HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
7/8/12 9:20 p.m.

I hate them. But lots of my friends and relitives own them, and ask me to do most of thier repairs and maintenance, because I do good work for a fair price.

Anyway, I'll cut to the chase, my friend has a 2000 Galant with a 4cyl. It likes to eat rear motor mounts. According to Google, It seems that this a common problem for these cars.

However, my Google-foo must be weak, beacause I can't find any information leading me to a solution.

Does anyone here know of a a source for a motorsports grade, or heavy duty motor mount set for this car? How about those stiffening inserts for OEM type mounts, are those available for this car? Genuine OEM mounts are stupid expensive, and I don't know if they will last any longer.

We've been using NAPA mounts,which I think are made by Anchor, so maybe not the best ever, but not chinese junk either. .

KATYB
KATYB HalfDork
7/8/12 10:25 p.m.

but new mount and fill with window weld.

sammage
sammage New Reader
7/9/12 11:41 p.m.

Double check all the mounts are intact. On a friend's FWD car, he kept snapping grade 8 motor mount bolts, until he "discovered" an unseen mount was allowing enough slack. Most Mitsu mounts I have seen had less rubber left than a Lightning after a 1/4 mile pass/

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
7/10/12 6:30 a.m.

In reply to sammage: The only mount that hasn't been changed in the last 2 years is the trans mount, it seems ok. This car doesn't seem to have any type of bobble strut or upper mount with the purpose of damping fore and aft movement. If you've ever seen one of these you know the front and rear motor mounts are soft and kind of flimsy.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/10/12 7:06 a.m.

You could always try making new friends

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/12 8:00 a.m.

just make sure they don't drive VWs

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/10/12 8:12 a.m.

For the most part they are good appliances. Everyone I know that has one can not say anything really good about them however they would get another.

yamaha
yamaha Reader
7/10/12 9:53 a.m.

I like my spare mitsu tv......

and the solution is to break out the welder and craft a solid mount.....your friend will never notice

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
7/10/12 10:36 a.m.

Put your foot down. "Family, friends, from this point onward, I am not doing any work on Mitsubishis of any kind. If you want me to work on your cars, buy something else."

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
7/10/12 10:43 a.m.
KATYB wrote: but new mount and fill with window weld.
HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
7/10/12 11:50 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Put your foot down. "Family, friends, from this point onward, I am not doing any work on Mitsubishis of any kind. If you want me to work on your cars, buy something else."

I like this option

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
7/10/12 11:57 a.m.

i sure warn my friends and family away from them, but i don't mind making a pile of money off the car.

4g63t
4g63t HalfDork
7/10/12 12:03 p.m.

I like they have a dogE36M3 reputation. Keeps em cheap for Me.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/10/12 12:20 p.m.

Maybe the question should be:

"Why don't you like Mitsus?"

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
7/10/12 12:45 p.m.
KATYB wrote: but new mount and fill with window weld.

How is this done?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
7/10/12 12:46 p.m.
4g63t wrote: I like they have a dogE36M3 reputation. Keeps em cheap for Me.

I can appreciate that, I feel the same about SAAB.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
7/10/12 12:48 p.m.
noddaz wrote: Maybe the question should be: "Why don't you like Mitsus?"

If I had my own shop and was charging time & material to work in them I'd probably feel differently

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
7/10/12 12:55 p.m.

fill with windoweld. cover with duct tape. lay in the sun for 24 hours. install.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
7/10/12 5:25 p.m.

Polyurethane... Energy Suspension Parts.com

90moneypit
90moneypit
9/15/12 3:51 a.m.
belteshazzar wrote: fill with windoweld. cover with duct tape. lay in the sun for 24 hours. install.

This is a common enough 'trick' for stiffening up the motor mount on DSM's to help prevent motor mount failure. In my case it led to breaking the engine cradle... The cruel fact is that the energy has to go somewhere! I'd look at the chassis and see if the problem lies there. If not, recommend to the driver to ease up on the gas pedal... It's a Galant people mover, not a race car! Filling the mount will increase the felt vibration inside the car so make sure they expect that as well. Filling the mount is a band-aid, but make sure to fill all of them if you do it to help spread the load more evenly.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
9/15/12 7:55 a.m.

Automatics are nowhere near as hard on motor mounts and ..i guess.. engine cradles as 'enthusiast driven' manuals are. If the OP were to fill the mount i doubt it would lead to any later problems.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
9/15/12 8:01 a.m.

^^^ that

personally i've never seen an engine cradle problem that wasn't the result of physical impact. leave it to mitsubishi to find new ways to fail, i guess.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
9/15/12 8:50 a.m.

I barely even see Mitsubushis on the road anymore and I don't know anyone that drives them. Sadly, I can't even remember the last time I saw an Evo. Do they still make them? I think Mitsu dropped off the radar screen years ago.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cqVEm1eJoQUL2Wl5mjo1mpXIzIsi1YsigDSDSVjmm7TC2sQeYKitx4bCUvW6DIWd