1 2 3
w123mb
w123mb New Reader
11/21/22 5:25 p.m.

I'm one of those tall guys that swears by mini's- 6'4 and 37" inseam and i fit with helmet and very minor slouch in stock seats. Was able to put aftermarket seats/sliders/brackets 3" lower from stock which helps. Next up is getting the steering wheel a little closer......

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/21/22 5:33 p.m.

I'm 6'4"tall.  Supra. Not.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/22 5:34 p.m.

Oh, one more - I test-fitted myself into an early S2 Elise and the fit was similar to my '17 86, maybe a little tighter (in terms of headroom, laterally there's a lot less gap to the passenger seat). Getting in and out is another matter though, and if you have big feet that car might be your worst enemy...

Toebra
Toebra Dork
11/21/22 6:06 p.m.
z31maniac said:

I'm short at 5'8" but I'm also mostly torso. 

The basketball analogy falls flat, Muggsy Bogues was 5'3" and could dunk. 

No he couldn't.  Spud Webb could at 5' 8"

Tall fits in a Porsche, even a 914

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/21/22 7:16 p.m.

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

My son loves my Subarus too.  He fits fine with the helmet too.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
11/21/22 7:25 p.m.

6'4" here with a lot of leg.  After much surgery and seat fitting my mk1 rabbit fits me like a glove, and I get clown car points.  My Tesla M3P fits me pretty well as the edge of it's adjustment.  

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
11/21/22 7:42 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I'm 6'4"tall.  Supra. Not.

Yep, that's the gymnastics I was referring to.

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/21/22 7:49 p.m.

C5-C7 Corvettes are great if you have long legs. The seat goes waaay back. Not as great for the long torso crowd, though, especially if you need to fit with a helmet. Aftermarket seats can help with that though.

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/21/22 7:50 p.m.

S197 Mustang GT is extremely comfortable for me at 6'1", 230 lbs and 30" inseam with 14w feet.  Plenty of room every direction.

Also on my list is the E46 BMW.  My 06 330ci was also super comfortable.

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 New Reader
11/21/22 8:12 p.m.

At 6' 1", I can drive street Miatas and Boxster/Caymans, but there is no extra legroom at all (especially the Miatas). Wearing a helmet in my Cayman is okay, except my head is constantly against the roof over the side window. It must be that I'm used to that, because I used to race a Spec Miata - I had the aluminum seat mounted to the floor, but my helmet still hit the roll cage bar that went over the side window. Same with my first gen RX7.

I've driven a X1/9 and don't remember it being a problem.

In the past I worked with a guy who was 6' 7", but had a 31" inseam, so his torso was comically long. He could only drive pickup trucks, because they had lots of headroom.

FieroReinke
FieroReinke Reader
11/21/22 9:03 p.m.

I'd you don't fit, like me at 6'4" and mostly torso, just build the car to fit you.  I have no problems fitting in my Locost 7 smiley

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/21/22 9:06 p.m.

I'm 6'2" (34" inseam) 235 lbs. with size 13 feet. I like to sit upright. A lot of compact cars from the '80s and '90s work for me.

My racecar is a 190E Cosworth. Plenty of room for my helmeted head, even with a full cage. The E30 platform fits me very well. Same for various Lancers: I've owned all generations (an Evo 2, 5, and 8) and they all fit me fine. My sister had a second generation Mini Cooper, which was HUGE inside. Lots of options.

Modern cars seem much more cramped inside, even thought they're bigger in every dimension. 

ojannen
ojannen Reader
11/21/22 9:14 p.m.

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

E36 325i or e46 330i.  Replace the sunroof cassette with a blanking plate for extra headroom.  Unicorns with slicktops generally don't exist in that range.

I'm just a whisker under 6'2" with a 34" inseam. Another vote for the twins. I fit just dandy in my FR-S, even with a helmet. I extended the steering hub, which made a big difference. I sit with the seat slid all the way back. I recently switched to aftermarket seats and got a couple inches lower in the car, so now I have lots of headroom.

My other car is a Suzuki Cappuccino, which is snug, but doable. I haven't tried a helmet with the roof on yet. Legroom isn't great, but way better than the AZ-1! Narrower than an early Miata, but roomier than a Lotus Seven! I'm constantly amazed at how many people watch me pull up and get out, and then ask, "You fit in that thing?" I've stopped the snarky of course answers and now I respond with, "Yeah, but just wait 'til the other nine clowns climb out!" laugh

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/21/22 10:22 p.m.

Opened this thread expecting to read lots of responses from people who aren't tall saying they fit fine in cars.

Wasn't disappointed. 

Nativopr
Nativopr
11/21/22 10:24 p.m.

This is a great subject which should have a two part divided by budget.

