1 2 3 4
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/11/15 8:59 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: Anyone else wonder if the punchee might have got what he deserved?

Yeah, I think Clarkson isn't as big of an asshat IRL as the character he plays on TV, and I doubt he would've punched a dude for no good reason.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
3/11/15 9:05 a.m.
gearheadE30 wrote: Yeah, I think the whole Chris Harris/Matt Farah/etc conversation could take up another thread on its own, hah.

True.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/11/15 10:28 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
NOHOME wrote: Anyone else wonder if the punchee might have got what he deserved?
Yeah, I think Clarkson isn't as big of an asshat IRL as the character he plays on TV, and I doubt he would've punched a dude for no good reason.

I've heard he's actually quite a bigger asshat IRL. But still, the punchee probably had it coming.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/13/15 7:46 a.m.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
3/13/15 7:52 a.m.
maschinenbau wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
I've heard he's actually quite a bigger asshat IRL. But still, the punchee probably had it coming.

Unless the punchee hit Clarkson- what would justify being hit for? Words?

And if words are enough to get punched over, then people should justified in punching Clarkson, right? OR he learn to take the anti-PC as much as he dishes it out.

It's funny how people complain that the BBC is too politically correct covering up words people say, but it's ok to assult someone for the words they say. That makes no sense at all.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
3/13/15 8:09 a.m.

There are so very many people in the world who NEED to be punched! I'm not advocating a free for all melee but the prevailing attitude of saying/doing anything with impunity is absurd.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
3/13/15 8:11 a.m.

So instead of having the BBC suspend Clarkson for his comments, they should allow the offended to just punch him?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/13/15 8:23 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: So instead of having the BBC suspend Clarkson for his comments, they should allow the offended to just punch him?

If it would make this entire episode go away - yes.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
3/13/15 8:35 a.m.

Violence is always the answer!

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
3/13/15 8:52 a.m.
maschinenbau wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:

Do you all apply the same rationalizations to domestic violence?..."I heard he was a reasonable guy, and I doubt he would have punched his wife and kids for no good reason. They might have got what they deserved. They probably had it coming."

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
3/13/15 8:59 a.m.

I'm not sure I could justify punching someone because they failed to have a hot meal for me.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/13/15 9:08 a.m.

new punishment idea for Clarkson.

He comes to the US and punches a uniformed Police officer. If he's not shot as retaliation he wins.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/15 9:53 a.m.
Driven5 wrote: Do you all apply the same rationalizations to domestic violence?..."I heard he was a reasonable guy, and I doubt he would have punched his wife and kids for no good reason. They might have got what they deserved. They probably had it coming."

The difference is that there's an inherent wrongness to punching women and children.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
3/13/15 10:10 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: The difference is that there's an inherent wrongness to punching women and children.

Why only apply that non-violent philosophy to women and children? It is well documented that men who resort to physical violence when they lose control of their temper in stressful situations with other men, are far more likely to eventually experience that same loss of control with the women and/or children in their life who will inevitably test the limits of their stress/anger management abilities at some point as well...There is inherently something wrong with punching anybody, when not acting in self defense.

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
3/13/15 10:17 a.m.

I would hate to see the show get cancelled. It is really well done and has been a staple for so many years. That being said, 22+ seasons is longer than almost any other show I can remember. Clarkson seems to have a habit of this, and maybe it is a publicity stunt to keep the ratings going. You never know. I am a TG Fan for sure.

chiodos
chiodos Reader
3/13/15 11:06 a.m.

Im a top gear fan but without clarkson I will probably stop watching. I mean hammond and may both have or had their own show and I never bothered to watch. Dont get me wrong they are alright presenters but it's the weird chemistry between the three that makes the show. I mean how else can they morph a car show to something sorta about cars that all auto enthusiasts love?

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
3/13/15 11:16 a.m.

If it would have happened in the US then yeah, he'd probably be done on the show. But this being the UK, he serve and acknowledge his punishment he'll be back. Just needed to be taken down a notch then go about things as usual.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
3/13/15 11:55 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Driven5 wrote: Do you all apply the same rationalizations to domestic violence?..."I heard he was a reasonable guy, and I doubt he would have punched his wife and kids for no good reason. They might have got what they deserved. They probably had it coming."
The difference is that there's an inherent wrongness to punching women and children.

