captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
7/30/20 10:10 p.m.

So we bought a TDI Jetta Wagen last year for the wife with the 6 speed manual. Her left knee had issues so we sold it on and now I'm looking for a decent mileage burner for work transit. This would be an auto in case she needs to drive it, but I love the looks of them and believe them to be somewhat similar in architecture. Am I right on that? Run away? I can get a decent looking one with 60k or less miles for around 10-11k which seems like a good deal to me?

I love hatchbacks or wagons. This seems to meet my needs, but I really don't want or need any over the top German maintenance. 2011 to 13 seems to be within the range of options. What say ye?

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/30/20 10:28 p.m.

I would run away. 

but given you pulled the trigger on a TDI wagon as late as last year, for you I say, buy it 

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
7/30/20 10:39 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

To be fair our ownership with the wagen was a probably a 2 month period.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/30/20 11:08 p.m.

Well in that case, I have been a wagon owner, since my first 81 Subaru DL Wagon. Always had Toyota/Subaru/Honda wagons in the fleet.

In your budget, I would pick up a TSX Wagon. I absolutely adore mine. Good luck.  I can't afford German, so I don't go close to that stuff. 

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
7/31/20 2:18 a.m.

Maintenance is only cheap if you do it yourself, avoid the pano roof cars, try to get one with a factory powertrain warranty. 

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
7/31/20 7:57 a.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

I saw one of those pop up the other day. It had 160k if I remember correctly but I assume that's just baby miles? Timing chain or belt replacement? Etc.?

Nofive_0
Nofive_0 Reader
7/31/20 9:23 a.m.

It's basically the same car with less overhang and slightly shorter wheelbase. I've had 3 of them and think they are great cars. If you liked the VW, you'll like the Audi. The DSG is a superb transmission if you have to have an auto. You're on GRM so I assume you will be doing your own maintenance. There is no reason you shouldn't

- OCI is 10k miles. You'll need to buy VW507.00 approved oil. This means you'll need to order it. ~$40. Sometimes the dealer will run oil change deals for like $50. 

- Every other time you change the oil you should change the fuel filter. Easy to do.

- DSG Service is every 40k miles. Entails changing fluid/filter and setting fluid height at a very specific temp. 

- Timing belt is every 130k. It's invovled and not fun. But not impossible. 

- You must have some sort of dealer level diagnostic tool in my opinion. I have OBDeleven. It's about $70 but worth every penny. People like the RossTech VCDS software but it's a bit pricey. There are others out there now too. They all do the same thing. It will make diagnosing a canbus car super easy. When it does break the system generally will tell you exactly what the issue is. 

- After all of the dieselgate buybacks the exhaust systems were updated and the cars come with a pretty big warranty extension on the powertrain. So if you buy one of these that has just been fixed, you will have at most 4years 48k miles.

Vin lookup here to see when it has been fixed. https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/

In my opinion I prefer the Jetta. I actually think the interior quality of materials is higher on the VW, but very similar. 

Check out reguar Golf Tdi's as well. They can had for little to nothing because everyone wants the wagon or the cache of the a3. 

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
7/31/20 9:38 a.m.

In reply to Nofive_0 :

Good stuff. The one I was considering mentioned the 4 year/48k mile warranty, but I wasn't sure how much of it is left on this one or if it's just starting. I'm finding out soon hopefully. Without the warranty I'll pass. Oil changes I don't mind doing, and I've read that people seem to like the DSG.

This is the one I'm considering or at least is at the top of my list just due to trim level. The dealer has quite a few.

Wagon Link

Nofive_0
Nofive_0 Reader
7/31/20 10:05 a.m.

That seems expensive, but also like an exceptional example. 

Get a tune and make some power.

Buy a Chinese market head unit. The RCD 330 is an OEM VW unit that can be had for about $200 and get's you apple car play. 

There are only two really gotchas for these car. The exhaust system, which will be covered under warranty, and the HPFP, which may be covered under the warranty. If the HPFP goes there is a potentiona for getting debris in the fuel system which is no bueno for a common rail diesel with 30k psi of fuel pressure. 

I suggest these to everyone. I'm a bit jealous right now, but I have the other German wagon at the moment. 

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
7/31/20 10:24 a.m.

I don't mind paying a little more for a better specimen, and this one seems to be pretty sharp.

Will the tune void warranty or is it a flash/reflash back to stock kinda thing?

Factory head unit that bad?

Any idea on when to consider HPFP replacement for preventative maintenance?