Am 6'3" 250+Lbs and one of my first demands for a car is head & leg room. For that reason I've stuck with cars longer than most because once you feel comfortable don't want to risk it.

Currently stuck with an 1998 Subaru Impreza with a complete jdm power & drivetrain swap, and for that matter any wrx/sti would provide plenty of room.
For that matter taller individuals should consider an aftermarket reclinable bucket seat  as part of getting a sport car.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/22 8:16 a.m.
OHSCrifle said:

Opened this thread expecting to read lots of responses from people who aren't tall saying they fit fine in cars.

Wasn't disappointed. 

I'm seeing mostly replies from people at 6ft+ which seems reasonable, so tell us Wilt, what should be the minimum height to ride this thread? cheeky

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/22 9:28 a.m.

6'3-6'5 depending on who you ask and time of day, 35" inseam.  First generation RX-7s.

The black car has tall-person mods like a driver's seat that has held my bony butt for something like 220k miles across two different cars so it is well broken in like a Brooks saddle, an extended shifter, and a 2" extended steering wheel.  Fit with a helmet just fine.

Red car is an '81 with its less bulky dashboard and vinyl headliner, but it has '84-85 seats which sit higher if they have not been crushed over twenty years of ownership.  No tall-boy mods.  Fits real well too.

Not getting a roll cage in either one, mind you.

Berck
Berck Reader
11/22/22 9:52 a.m.

6'2", and I fit just fine in an Autozam, if I don't have to close the door or work the pedals.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/22/22 9:55 a.m.

At 6'1 and a 34 Inseam, I tend to run out of leg room first or on a smaller car, I end up with the B pillar even with the shoulder. I am super comfy in the Twins. That was actually the best fit that I've had. I fit well in my integra. Because of the short torso, I do pretty well in the NA and NC miatas. (Needed thin shoes for the NC) 911 is like a perfect fit. the 997.1 and .2 were like made for me. I'm sure the 981 is too just have never driven one. 

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
11/22/22 9:56 a.m.

6'-3" here and I fit decently well into my RX8 R3 (no sunroof), having to only lean back slightly with a helmet. I had to practically lay down in my old sunroof equipped FC with a helmet. My current sunroof-less 2015 WRX fits my helmeted head with room to spare. My wife's 2019 Rav4 with sunroof has significantly less headroom than the WRX.

I think in general tall people will have better luck in sports sedans or hot hatch type cars than "sports cars".

Pete. (l33t FS)
11/22/22 10:05 a.m.

In reply to RX8driver :

I had an FC, a GXL.

I realized I could never had a good time with it when I got in with my helmet and had to scoot the seat all the way forward so I could lay the seatback so far that it crushed the bin area and I still had not much headroom and could still barely reach the steering wheel.

Then I see fidelity101 who is probably taller than me stage rallying an FC and I am all, WTF

I want to like the ND Miata.  I really do.  It is everything I want in a new car, except it has a whole lot of Little Tykes plastic inside.

I can drive NBs, barely.  I can drive NAs like they were gloves.  Fit wonderful.  With a hardtop, fit better than an SA RX-7 even.

I sat in an ND once.  Customer car, someone else was working on it.  The problem is there is so much berking plastic in the interior that the seatback can't be moved back enough to make enough headroom to be able to drive it, because the dashboard is so bulky with plastic bullE36 M3 that there isn't room to poke your knees up between the dashboard and steering wheel.

Low inseam people right now be like "knees between dash and wheel?"  Yes.  First rule of tall people club is you can't put your legs under the steering column.  This means that driving manual transmissions properly is impossible unless you have unusually articulate ankles.

Second rule of tall people club:  All of your joints south of your hips suck.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/22 10:18 a.m.

6'2" and 350 pounds. A G35 is a pretty good fit. 

Plenty of head and foot room. My only complaint is the narrow seat. If you are under 275 pounds it shouldn't be an issue. 

A7301289.jpg

rattlecan
rattlecan New Reader
11/22/22 10:56 a.m.

6'4" 34" inseam. I fit remarkably well in my buddies r53 mini, even with a helmet. I drive an NA Miata with a deep foamectomy and a 330mm deep dish wheel. My helmet still hits the hardtop on bumps. I'll be moving to cutting out the humps and mounting a seat to the floor soon. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
11/22/22 11:01 a.m.

In reply to rattlecan :

I've never hit my head on the hardtop of an NA but I do scooch so low in the seat that the easy way to open the door involves using my right hand to work the door handle.

What was fun was the first time I drove an NA in anger.  The car's owner is shorter than me, and hard mounted the seat.  I could not reliably reach the brake pedal, which made for an interesting time driving.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
364z0LaDDvqq7iBfBRRJzP5rSDzyMX6ybpaAvmBJFtkZdK0RMERLo6ISzLupBS4N