ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/14/11 9:26 a.m.

Was helping a friend sort out a no-start on his 2000 Accord (4-cyl) yesterday, but had to wander off before we sorted it out.

His neighbor, a former auto tech, was also helping, and at this point I'm pretty sure it's either the coil or whatever drives it: With a plug out and resting on the cam cover, cranking gets us one bluish spark, one orange spark, and then nothing (despite the battery cranking the engine with reasonable enthusiasm).

Just thought I'd check here in case I get a chorus of "2000 Accord? Oh, it's the XYZ. Those things eat XYZs like popcorn..."

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
11/14/11 10:18 a.m.

Pretty sure on these cars the coil and ignition module are built into one package.

ransom
11/14/11 10:24 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt:

Well heck, that improves my odds of buying the right part greatly

Kramer
Kramer HalfDork
11/14/11 11:59 a.m.

These are well-known to have main relay issues (even known to Honda). I had one replaced on my '99 Accord 2.3 under warranty, but only after having a Honda Dealer Trainer run the issue up the flagpole. I think the main relays are now available in the aftermarket.

ransom
11/14/11 12:15 p.m.

In reply to Kramer:

We're getting the fuel pump running, so I don't think it's main relay. Haven't actually tested for fuel pressure or volume, but that would be pump or filter rather than relay.

Can't believe these things only have an in-tank filter. Seriously?

Glad it's sounding more and more like coil/ignition module.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q9YvGddswJxAhFGbJO2PQg3r8ZpJy4tb3pSECRnMdFJaAUXXq226hSFWU8LKY0rb