1 2 3
ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
12/15/14 8:36 p.m.

My Protege5 can fit all three kids with shoulder belts without smearing them with lard first so looking about that size.

I'd NEVER want to get an auto in a car like this but I'm going to compromise to simplify my life for the time being.

I'm a Neon fan and it'd be 2003-ish due to budget so I already know it's not the fave GRM generation. Any of the GM offerings fit the bill? Are they ALL dogs with an auto?

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
12/15/14 8:49 p.m.

The first and second gen Mazda3 hatchbacks are pretty fun, even with an auto and from a car rental place. Thats basically just an updated more punchy Protege5.

Other than that maybe a Sentra SE-R of the suggested Neon time frame? They're pretty cheap, and came as automatics as long as it isn't the SpecV version, but you'll be down 10HP from the SpecV. If you want to go a bit bigger an Altima SE-R might be interesting, assuming one can be found.

JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
12/15/14 8:52 p.m.

Matrix/Vibe twins?

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
12/15/14 9:06 p.m.

That's like asking whether there are there any venereal diseases that don't suck to have.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/15/14 9:08 p.m.

I like my corollas, but by most definitions, they're boring. I also like mazda3s. I own both.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/15/14 9:10 p.m.

Matrix/Vibe is a good choice and the 1ZZ is an excellent engine for a daily driver. Same for the Mazda3, though the 2.3 gets mediocre mileage. B15 SE-R is an interesting choice, but the issues with oil consumption and pre-cat destruction makes them a bit of a gamble. Any non-wagon Focus may not be a bad choice, as the SVT suspension upgrade is a whole $300 from Ford Racing.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
12/15/14 9:18 p.m.

Dunno how cheap Acura TSXs are but they debuted in 2004. Find one without nav and save a few bucks - very pleasant driver.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
12/15/14 9:19 p.m.

So if I had to suck it up and drive a small, 4cyl auto I might not drive myself off a bridge?

I'm gonna miss shifting but it seems like I might be able to manage for awhile...

Thanks so far and please keep it coming!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/15/14 9:34 p.m.

Its funny, I have an ms3 chock full of go fast bits and suspenders. I also have a pair of ~20 year old corollas that have cost me 500$. Combined. The ms3 has more power than said corollas, combined, and more tire. I love driving the corollas. They're slushboxes. I (obviously) prefer the wagon because wagon. When I drive it, it gives me time to focus on my hand placement, apexing, things like that, without having to deal with the ms3 power or clutch or washboard suspension. Its a pure, distilled experience. So, yes you can drive a slushbox car without resorting to seppuku. It just takes a car you like and an adjustment in mind set.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
12/16/14 5:11 a.m.

In reply to mndsm:

I figure you're a busy guy (we all are right?) but can you do a quick sell on the Corolla? You've done well so far but I'm interested in how your mind works! (And how the Corolla works). It seems we have a similar mindset.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
12/16/14 7:17 a.m.

I thought the first gen Altima with an automatic was decent to drive. Probably because of the torque on tap with the 2.4. Not sure what the rest of the hive thinks of this one.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
12/16/14 7:45 a.m.

Mndsm has it right. I drive a CooperS, but when we go anywhere we take my wife's Scion xB (with automatic) and I love the darned thing. It can't beat the MINI on any measurable test, but that doesn't mean it can't be a fun vehicle.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
12/16/14 8:03 a.m.
pres589 wrote: I thought the first gen Altima with an automatic was decent to drive. Probably because of the torque on tap with the 2.4. Not sure what the rest of the hive thinks of this one.

I too was going to say early Altima. The current Camry sized car came out in '02 but up till '01 they were sized larger than a Civic but smaller than an Accord. They have a big, chain driven (not belt) 150hp, 2.4L 4 cyl engine. That's a big 4cyl.
I have driven the Altima but never owned one. It was the same engine as my 240sx and same as the Nissan pickup.
A big engine does help to make up for an automatic.

