1 2 3 ... 5
mthomson22
mthomson22 UltraDork
2/1/15 10:05 a.m.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/11/just-accept-autocross-isnt-racing/#more-939601

mthomson22
mthomson22 UltraDork
2/1/15 10:07 a.m.

pshaw. It is real racing. And yes, unfortunately, people have died doing it, severely damaged their cars, and experienced the same fears, anticipation, highs, and lows. Just because this author didn't appreciate those 60 seconds of unequaled intensity, the overwhelming concentration that forces everything else far out of your mind, the level of concentration that many have to be reminded 'to breathe' during their run, the countless hours and dollars spent on car prep, and the amazing friendships and friendly rivalries that are a huge part of our sport. He might not appreciate all of our type of 'racing', but that doesn't mean it's not real racing. Because it is!!!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
2/1/15 10:10 a.m.

Randy Pobst said it best in the recent Sports Car article. "Road Racing is all foreplay, autocross is all orgasm"... or there abouts.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
2/1/15 10:19 a.m.

here we go again

has it really been long enough since the last "autocross isn't racing" thread to be starting this again

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
2/1/15 10:22 a.m.

Apparently not because some people still think it is.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
2/1/15 10:24 a.m.

I figured that was coming sooner or later

I autocross, TT, w2w, and crew for a race team … as far as I'm concerned it's all racing

you and all the other haters … have at it

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/1/15 10:43 a.m.

I agree that it is not racing, since you're trying to beat someone to a finish line, and fastest time does not count. It is still motorsport.

(clicks article, reads byline expecting a different name)

Waaaait... RX-8, S2000... is that the infamous Bark Maruth?

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
2/1/15 10:49 a.m.

Unless someone provides an objective definition as to how exactly anyone else can easily and accurately differentiate "racing" from "not racing", their point about one being racing and the other not is rendered invalid.

bigbens6
bigbens6 Reader
2/1/15 10:57 a.m.

I think trying to argue that autox is racing only diminishes what autox truly is. Why do you feel the need to compete? In a race a single .2 second mistake is really inconsequential over 80 laps, its never good but you have ample time to make it up, in autox that .2 can be the end of that entire run.... why is it SO IMPORTANT to be classified as racing?

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
2/1/15 11:07 a.m.

The author is just butthurt. At least he was after getting spanked by yours truly.

Not to mention he finished in the bottom half at nationals in the same car that won the class. berkeley him.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
2/1/15 11:28 a.m.

Oooo burn!

Knurled
2/1/15 11:31 a.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon:

I'm pretty sure that he had this opinion well before that.

I don't see what the big deal is. Racing is a subset of motorsports, just because it is not racing does not mean that it does not take a significant amount of skill to be at the pointy end. The whole thing reminds me of people saying "They're not DOLLS they are ACTION FIGURES." No, Johnny, your GI Joe is a doll. Don't hide from it, own it.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
2/1/15 11:32 a.m.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
2/1/15 11:36 a.m.

My opinion is, if autocross is not racing, neither is drag racing.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab New Reader
2/1/15 11:42 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: My opinion is, if autocross is not racing, neither is drag racing.

My opinion is your car is not a real car because it is a Chevy without a V8 (See avatar, Corvair)

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
2/1/15 11:48 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: My opinion is, if autocross is not racing, neither is drag racing.

And you'd be wrong.

If you can pass, it's racing. If not, it's not. Because trying to pass the guy in front of you is what racing actually is

kanaric
kanaric Dork

The Truth About Cars is not a good news site.

Knurled
NordicSaab wrote:
My opinion is your car is not a real car because it is a Chevy without a V8 (See avatar, Corvair)

There are only two cars: Fords, and imitations. Bow Ties are for little boys!

Knurled
2/1/15 11:51 a.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:
And you'd be wrong. If you can pass, it's racing. If not, it's not. Because trying to pass the guy in front of you is what racing actually is

Yeah, but if you try to block the guy in the other lane, they disqualify you for crossing the line.

Drag racing is kinda like time trials with an eliminations system. For the really close classes, it's more of a test of reaction time.

(still pissed off that they changed the lights system. Now when I brag about all the times I'd cut a .500 light, it doesn't make sense)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/15 11:51 a.m.

If there's a stopwatch involved, it's racing. If there are style judges involved, it's figure skating

NordicSaab
NordicSaab New Reader
2/1/15 11:53 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: If there's a stopwatch involved, it's racing. If there are style judges involved, it's figure skating

Lol. beware of the Russian judge.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
2/1/15 11:54 a.m.
If you can pass, it's racing. If not, it's not. Because trying to pass the guy in front of you is what racing actually is

TIL that hill climbs and rally isn't racing.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
2/1/15 12:01 p.m.
Knurled wrote: I agree that it is not racing, since you're trying to beat someone to a finish line, and fastest time does not count. It is still motorsport. (clicks article, reads byline expecting a different name) Waaaait... RX-8, S2000... is that the infamous Bark Maruth?

since when does the fastest time not count ? anytime I've had the fastest time I've been the winner …...

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
2/1/15 12:02 p.m.
kanaric wrote:
TIL that hill climbs and rally isn't racing.

Nor land speed racing or drag racing...But vintage racimg is. If w2w was the only real form of racing, it would never need the w2w prefix.

I wonder what it could pooibly mean when the cars competing at the highest level of a given motorsport are called a racecar?

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
2/1/15 12:04 p.m.

there … fixed that for ya

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1Ks3fT9WlfssQP2YoL9s94wuoYmCViwoYbf6BmOIx5ZAGHgRAtNUL7VbIZvNQ9mv