1 2
stroker
stroker UberDork
6/10/21 9:43 p.m.

Got a line on a potential Malaise/Radwood/Gastropod candidate.  I intend for it to be used as a regular (mebbe not daily) driver.  There is no Objective reason for me to have this car.  It'll cost me money I shouldn't spend (and can barely afford) every month for insurance, registration, personal property taxes, etc.  It saves me no money on gas mileage.

But I want it. 

No, I'm not going to tell you what it is.  That shouldn't matter to the debate.  For $2K I can't get hurt too badly.  

Arguments for/against?

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
6/10/21 9:46 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

I see nothing wrong with this plan - where are the photos and when is the build thread starting!

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
6/10/21 11:00 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

Not knowing your situation I cannot in a clear conscience advise you.  But working on the right car is great fun. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/10/21 11:04 p.m.

Ok, but how about this, if you don't register it and only tow it down you can still Challenge it and enter it into the appropriate category?

You buy it, you race it, you hang out with it, money situation gets better, then you register it properly and daily drive it if you want to.

What's to lose?

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/10/21 11:15 p.m.

I need to know how Malaise. 

I love lightweight inline 4 manual transmission Radwood/gastropod fun.

But if we're talking an AWD automatic tempo or topaz or a diesel tempo, then I can not recommend. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/11/21 1:59 a.m.

Nope no recommendation without full specs and photos.  The fact you are asking without this information says this is most likely a very bad decision.  But hey, you want it, buy it!

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
6/11/21 5:18 a.m.

With such limited information I'll ask these questions - do you have space for another car? Is the spouse ok with another car in the driveway? Do you have the TIME to work on this car?

When you think about all the vices that are out there - drugs, drinking, smoking etc...well, I'd say one $2000 car isnt that bad. Sure, you'll put a little into it, but youll also sell some off of it too. So then it'll just take some time, but, again, do you have the time?

...But, then again, if you can barely afford your normal stuff (taxes and insurance), is adding to your recurring expenses a good idea? Do you have ideas on where you could trim from your budget to make up for the new insurance costs?

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/21 5:28 a.m.

In reply to stroker :

I agree, for $2k you're probably not going to lose money regardless of what it is. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/11/21 6:21 a.m.

I'm here for the reveal...and the enabling. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/21 6:36 a.m.

Some of you gents suck at enabling. 

Did you get it yet?

Why not?

We need pictures!

Do it already.

You know you want to.

I can honestly say buying a car is always a wise choice.

You only live once and you cant take it with you. 

Some things are more important than savings. Cars are some things. 

How about now?

Still waiting on the pictures.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
6/11/21 7:25 a.m.

Until your car count moves to a second hand, you can't really consider it a "problem".

Besides, insurance and registration on something old and cheap is VERY affordable.

Pics?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/11/21 8:31 a.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

I need to know how Malaise. 

I love lightweight inline 4 manual transmission Radwood/gastropod fun.

But if we're talking an AWD automatic tempo or topaz or a diesel tempo, then I can not recommend. 

Good point. How "malaise" is malaise? (FWIW, I loved my '75 Catalina wagon.)

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
6/11/21 8:33 a.m.

Be like Nike.

JUST DO IT.

zordak
zordak Reader
6/11/21 8:52 a.m.

Ask yourself "How bad am I going to feel if I don"t get it?"

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/11/21 9:02 a.m.
stroker said:

Got a line on a potential Malaise/Radwood/Gastropod candidate.  I intend for it to be used as a regular (mebbe not daily) driver.  There is no Objective reason for me to have this car.  It'll cost me money I shouldn't spend (and can barely afford) every month for insurance, registration, personal property taxes, etc.  It saves me no money on gas mileage.

I'll be that guy.

Sounds like a dumb move.  Don't do it.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/11/21 9:05 a.m.
stroker said:

It'll cost me money I shouldn't spend (and can barely afford)

If you can barely afford it, that would be the argument against it for me. 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/11/21 9:29 a.m.

Do it. Get the car and let us revel in the crusty old majestic malaise malcontent.

KyAllroad said:

Until your car count moves to a second hand, you can't really consider it a "problem".

Crap. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/11/21 9:36 a.m.

What does mental therapy cost? Is the cost of this vehicle less than a full program and (possible) drug regime? Will the joy of owning said vehicle be greater than any possible regret of ownership? You know the answer. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/11/21 9:50 a.m.

Going to the challenge was a bucket list item for me. A good opportunity came along and ignoring all the good reasons for not doing it ( much the same as yours) I took a shot. I failed in the end but am so very glad that I tried. I learned a lot. We had a lot of fun building the car. Financially I had the car gone by about the time people were driving home from the challenge and it was not any kind of a financial loss.

Unless you really think you are going to win this thing, what you show up in does not matter one iota.  In my opinion,the finish line for a challenge build is arriving on site and passing tech. 

Pete

STM317
STM317 UberDork
6/11/21 9:56 a.m.

Don't let toys put you in an insecure or at risk position.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/11/21 9:57 a.m.

Would you be getting it for the dopamine fix of finding it and purchasing it or for the Oxytocin fix from repairing it, getting it and keeping it road worthy and making it better than it was when you got it? 

I'd for the dopamine, pass, if for the oxytocin, go for it. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/11/21 11:03 a.m.
STM317 said:

Don't let toys put you in an insecure or at risk position.

Good advice. I'm only here because I ignored it. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/21 3:48 p.m.
KyAllroad said:

I feel attacked. 

What do you call it when you have passed the second hand and moved on to feet?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/11/21 5:56 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 + Sized and :

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/21 6:17 p.m.

Just Do It Blank Template - Imgflip

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tbIhULFSnkD1JJnPibQsh1mUXaH2ocmiAjouhSNiOwg1YRQonwhBDI77JTIjxXHS