1 2 3
OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/22/22 11:08 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:
OHSCrifle said:

Opened this thread expecting to read lots of responses from people who aren't tall saying they fit fine in cars.

Wasn't disappointed. 

I'm seeing mostly replies from people at 6ft+ which seems reasonable, so tell us Wilt, what should be the minimum height to ride this thread? cheeky

Here's my yardstick: If you can purchase pants and shirts (that fit) off the rack at normal retail stores... you aren't tall.

If pressed for a number, I'd say tall = 6'-3" or more. 

Love,

Wilt

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/22 11:12 a.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

Difficulty:  Growing up I was used to clothes that didn't fit because it's not like my mom could buy me a new wardrobe every six months.  That is unreasonable.

Off the rack clothes seem to stop at 34 inseam.  It was 20 years before I realized my inseam was 35.  All the same, it is really hard, but possible, to find 28-34 pants.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
11/22/22 11:17 a.m.

6'2" here but with legs long enough I had to modify the seat tracks on a Kia Soul to get enough leg room. Some good and bad fits:

Good - 

C4 Corvette

Ford Focus

Mk II MR2

E36 BMW

American 1960s era cars

Modern VW products 

Bad -

Mk I MR2

NA or NB Miata 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/22 11:34 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

How long are your legs that you don't fit a Soul?

billy69
billy69 New Reader
11/22/22 1:40 p.m.

6'7"  300+ i fit the new mustang and can shift, i dont fit the new camaro or corvette.

TR7 (Forum Supporter)
TR7 (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/22/22 1:47 p.m.

6'-ish. I can get my helmeted head into my 944, any VWs, corvettes, or 4th gen F-body no problem, but the 996 I cannot (surprise!). NA miata had no chance.... 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
11/22/22 2:48 p.m.
J.A. Ackley said:
M007chan said:

I'd suggest the Mazda RX8; but only without the factory sunroof and leather seats. The sunroof eats at least an inch of headroom due to the rails and the leather seats, even at the lowest position, are still higher than the cloth seats, although there's a partial work around where the rear mounting of the seat pan can be inverted.

The RX-8 has always tempted me, but I've been worried about fit. I got to give one a try.

when i had an rx8 as a daily i chopped off the brackets for the seat that mounts the rails to the chassis and fabricated some extensions and welded it up so i could slide the front seat all the way back to the rear seat - very easy to do and was very comfortable

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
11/22/22 3:17 p.m.

At 6'-1", down from my youthful 6'-2", I can fit in my Z32, but I do have my knees somewhat around the steering wheel, but everything else is fine, provided I enter the car butt first.

For a DD, my SQ5 fits me just fine, and is more like a sports car in SUV disguise.

curtisr
curtisr
11/22/22 6:27 p.m.

I had to sell my beloved '82 Porsche 928 (with sunroof) for reasons of height.  The same went for my 2005 Crossfire.  Looking back, I wish I had i) deleted the sunroof and ii) installed a racing seat such as a Kirkey which might not be the best for long-hauls but  would give me the extra space I needed.  At 6'4" I can say that my '84 Nissan/Datsun 300zx is just fine.  Well, at least once I removed the driver's sun visor.  :D

redptc
redptc New Reader
11/22/22 10:35 p.m.

I'm 6'4" and my 2016 Golf R fits great.  My guess is that the new Mark 8 Golf R and GTI would also be fine.

te72
te72 HalfDork
11/23/22 1:25 a.m.

You guys are making me realize that being short is a blessing in disguise. I'm about 5'-8" but like a 32" inseam. Long legs, short arms, I'm kinda like a t-rex. I have to sit very upright to reach the wheel and still be able to work the pedals in most cars.

Exocet is about the coziest car I've had, I set up the passenger seat so one particularly tall friend of mine could ride shotgun. No way he could drive the thing, but it has tons of leg room!

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/23/22 6:05 a.m.

In reply to redptc :

The Mark 8 GTI/R has an absolute mountain of room for the driver.  I looked at one a few months ago and was shocked at how comfortable it was up front.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
11/23/22 7:30 a.m.

At a Lemons race I saw a 6'10" guy racing an RX8. He'd dropped the seat, but still I'm very impressed.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/23/22 10:08 a.m.

Im just under 6' now(thanks back probs), but i fit in my E36 coupe with room to spare. Im a non-fat 225lbs or so. Wide shoulders and bigger arms. 

but i wear a size 14 shoe and depending on the stile, my shoe fills the gap between the floor and under-dash. Encountering resistance with your foot when you are reaching for the brakes isnt fun. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
11/23/22 10:26 a.m.

I had a BMW 318ti without a sunroof and that car was great. Lots of space for my long neck and pretty roomy in general.

I really wish there was a modern equivalent, a rwd hot hatch basically.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J5adkmPYMF8h4dY2EmLMVMLwtfVny0odexBLWpsjkAt1GtK3OjEvZzO9okZftEG6