1 2 3
slowride
slowride Reader
8/16/13 10:33 a.m.

Saw this on Hooniverse...

http://hooniverse.com/2013/08/16/braking-news-ate-super-blue-deemed-illegal-for-us-distribution/#more-140799

I used this in my old Honda and got a note from the delaership that they thought I had put wiper fluid in my master cylinder.

Leafy
Leafy New Reader
8/16/13 10:42 a.m.

Well thats lame. I loved it for switching between the blue and amber to make sure I got a complete bleed.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/13 10:43 a.m.

Wow, that's incredibly... stupid. Sucks for ATE, too. Nearly 90% of the cars I tech in Autocross run ATE (the regular and Super Blue alternatively, which is how they were designed).

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/16/13 10:45 a.m.

$21 shipped per liter on Amazon. Get it while you can!

I just ordered 3 liters.

Leafy
Leafy New Reader
8/16/13 10:45 a.m.

Yeah lets see how fast we can make it run out.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
8/16/13 10:51 a.m.

Well damn... I got 4L of it sitting on my shelf.... Too bad you can't color it yourself.... HINT HINT

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
8/16/13 10:53 a.m.

Stupid, stupid, STUPID.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Reader
8/16/13 10:55 a.m.

Lame. I just placed my order for 3 liters on Amazon. I think I still have one full can in the shop. That ought to last me a few years.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/16/13 10:57 a.m.

Looks like the can now has a "not for highway use" label. I wonder if that means they will still sell it.

http://www.amazon.com/ATE-706302-Original-Super-Racing/dp/B002TQ0WM4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1376668545&sr=8-3&keywords=super+blue

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/16/13 10:58 a.m.

When blue brake fluid is outlawed only outlaws will have blue brake fluid

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
8/16/13 10:59 a.m.

You calling us outlaws?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/16/13 10:59 a.m.

It has never been DOT legal because it's not clear in color. That is why Typ200 is the same exact stuff but clear. ATE has never claimed it was DOT certified, only that it meets the criteria for it from a performance standpoint. Continental must have just figured that out... but it's never, ever been legal and it isn't news.

No one cares though and I've used it and typ200 alternatively (so you know when you have flushed the whole system) on cars for the last 15 years. Never failed an inspection.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/13 11:10 a.m.

Florida noticed this first, they're the only state we know of that's kicked up a fuss about it.

On the shelf at FM at our normal price. We'll confirm the "no longer distributed" story ourselves instead of trusting internet "news".

slowride
slowride Reader
8/16/13 11:13 a.m.

There is a press release from Continental about it though.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/16/13 11:20 a.m.

I did actually add some to my amazon order for exhaust parts.. But I actually need I'm not hoarding to cause a shortage

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 HalfDork
8/16/13 11:20 a.m.

Yeah, this is crappy, but it sounds like they might be able to keep selling it with a "racing only" label. I don't think that's doing to change their market much, so hopefully they don't discontinue it permanently.

Leafy
Leafy New Reader
8/16/13 11:23 a.m.

Its already labeled not for highway use just like hoosier DOT slicks. Maybe they're just making them take the DOT4 branding off it.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
8/16/13 11:31 a.m.

Cold dead fingers yadda yadda yadda!

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
8/16/13 12:29 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: Well damn... I got 4L of it sitting on my shelf.... Too bad you can't color it yourself.... *HINT HINT*

my thoughts were blue food coloring ... but that's water based, could be a problem with something designed to resist boiling up to 500° ...

surely there's a chemist on here that can point us towards something that is blue in color and wouldn't degrade the boiling point of the Ate

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
8/16/13 12:32 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Florida noticed this first, they're the only state we know of that's kicked up a fuss about it. On the shelf at FM at our normal price. We'll confirm the "no longer distributed" story ourselves instead of trusting internet "news".

my supplier got the Continental letter .. they responded with shelf quantities ... there is a $10,000 fine to sell it after that response

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
8/16/13 12:35 p.m.
Leafy wrote: Its already labeled not for highway use just like hoosier DOT slicks. Maybe they're just making them take the DOT4 branding off it.

Then what standard is the fluid? The DOT grade is more then letters on the can/bottle....

Leafy
Leafy New Reader
8/16/13 12:37 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote:
Leafy wrote: Its already labeled not for highway use just like hoosier DOT slicks. Maybe they're just making them take the DOT4 branding off it.
Then what standard is the fluid? The DOT grade is more then letters on the can/bottle....

Well right now it says that its DOT4 fluid, which its not because its blue and blue fluid cant meet all the DOT4 standards. So its a racing brake fluid with specific temp properties and is compatible with DOT3/4 braking systems.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
8/16/13 12:44 p.m.

I love how they cite a bunch of federal laws, without actually citing them.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
8/16/13 12:57 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: I love how they cite a bunch of federal laws, without actually citing them.

this is what I've found

Originally Posted by Code of Federal Regulations FMVSS 116, Effective 1-1-68, amended 3-1-72. S5.1.14 Fluid color. Brake fluid and hydraulic system mineral oil shall be of the color indicated: DOT 3, DOT 4, AND DOT 5.1 NON-SBBF—COLORLESS TO AMBER. DOT 5 SBBF—PURPLE. HYDRAULIC SYSTEM MINERAL OIL—GREEN.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
8/16/13 12:59 p.m.
slowride wrote: There is a press release from Continental about it though.

this is a copy of the letter

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Va1gErKR8hmYtfKpiHGQQM6o377if4Plviz0sPpGAQ7Nv3G5OnWGZx4nIhVPNi54