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
7/31/20 10:27 a.m.

If you do pull the trigger on another TDI, IDparts.com sells the 10k, 20k and 40k service kits.  Way cheaper then anyone else I've been able to find.

Nofive_0
Nofive_0 Reader
7/31/20 11:01 a.m.

IDparts is the cheapest place I can find

The stock head unit is just dated. $200 is a quick way to upgrade the car in a seamless OEM way. It's up to you if CarPlay is worth it to you.

Not much you can do about the HPFP. You might can find out if it's been replaced under recall. My first wagon had the whole fuel system replaced under warranty. 

Depends on the tune. Some of them are vw approved. But generally no need to unflash it.

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
7/31/20 11:07 a.m.

I mainly just want a functional bluetooth and a volume knob preferably over touching screens/buttons. Looks like this doesn't have any auxiliary port or BT, so that would be the first purchase.

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
7/31/20 11:15 a.m.

Carfax says the following was replaced at 59,587 miles:

Nofive_0
Nofive_0 Reader
7/31/20 11:44 a.m.

If you can get proof that those things have been done, you should have nothing to worry about. When VW started buying these back they would refresh the nicer ones to sell them as CPO etc. That may be the case with this one. They may have deemed HPFP to be a risk, so they replaced it. My understanding is that it was only a problem on the earlier cars. Which is kinda this one. 

Good luck. I hope you like them as much as I've like mine. They are the best of most worlds. 

MrLittle
MrLittle Reader
7/31/20 12:36 p.m.

That's a good looking car. Big fan of those Audi rotor wheels. I see a guy around me with an A3 wagon and always double take at it. 

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
7/31/20 12:40 p.m.

The novilization of our VW TDI ownership:

We bought an '09 TDI DSG Jetta new in early '09, first year of the Common Rails in the US, and allegedly the model with the most common HPFP failures.  It was going to be a forever car, stupid girl sideswiped us, and totaled it at 101K miles. 

In the ~5 years we owned it, I did all of the oil changes and fuel filters, Mobil1 ESP oil, usually Mann filters. I bought fluid and filter for the DSG from IDParts (used to be TDIParts) and paid the dealer labor for that service.  The internet made me worry about HPFP failure, so I started running Stanadyne Performance Formula in ~90% of my fill-ups, for fuel lubricity.  During the 101K miles I put a set of tires on it, replaced the battery, and had one CEL for a cylinder pressure sensor, which is integrated into the glow plugs, so I just needed to swap in a new glow plug.  The compression braking on those little diesels is amazing, and the car still had the original brake pads and rotors on it when totaled. 

When the car was totaled, the side curtain air bags saved me a trip to the hospital, or worse, if not for the side curtain I would have put my head through the driver's side window.

We replaced the totaled '09 Jetta with a '14 TDI DSG Sportwagen with sunroof.  I really liked this car, it was my favorite, and I miss it.  While the more affordable MkVI Jetta came out in '11 with more plastic, cheaper materials, more road noise, etc. the Sportwagens were still based on the more refined higher quality MkV Jettas.  After we totaled the '09 MkV we thought we'd be happy in a new '14 MkVI Jetta, after several test drives, we were very disappointed, VW had taken a step backwards in our opinion.  I didn't think SWMBO would be on board with a wagon, but I talked her into a test drive, and she was hooked.

I did almost all of the maintenance on the Sportwagen as well.  I found an indy Euro shop that does a lot of VW TDI service, and started using them for the DSG service.  I think we put about 70K trouble free miles on the Sportwagen.  I put one set of tires on it, otherwise fluids and filters.

The Sportwagen was bought back by VW in '17 during the Dieselgate debacle.  When news originally broke, we swore we were keeping the Sportwagen, we liked it too much.  Then we got the offer...  Hard to say no. 

At the time SWMBO and I were carpooling a lot, we had 2 other fairly reliable, if not fuel efficient cars, so we decided we'd just make do.  We test drove some stuff, didn't like much of VW's gas offerings, really thought we'd wind up buying a Mazda 3 hatch or maybe a GTI.

About a month after VW bought our Sportwagen back from us, one of the VW salesmen we test drove with, called and told me that VW had been given the green light to sell their leftover 2015 models that had been languishing on their lots for the past 2 years.  We arranged a time to go drive some TDI Golf Sportwagens they had.  They were all base trim, cloth interior and colors we didn't rally like, we weren't interested.  We sat in a Passat, didn't even like it enough to test drive.  We were about to leave, and the very last car in their row of 2015 TDIs was a little red Golf.

