Countingcrowbars
Countingcrowbars UltraDork
7/29/21 4:31 p.m.

My club says they will allow if the waiver is signed, but I guess the parents don't have to stay. That seems like a legal conflict waiting to happen. Granted, most 16 and 17yr olds that have shown up act responsibly. 

Countingcrowbars
7/30/21 11:15 a.m.

Really? No one has anything to say on this topic? 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/30/21 11:36 a.m.

We make the parents sign a waiver for minors to be on site as spectators.  We don't tell the parents it is OK to leave, but we don't really have any way to enforce them staying.

We do allow licensed drivers to participate, even if they are minors.  Both parents and driver have to sign that one.  Again, there's nothing stopping the parents from leaving, but I would certainly never grant permission if they asked.

Countingcrowbars
7/30/21 2:20 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

and that makes sense. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/21 2:29 p.m.

It never came up when I was running events. Usually the parents were also driving :)

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/30/21 2:44 p.m.

I'm assuming you mean licensed drivers?

It will vary according to the venue's insurance plan and carrier. 

Foe example... NOT allowed at GRM $20XX Challenge. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/21 2:56 p.m.

Interesting. If you have a driver's license and your parent's signature, I cannot see what difference it makes if the parent stays there or not. You can legally drive to the event, and if the parent isn't in the car, there isn't much they can do anyway. In PA, you are talking about 16 and 17 year olds.

If you are talking about younger than 16 in a cart, then it would depend on the age of the driver. Anything under 16, I'd want a parent present.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q8CtnqKXnb1AFduF5JyntADAWVcOYlbJghqxnENOkPAbQEYhiP2NosgNHjDwvN7Q