1 2 3
Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
10/13/16 1:17 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: SN95 Mustangs can be shockingly great around a road circuit. Personally, I'd start with a 96-98 GT and throw on Junkyard PI heads and a new PI intake (not Dorman) for higher compression and a little more power with a hi-test tune. BBK sells a strut tower brace that triangulates with the firewall and is rather good for the money.

I agree that 96-98 GTs are bargains for the money.

All 96-97 GTs already have strut tower braces from the factory. They were removed in 98 I believe because they were found to be unnecessary.

Parts are pretty cheap, as there are so many options, and aftermarket stuff is still being made.

You can save weight by pulling the whole motor from an explorer (aluminum block) if you decide to go with the PI head set up.

I remember talking with the owner of a local modular mustang shop years ago. And their shop 4.6 explorer with intake, exhaust and a tune made 275whp.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
10/13/16 5:12 p.m.

In reply to Cooper_Tired:

And the mod V8s sound so good!

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
10/14/16 9:20 a.m.

Well, decision time. Let's process the thoughts in my head via written word.

I've driven both of these. Both owned by nice older guys who know a thing or two about cars. Both cars were bought so their kids could learn to drive stick. Both were well looked after during their time as the "kids car."

Do I want the cheap little truck? 4 cylinder/5speed/2wd Rangers are fun and it could last forever. Downsides are driving a 2wd baby pickup in the snow (maybe that's just more fun) and only seating for two and no cargo space protected from the weather.

Or do I want the cheap little Honda? It would be slightly more practical than the Ranger and the guy kept great maintenance records. The big pro here is that it's the same platform as Logdog's chumpcar so I would become more familiar with the driving feel and mechanics. It's also got manual steering (from the factory in 1997, I was surprised) which is fun but could become tiresome day to day. Downsides: High (~260k) miles, it burns oil, and it would probably need brake lines in the near future.

Stay tuned. This is the day so whichever I decide it'll be in my driveway by sundown

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xuL7qFRLdJgiTYqJ3DjDKnJ6b20tkWTIp5OpppVc6bXAM2KyLPdNHiVpPwDxu5ES