SWMBO claims she knew we were buying it when I saw it..

Sure enough, 2015, TDI, DSG, SE, Fender Audio, Golf.  We test drove it, it was a hoot.  I'd done some research earlier, and knew what some folks were buying the leftover '15s for, and VW was really incentivizing dealers to get rid of them.  I made a pretty low offer, and they hardly batted an eye, in hind sight I probably should have gone lower.

We've had the '15 Golf for a little over 3 years and 75K miles now.  Similar story, I've done most of the maintenance, and put a set of tires on it.  The '15 is a slightly different animal, it's no longer using the CDEA/CJAA engine architecture of the original Common Rail TDIs.  The '15 uses the EA288 engine and requires DEF to meet emissions.  I much prefer working on the older style engines.  I'd like to have words with the engineers that decided the oil filter canister placement of the EA288.  I've gotten to the point in my life that I really don't want to be covered in oil, or clean up the inevitable mess of removing the oil filter cartridge on the Golf, so I actually had the dealer change the oil when it was in for a repair, with my provide Mobil1 ESP.

I like the Golf, but liked the Sportwagen better, there's only 12" difference in cargo space but I've really missed that 12" on several occasions.

The Golf has been reliable, it's had both stages of the emissions correction done, mandatory if you want the extended warranty.  We bought it with only the 1st stage done.  Parts for stage 2 weren't available until we'd had it about a year.  I noticed zero difference in power, MPGs, drivability, or sound.

There have been some minor annoyances, the DEF injector cracked, and built a stalactite of urea crystals on the side of the engine.  Which some how caused a CEL to come on for the DEF heater circuit.  I ignored it for a while, because if you kept the DEF tank full the CEL went off, and it took a long time to use/leak enough DEF for the light to come back on.  It was repaired, for free, under the emission systems warranty.

I had an annoying, "Service only in Park" notification that would flash on the screen, and warning chime, that seemed random.  There was some kind of shift switch recall performed at the same time as the DEF leak was fixed, and I haven't seen that notification since.

My biggest complaint with the '15 Golf, is that the clear coat is peeling off of the front bumper cover.  Of course I'm well passed the 36K mile warranty, so there's nothing VW will do.  The bumper cover is plastic, so rust isn't an issue, it just looks bad.  I've got way older cars, that have had much rougher lives, with way more miles, and they still have their clear coat intact.

In short, I've owned a few, and I'm a fan.

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
7/31/20 12:53 p.m.

It's nice to know that with proper maintenance they can meet my needs without too much worry. I think with a large percentage of possible troublesome parts already replaced it should help keep me stress free. Hopefully we can make a deal happen. Either way it's on my radar now, but that Platinum package really sells it for me.

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
8/1/20 8:56 p.m.

So I bought it.

I dropped off the wife's h3 while I was there since the dealer was kind enough to take it off our hands. I intended to sell it out right, but got tired of tire kickers and this also meant we only had to drive one car back home.

Untitled by hatchethairy, on Flickr

Thoughts so far:

I really love the car. It's exactly what I was hoping it would be, and the highway miles home proved that for me. Comfy enough, good gas mileage, sporty but not so much I want to toss a bunch of money at suspension or track upgrades, and the wife likes it too.

The DSG is a real treat. S mode is nice when you wanna rip around but standard Drive mode is sedate for highway and a more reserved driving approach.

The interior is my favorite part. If not for that, I don't think I would have been so enthusiastic to buy for the price I paid. Really looking forward to a stereo swap, but not sure which one I want to go with yet. More research to do on the options listed by others earlier in this thread.

Tires are new, but cheap off brand ones. They work, but after I burn through these I'll get some Continentals.

Brakes feel sufficient.

I'm considering a tune. Doubt I really NEED it, but who hates more power for such low cost?

Anyway, thanks everyone for the suggestions and info that helped inform my decision.

Nofive_0
Nofive_0 Reader
8/2/20 8:54 p.m.

Awesome. I'm Jealous. I never really thought about an A3 since the base first model years were quite plain looking, but that is a sharp car. 

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
8/2/20 8:56 p.m.

In reply to Nofive_0 :

I just sent you an email about the stereo thing, but not sure if you got it or not. I think I found a Chinese market one, but not sure if an adapter of some sort is required?

Ebay Link

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UQ45iQyVDw43QOsmF48CVYCaLuDOzeh1Lk2YjyseSWnIEiOVIUaxfrU4hxUQ3RSc