The downsides are that this big engine is only rated for 19/21/26 mpg.
For comparison, a Pontiac Bonneville w/GM3800 is rated at 17/20/27 mpg

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
12/16/14 8:04 a.m.

1997 Toyota Avalon.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
12/16/14 8:05 a.m.

How about a clean protege5 automatic?

I might be able to be convinced to let mine go.

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
12/16/14 8:10 a.m.

Think Korean

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
12/16/14 8:42 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: How about a clean protege5 automatic? I might be able to be convinced to let mine go.

I actually own a manual 2002 but I'm selling it for personal reasons, otherwise it's a great car.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
12/16/14 9:01 a.m.

I'd include 6 cylinder cars in my search if I were you. The motor is usually so much less stressed they last longer and get comparable mileage since you don't have to wring them out all the time. GM 3800 was mentioned, a nice Buick from 2000 will run forever and be comfy for you and the kids.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
12/16/14 9:22 a.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory:

Figured that if you liked the car but needed auto, you might want It.

Love my p5. Automatic second gen neon is not a bad choice either. Loved the 2000 I had before handing over to my brother in law.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 New Reader
12/16/14 9:30 a.m.

For it to work with the auto, it really needs to be pretty torquey...which most 4 bangers aren't. Stepping up to a six usually makes a pretty big difference power wise, without losing too much economy. I guess it depends on what you're after. Automatics like to upshift a little too often and a little too early, so the more oomph down low, the more fun it will be. The supercharged (and even the NA) 3800s are decent. I actually don't mind the auto in my SVX either, now that it has the proper final drive in it. Having some kind of sport mode often makes a big difference too.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
12/16/14 9:31 a.m.
pres589 wrote: I thought the first gen Altima with an automatic was decent to drive. Probably because of the torque on tap with the 2.4. Not sure what the rest of the hive thinks of this one.

Wife bought one new. At that time it was rated much higher with the slushbox than the stick. It had plenty of power & was invisible to the cops. I can't remember the numbers but it did get pretty good gas mileage. Neither of us ever actually enjoyed driving it. We haven't bought a new slushbox ride since.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
12/16/14 9:37 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

Ok, thank you!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/16/14 9:38 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: In reply to mndsm: I figure you're a busy guy (we all are right?) but can you do a quick sell on the Corolla? You've done well so far but I'm interested in how your mind works! (And how the Corolla works). It seems we have a similar mindset.

Always happy. Here's the skinny. There's 3 real generations I prefer. The ae92 which is ~88-92 iirc. Available in both Geo and Toyota flavors. I don't remember offhand what the base motor is, probably the 5a. Its the lightest of the 3 generations.2 door, 4 door, wagon!, and 5 door are available. No real weaknesses other than age. If you get your hands on a prism LSI you've got a gem, because that's got a factory 4ag. I'm still not sure how that happened. 3 speed auto or 5 speed manual. Tin worm kills.

Next up is the ae101. These are my jam. Its like the guys that like civics, I like these. 93-98, Toyota and Geo flavor. 2 motors, 5a and 7a. 7a is only in the wagon. 3 and 4 speed autos, and 5 speed manual. 4ag was available overseas, is a drop and swap affair. Last gen of the a series motors. I've owned a couple of these.

Ae103, the last of the prism line. 4 door only. 3 speed? Auto and 5 manual. 1zz motor. 2zz and a 6 speed is the hot ticket here. Most suspension still plays nice across all 3 gens. Wagon suspension is the same as sedans.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/16/14 9:39 a.m.

Protege 5 is a great car, but the auto, IMHO was buzzy. If you don't mind that, they are a super buy.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
12/16/14 9:40 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

I'm a big 3800 Buick fan too.

But the quirkiness of say an Xb compared to the boringness I the Buick has me thinking.

I could sacrifice some torque (some?) for a more interesting ride... Or can I?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LClS9jtBKDIdePWnM4HvRsHfGaQ8UnJ63qDnKCAFYYpVeTyVmIsgvEm8LhIYGWNf