1 2
_
_ Dork
2/28/20 12:20 p.m.

How many of you guys race under pseudonyms? And if you do, what are some funny ones you have used or seen? I might do this for insurance purposes, LOL.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/28/20 12:22 p.m.

Hugh janus?

wae
wae UltraDork
2/28/20 12:25 p.m.

We have a Herbie Verstank on our monthly birthday list at bingo, if that counts.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/28/20 12:28 p.m.

No one in my region uses an alias. Although if I did use one, I would go with Nash Thunderbottom for the incredibly obscure Roadkill reference.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/20 12:28 p.m.

Ms.  Supreme Knockers

Just to see if they would announce it on the PA. They did and we were giggling like 12 year olds that had just pulled the best prank ever. Ahhh the old days of racing. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/20 12:30 p.m.

Some one must have used Richard Head. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/28/20 12:32 p.m.

When we went karting, one of my friend's used Dixie Normus.

_
_ Dork
2/28/20 12:33 p.m.

Was considering Rusty Shackleford for the KOTH reference. 
Jumper K. Balls name is in the running though. As I want to keep it automotive themed. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/28/20 12:46 p.m.

Really?  I've never heard of such a thing.

One guy makes up a new punny name for his car and / or color every event, which is kind of amusing but adds a little extra work to preregistration.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/28/20 12:54 p.m.

Floyd Lippencott Jr.

It is motorsports-related, although drag racing. A guy by the name of Bob Muravez was a top drag racer in the 1960s, but his father had said if any of his sons raced, he would disown them. So for 4 years, with the cooperation of the NHRA, track owners and the media, he raced under the alias of Floyd Lippencott Jr. and was never photographed without his helmet and gas mask on. When he won the NHRA Nationals in '63, instead, runner-up John Peters was named as the winner and photographed and aired on TV. It went on until '67, when he won the NHRA Nationals and was filmed in the winner's circle. He arranged a long boat ride for the day the coverage was supposed to air, but a friend of his father's saw the coverage and blew him in. The father disowned him that day and never talked to him again, right up to his death in 1993.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
2/28/20 12:54 p.m.
dean1484 said:

One of my early jobs (Auto Palace/ADAP), a co-worker was named Jen Head. Her dads name was indeed Richard. We used to ask her if he was friends with Dick Trickle.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/28/20 12:59 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:
dean1484 said:

One of my early jobs (Auto Palace/ADAP), a co-worker was named Jen Head. Her dads name was indeed Richard. We used to ask her if he was friends with Dick Trickle.

We had a customer who's name was Richard Sack, and he insisted that you call him Dick.

dps214
dps214 Reader
2/28/20 12:59 p.m.

My guess is the organizers will be upset if the name you registered with doesn't match what's on your driver's license or SCCA card. If you're concerned about insurance take your license plates off while you're on site.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/28/20 1:17 p.m.

My wife's friend is Jen Long.  Her father is this cheesy, former car salesman.  The real plaid sport coat type.  His name is Richard Long.  Yes, he goes by Dick.  

Another friend of my wife's is actually named Rick Roll

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/20 1:21 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Our mayor back home was named Dick Queen. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/28/20 1:23 p.m.

If I had to, I would use

Swizzle Malarkey

Gloyd Orangeboar

or

Adorabeezle Winterpop

_
_ Dork
2/28/20 1:39 p.m.
NickD said:

Floyd Lippencott Jr.

It is motorsports-related, although drag racing. A guy by the name of Bob Muravez was a top drag racer in the 1960s, but his father had said if any of his sons raced, he would disown them. So for 4 years, with the cooperation of the NHRA, track owners and the media, he raced under the alias of Floyd Lippencott Jr. and was never photographed without his helmet and gas mask on. When he won the NHRA Nationals in '63, instead, runner-up John Peters was named as the winner and photographed and aired on TV. It went on until '67, when he won the NHRA Nationals and was filmed in the winner's circle. He arranged a long boat ride for the day the coverage was supposed to air, but a friend of his father's saw the coverage and blew him in. The father disowned him that day and never talked to him again, right up to his death in 1993.

That is crazy. Also, Berkeley you dad!

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/28/20 2:00 p.m.

Yeah, what a petty Richard Head move by the dad. I would have started racing the day he said he would disown me, and sent him the photo myself.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/28/20 2:22 p.m.

Back in the 1980's, when I was training standardbreds at The meadowlands, there would be frequent pages in The Barn area for a horseman named Mike Hunt.

Real third-grader humor, but it was actually the guys name.

tr8todd
tr8todd SuperDork
2/28/20 4:03 p.m.

I have an alias on the book of faces.  

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/28/20 4:09 p.m.

Mike Hawk

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
2/28/20 4:19 p.m.
Floating Doc said:

Back in the 1980's, when I was training standardbreds at The meadowlands, there would be frequent pages in The Barn area for a horseman named Mike Hunt.

Real third-grader humor, but it was actually the guys name.

This somehow reminded me of our local Greyhound Racing Track. They published the results in our local newspaper (large circulation). Someone, who was about to be fired or soon was, submitted the most dirty, foul names in place of the actual ones. So instead of "JS ToHotToHandle", it was BJ's (female reproductive area) Gal or something similar. It was hilarious.

PS, my dad worked with a guy named Dick Bird. Kinda funny as a kid.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/28/20 5:23 p.m.

Last time I auto crossed there were no aliases that I knew of.

But the names for the cars sponsors tended to be imaginative.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/28/20 5:32 p.m.

I think we allow people to just put their first name and last initial....not sure about the alias thing.  

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
2/28/20 8:09 p.m.

I was surprised and got a good laugh when Johnny Douche won the formula 5l class at the Valleyfield Québec regatta last year. Neither the French nor the English announcer on site chuckled when he took the lead or when he won.
My friend and I might even had shared a libation with the guy in the pits that evening.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jMzHSPoKCBNixeQl2iFcQErzRxEovO8XrHxngKUgjxZxhtwk0mkPrbhCH5hJcnCh