David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/15/21 1:28 p.m.
feature_image

We like wheels. We like deals.

Put the two together, and you get this: group buy deals on the new SM-10 wheel from Apex.

The SM-10 is a flow-formed wheel designed for motorsports use, meaning lots of brake clearance, knurled beads, I-beam spokes and reinforced lips. A replacement program cover wheels damaged on track.

Applications for the new SM-10 cover …

Read the rest of the story

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/15/21 2:31 p.m.

I love Apex wheels . . . a terrific product at an excellent price.  I bought FL-5s as part of a group buy when I purchased my M2.  Painless process.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/15/21 2:39 p.m.

They are great wheels!

David S. Wallens
4/15/21 3:35 p.m.

I admit, I have a thing for wheels. You don't want to see my search history. 

But always happy to see someone make wheels aimed at our market. Give us what we want: light, strong, brake clearance and a good price. Oh, and it should look cool, too. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
4/15/21 4:31 p.m.

I LOVE SALE WHEELS. Oh, no BMW fitments for sale. Damn.

That berkeleying sucks.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/21 4:57 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

But always happy to see someone make wheels aimed at our market. Give us what we want: light, strong, brake clearance and a good price. Oh, and it should look cool, too. 

Kinda sounds like cheap, light, strong and good looking is aiming at the whole market ;)

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/15/21 5:31 p.m.
dyintorace said:

They are great wheels!

+1 for Apex making great wheels.

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/15/21 9:10 p.m.

I love my ARC-8s!

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/16/21 7:03 a.m.

FL-5s in action . . .  (Shannonville Motorsports Park, ON)

dyintorace
4/16/21 8:35 a.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
dyintorace said:

They are great wheels!

+1 for Apex making great wheels.

Gorgeous M3!

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/16/21 10:12 a.m.

As an owner of a BMW, I kind of dislike the ARC8 just because how many other people love them. Not that I don't think they look good, I would just never purchase them in a thousand years.

I know, childish.

But, they have some other styles that look pretty good.

Side note; can't they catalog wheels by size/dimension instead of vehicle fitment? I'd rather drill down from size restrictions to offsets than from what car they originally fit. Few of my cars fit factory sized wheels.

David S. Wallens
4/16/21 10:20 a.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

It really is. What's the tire/wheel setup on this one? 

David S. Wallens
4/16/21 10:23 a.m.

In reply to iansane :

I see the ARC-8 as kind of a modern Minilite or K1. Not that it looks like either of those, but just that it's a wheel designed specifically for motorsports (and doesn't cost a zillion dollars). 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/16/21 10:36 a.m.
iansane said:

As an owner of a BMW, I kind of dislike the ARC8 just because how many other people love them. Not that I don't think they look good, I would just never purchase them in a thousand years.

I know, childish.

Side note; can't they catalog wheels by size/dimension instead of vehicle fitment? I'd rather drill down from size restrictions to offsets than from what car they originally fit. Few of my cars fit factory sized wheels.

I just clicked on David's link to see if they had E39 M5 fitments, but I don't know those dimensions off the top of my head other than the width and diameter. And you know what? They're all listed by size/dimension/ET/center bore  instead of fitment :)

Just goes to show you can't please any of the people, apparently.

Found the "search by vehicle" option and they're sold out. Oh well.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/16/21 11:13 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to dyintorace :

It really is. What's the tire/wheel setup on this one? 

Thanks!

The wheels are 18x10s (+25 I think), and in the photo it's got 275/35R18 Nitto NT01s.  I have also run 295/30R18 Toyo RRs on the same wheels, they required a bit more fender hammering.  Square setup.

When I bought them it was either the ARC-8s or the EC-7s -- they were the same price and ARC-8s were slightly lighter so that's what I went with.  Wheel aesthetics really only matter to me to the extent that it isn't "ugly", and I'm not concerned about whether or not other people in the paddock have the same ones. :)

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
4/16/21 10:58 p.m.

Well... beautiful wheels. In my budget. And I'm in the market. But they don't fit anything I own! How do they not have a 5x114.3, 17x8?

dyintorace
4/17/21 7:12 a.m.

I just remembered. My e90 M3 had Apex wheels as well. 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/19/21 11:14 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
iansane said:

I know, childish.

I just clicked on David's link to see if they had E39 M5 fitments, but I don't know those dimensions off the top of my head other than the width and diameter. And you know what? They're all listed by size/dimension/ET/center bore  instead of fitment :)

Just goes to show you can't please any of the people, apparently.

Found the "search by vehicle" option and they're sold out. Oh well.

I guess I was too dumb to find that list. Ha!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u0RLvaaQodAVVEq6gFm0CJsjTk2U2Ex8p6YtcfuuK5zIhAx3qXZqdPoGH4jKJZJs