eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/6/21 6:53 a.m.

...other than the obvious?

I've got a 3/4 ton Sierra I am going to be pulling the engine, transmission, wiring harness, ECM, driveshaft, and maybe the BCM and gauge cluster from.  I don't have a ton of extra time and space, so the carcass will go to the scrappers shortly after.  Is there anything else I should grab that has a GRM-ish use, or is worth snagging to sell off?  It needs to be able to roll on and off a trailer when I am done.  It's also a rust belt truck, so body panels are not in great shape.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/21 7:05 a.m.

Is it 8 lug and does it have a spare wheel/tire you would sell me?

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/6/21 7:25 a.m.

What shape are the seats in?  I don't need them but they can be a hot commodity in decent shape.  Try pricing a set for a Ford Superduty / Excursion and you'll see what I mean.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/6/21 8:13 a.m.
EvanB (Forum Supporter) said:

I have a full set of 4 that I put up for $40 already.  Tires are totally shot.  I think it does have a spare underneath, and I'll check the condition of the tire on it.

Sadly, the seats have a few small tears and cigarette burns (and smell like an ashtray).

WillG80
WillG80 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/6/21 8:16 a.m.

Rear axle and front diff are worth much more than scrap value. Depending on the condition of the bed, that too. Tailgate would be easy if you don't want to pull the entire bed. 

edit: just reread your post. Ignore everything I said

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/21 8:16 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Ash-Trey is my gangsta rap lounge singer act name.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/6/21 8:21 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Wasn't that the name of one of the lead characters in Don't Be A Menace To South Central While Drinking Your Juice In The Hood?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/6/21 8:25 a.m.
WillG80 said:

Rear axle and front diff are worth much more than scrap value. Depending on the condition of the bed, that too. Tailgate would be easy if you don't want to pull the entire bed. 

edit: just reread your post. Ignore everything I said

Yeah, other than the hood (and the plastic fender flares), there probably isn't a great part of the body left.  Some of the panels could be useful to someone farther north than me, but if I'm not able to unload parts fast, or use them in a build, I don't want them sitting around.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/21 8:34 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
EvanB (Forum Supporter) said:

I have a full set of 4 that I put up for $40 already.  Tires are totally shot.  I think it does have a spare underneath, and I'll check the condition of the tire on it.

Sadly, the seats have a few small tears and cigarette burns (and smell like an ashtray).

My van came without a spare and I keep forgetting to look for one at a junkyard. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/6/21 8:51 a.m.

In reply to EvanB (Forum Supporter) :

Apparently, I was wrong, there isn't a spare under it.  I'll make you deal on the set of four, just to get rid of them smiley

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/21 9:32 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Mine is T-rash

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/21 9:37 a.m.

Is it drive-by-wire?  The pedal and logic box brings money.  It's also not easy to find separately, so if you want the engine/trans to be a package, make sure you grab it.

The front axle can be ripped out and you can leave the wheels on for rolling.  The rear axle might bring $400-500 but hard for the truck to roll without one.

wae
wae UberDork
3/6/21 9:54 a.m.

I'm not sure what you were planning for carcass removal, but I'm pretty sure that the 3/4 ton trucks are just a hair too wide for the trailer.  I wanna say they're about 2 or three inches wider than the GMT400 which only has about 1/4" or 1/2" of clearance on each side.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/6/21 10:45 a.m.
wae said:

I'm not sure what you were planning for carcass removal, but I'm pretty sure that the 3/4 ton trucks are just a hair too wide for the trailer.  I wanna say they're about 2 or three inches wider than the GMT400 which only has about 1/4" or 1/2" of clearance on each side.

Uh oh.  It's listed as 79.7 inches

wae
wae UberDork
3/6/21 11:06 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
wae said:

Uh oh.  It's listed as 79.7 inches

If my memory is correct - and, dude, that is such a big if - the trailer is 76.something side-to-side.  Maybe we can get a uhaul trailer for the day?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/6/21 11:27 a.m.

In reply to wae :

I'm trying to rope Evan in on this for now, if his trailer can handle it.  Looks like Uhaul's trailer would be pushing it, depending on the track width of the truck, but it may be a last ditch option.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/6/21 11:42 a.m.

Leave a little bit of meat on the bones and list the carcass on CL/FB for $200.  Someone will quickly offer $100 and they will do the work to make it go away.  

Do not list for Free because no one will come.  List for a cheap price and be willing to make it an even cheaper price and people will rush to get to it.  

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/6/21 12:10 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

This is good advice

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/6/21 12:50 p.m.

Not sure if you are keeping the catilitc converter or not. But may want to pull that and sell it separately rather than let it go to the junkyard. 

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/6/21 12:59 p.m.

Would the junk yard come get it on a rollback? They'll charge you for the tow, but that may not be any more expensive than Uhaul.

Plus, they can take a non-roller that way, so you could pull the rear and sell that. My 4th gen Camaro left with no wheels on a rollback. Cost me $75 to go ~25mi and I got $77 in scrap for it.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/6/21 1:13 p.m.
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) said:

Would the junk yard come get it on a rollback? They'll charge you for the tow, but that may not be any more expensive than Uhaul.

Plus, they can take a non-roller that way, so you could pull the rear and sell that. My 4th gen Camaro left with no wheels on a rollback. Cost me $75 to go ~25mi and I got $77 in scrap for it.

That may be the way to go.  Might still leave it a roller, just to make it simpler

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dPdFuEPDG6QfnxiUCRirme11cUA5wiVCiZ20apjQA6epQGrc9V9XhJvgtsP8Nxi6