said:

Sounds fun. 

Perfect. (Assuming that wasn't like 20 years ago.)

When I tracked our B16A-powered CRX, it was simple: check the oil, check the fluids, mount up race tires, go have fun. 

Nope not 20 years ago. This 4 door GSR had dealer service from purcahed in 2001 all the way to 2019. Even tail light bulbs were changed by dealer. 

hoots04
hoots04 New Reader
8/11/21 2:17 p.m.
Sonic said:

How is the ITR bar mounted?  If to the stock subframe then it WILL eventually tear the mounts through the subframe.   Knocking off the tiny stock captive nuts and adding some solid spreader plates is the fix.   

This times 100.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/11/21 2:48 p.m.

Keeping an eye on this thread since my first car was an Integra sedan–a base RS, but it still made me a fan nonetheless.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/21 2:59 p.m.

Just bring a box with the basics.  Rad hoses, belts, couple of hose clamps, a bit of wire and some conectors, and some duct tape (I like the gorilla brand) some fluids to top things up.  Basic tool kit. 

More importantly, bring fluids for the driver!!!

That sounds like a really fun car to take on track!!!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/21 3:03 p.m.

Oh, I forgot, bring a fire extinguisher.  

bmw88rider
8/11/21 7:38 p.m.

Thanks everyone. I wasn't thinking there was much I had to do but didn't want to oversee anything. My couple of events this year will not stress it too much as it's as much about me getting back into form than anything else. More looking at projects for the winter. 

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/11/21 8:12 p.m.

I assume the timing belt and water pump have been changed somewhat recently?  Brake fluid as well?  My old GS-R managed to slip a tooth on the belt at an autocross once but luckily no damage was done, just down on power.  My many hours on the track were without issues.  You'll likely move around a lot in the driver's seat and be bracing yourself against the door often.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PL3IfO86WTlUQnXcfaDXMtb9yN8mAosdqJeCHBiASRPVC5yhlWXwuuri5daw8CZT