Do you have guidlines that tell you when it's ok to hit a fellow employee?

Or that it's just not allowed.

Once the teenage intern hit's 20, then it's ok to start hitting them when you are upset? If a women makes you mad- you are allowed to hit their significant other?

What's the proper degree of being mad? If it's an insult to your mother, it's got to be an open handed hit? But if they insult your kids, you can use brass knuckles? Hunger and food means anything is ok?

what's the inherent rightness to hit a man?

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/15 12:28 p.m.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31869967

BBC News understands that the star phoned BBC head of television, Danny Cohen, to report the incident.

Producer Oisin Tymon, with whom the altercation took place, is not believed to have filed his own complaint.

Interviews are expected to be held with the star and other parties next week, and the show has been taken off-air.

Clarkson has expressed regret over the incident, which his co-presenter James May labelled "a bit of a dust-up".

Jeremy Clarkson: "I am very grateful to everybody"

An online petition calling for the star's reinstatement - set up by political blogger Guido Fawkes - has accrued more than 800,000 signatures since Tuesday.

Speaking to reporters on Friday, Clarkson said he is "very grateful to everyone" who has signed the petition.

Top Gear is one of the BBC's most popular and profitable TV shows, with an estimated global audience of 350 million.

Its success is largely attributed to the contentious host, who has appeared on the show since 1988.

Politicians on all sides have weighed into the affair, with Prime Minister David Cameron - a friend of Clarkson - saying he hoped the incident could be "sorted out".

"It's a great programme and he's a great talent," he said.

A lawyer for Mr Tymon said his client "intends to await the outcome of the BBC investigation and will make no comment until that investigation is complete".

Clarkson's approach to BBC bosses suggests he was trying to pre-empt any official complaint. The incident, at a Yorkshire hotel, is reported to have been witnessed by members of the public, as well as some of the production team.

The presenter, 54, was given what he called his "final warning" last May after claims he used a racist word during filming.

He later apologised for the incident which, although never broadcast, had been leaked to a tabloid newspaper.

Last year, Top Gear was also censured by Ofcom for breaching broadcasting rules after Clarkson used a derogatory word for Asian people during its Burma special programme.

A further incident during shooting in Argentina saw the show's executive producer, Andy Wilman, brand 2014 an "annus horribilis" for his team.

Clarkson, and co-presenters May and Richard Hammond, are due to renegotiate their contracts next month.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
3/13/15 12:34 p.m.

I'd probably watch the show without Clarkson, and I think I might enjoy it more. They are stretching the wrecky humor element of it a bit too much. Quit carrying dead cows on the roof, I say.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/13/15 12:56 p.m.

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson

Sign it.

Almost at 1 million supporters

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
3/13/15 1:33 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:

There's an inherent wrongness to hitting a co-worker, and you would be immediately fired for that in the US. There's an inherent wrongness to hitting any other person - barring self defense.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
3/13/15 1:35 p.m.
mr2peak wrote: https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson Sign it. Almost at 1 million supporters

There should be a "I support the BBC in investigating this and taking the action they find appropriate at that time" option. I swear people would back their favorite pop star no matter what they did. Michael Vick and Chris Brown have more than a million supporters despite being even worse people than Clarkson.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/13/15 1:49 p.m.

Having met Chris Brown and having spent the better part of a week with him early last month, I can say that I was pleasantly surprised by his behavior and demeanor. I was expecting nothing but headaches and trouble based on previous knowledge, and he was the utmost professional, courtesy, friendly and cordial. By all accounts this was not always the case, but reform is possible. I'd gladly work with Mr. Brown again.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/13/15 1:56 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: what's the inherent rightness to hit a man?

Jeez, man! It's when they have it comin'. Where have you been?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ncop3ppVflFBxmKFRvlyx2OiI3mo76ATsp4KFDFuFbv6QsQCzl5EjaAC3vjtpExt