GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/11/14 8:27 a.m.

A Samurai's taillight housings are arranged so that the bulb sockets are facing upwards. These will collect water. This will cause the bulbs to rust-fuse into the sockets, and after you peel them out piece by piece with needle-nosed pliers, you'll either have to painstakingly sand the rust off of the sockets or replace the entire taillight housing.

If you don't already have this problem, I'd recommend removing your taillight bulbs, greasing the taillights generously (with vaseline would be best I guess?) and putting the bulbs back in.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
3/11/14 8:31 a.m.

edizzle89
edizzle89 New Reader
3/11/14 8:41 a.m.

dielectric grease is always a good choice of any electrical connection thats exposed to elements

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
3/11/14 8:42 a.m.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
3/11/14 11:25 a.m.

Since both bumpers were removed on all mine, I used Jeep Wrangler tailights bolted to the body up high on the corners. Never had to deal with that problem.

GameboyRMH
3/11/14 12:08 p.m.

Hmm interesting...I'd need Euro-legal taillights though.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
3/11/14 1:33 p.m.

What about the Euro Spec Wrangler Taillights?

GameboyRMH
3/11/14 1:35 p.m.

Hmmm this can work...Stock sammy reverse lights are a joke anyway Think I'll look into this instead of an aftermarket rear bumper.

airwerks
airwerks Reader
3/11/14 2:19 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Hmmm this can work...Stock sammy reverse lights are a joke anyway Think I'll look into this in addition to an aftermarket rear bumper.

Ftfy

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/11/14 2:23 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

I replaced a brake light on mine yesterday and noticed that. What a stupid design for a off road vehicle.

GameboyRMH
3/11/14 2:26 p.m.

I'm gonna check if it's possible to flip the taillight housings, left to right and upside-down.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
3/11/14 3:01 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote:

But is that synthetic?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
3/11/14 4:10 p.m.
jstein77 wrote:
N Sperlo wrote:
But is that synthetic?

NOPE

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/11/14 7:32 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: I'm gonna check if it's possible to flip the taillight housings, left to right and upside-down.

I tried that this afternoon. It looks like it would take some wiring to get that to work and I'm not sure I want to cut the harness. The turn signals made the brake light flash. It appears the plugs are wired different. I didn't dig into it too deep. They will mount up though.

beanco
beanco New Reader
3/13/14 12:09 p.m.

you have to use a tail light converter for trailers to get after market light to work, I use one from jeep Cherokees. stop turn tail style

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B4YrNQDPYYRlQbSSOF1jz8LdmveU0w1zQYX6zDo2UDUdgR1WotZImAB36DEKU5oB