1 2
SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
6/30/15 12:42 p.m.

Like the title says, I stopped being a spectator and started being a competitor over the weekend thanks to my friends who got me into a local BMWCCA event for free. My buddy Pseudosport even let me beat on his 2010 BMW 135i for the day! What a guy!

I was definitely nervous, but over the day, I cut my time down from a 108-something (and an off-course) to a clean 84-something second run. The majority of the competition was in the 70's on this course, but I felt that with more time, I would have been right there.

Needless to say, I am hooked. I am more motivated than ever to wrench on my projects in preparation for next season.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/30/15 1:31 p.m.

Sweet.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
6/30/15 1:31 p.m.

YES!

Welcome to a new addiction!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/30/15 1:56 p.m.

Cool. Get a bigass hat.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
6/30/15 2:12 p.m.

Beware of the Purple Crack.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
6/30/15 2:19 p.m.

Tried it.

Bought an Answer.

Got the big hat.

Got into purple crack.

Sigh, welcome to the club. It's fun

Now get your project out of the garage and out on the track! Errrrr parking lot, whatever.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
6/30/15 2:26 p.m.

Ok, what is this "purple crack"?

And, I really need to get to another event soon....

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
6/30/15 2:52 p.m.
OldGray320i wrote: Ok, what is this "purple crack"? And, I really need to get to another event soon....

Hoosiers

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
6/30/15 5:25 p.m.

More seat time is the best improvement.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
6/30/15 5:53 p.m.

Since we're dealing out autox advice - beware of old fat guys, some of them are surprisingly fast.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
6/30/15 6:04 p.m.

In reply to SilverFleet: Welcome to the club. I also second the notion that seat time > a fast car or go fast parts.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
6/30/15 6:57 p.m.

Yeah, seat time is key. I mean, in one day, I vastly improved my driving skills and understanding of how a car will handle at its limits.

While I have an open invitation to co-drive that 135i whenever I want, I want to run my own car. My CSX can be this car. Plus, I can compete with our buddy's 1985 Turbo II GLH!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
6/30/15 8:19 p.m.

Get your ass out to the shop. Get csx ready for parking lot competing. And enough to pass safety inspection in your state.

Go wave the mopar flag proudly.

Then finish trans am, and wave the pro-touring flag proudly.

Enjoy vastly different driving experience.

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
7/1/15 7:23 a.m.

Welcome to the addiction. The racing is fun but the people connected with autocross are great. Have fun.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/15 7:29 a.m.

What I have learned in many years of autocrossing is that you can get bug spray and sunscreen in one bottle. The rest is a mystery to me. Oh, and I wear driving gloves so that the sunscreen doesn't affect my grip on the steering wheel.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
7/1/15 8:06 a.m.

Another thing I learned: don't get sunscreen in your eyes. It BURNS!!!!! I had to skip a ride-along to wash my face.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
7/1/15 8:13 a.m.

If you thought that was addictive - whatever you do, don't sign up for any BMW CCA events right here in your own backyard! You will never auto-x again.

http://www.palmermotorsportspark.com/

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/1/15 8:44 a.m.

Well done! I never realized that you hadn't tried it yet. It gets addictive, so try to ease into it and enjoy every moment.

Bugs were never an issue for me up in new england, but every site is in full on baking sun so stay protected and hydrated. I am totally jealous that you get to start in an awesome car with a bunch of good friends around. If this was at Devens than I am doubly jealous; take advantage of having such an excellent site near you.

Keep it up; I'll jump in shotgun for some fun runs in the fall down south.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
7/1/15 10:06 a.m.

Devens is awesome and we are spoiled to have such a great place to autocross.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
7/1/15 11:26 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: If you thought that was addictive - whatever you do, don't sign up for any BMW CCA events right here in your own backyard! You will never auto-x again. http://www.palmermotorsportspark.com/

I do both … well not BMW … but 6 - 10 track event a yr, and 20+ autoX's a yr

both have their good points and their not so good

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
7/1/15 11:54 a.m.
kazoospec wrote: Since we're dealing out autox advice - beware of old fat guys, some of them are surprisingly fast.

I'm not that fat.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/1/15 12:20 p.m.

Minute-plus autocross runs. Our largest available lot yields times in the high 30s to very low 40s.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
7/1/15 12:46 p.m.

Yeah, Devens is a perfect facility for this. It's definitely the largest course I've seen in person, and the guys who set it up made it lots of fun.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/15 12:47 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: Yeah, seat time is key. I mean, in one day, I vastly improved my driving skills and understanding of how a car will handle at its limits. While I have an open invitation to co-drive that 135i whenever I want, I want to run my own car. My CSX can be this car. Plus, I can compete with our buddy's 1985 Turbo II GLH!

Plan on a baffled oil pan and a Limited Slip in your budget/build at some point. Trust me, inside wheel spin will be abundant and kill your time. Lateral G's on a laterally mounted motor and high RPM's can cause your lifters to collapse at least if not shorten the life your bottom end. Considering most Chrysler turbo bottom ends are due for new bearings around 120-150K, don't be surprised if yours needs some as well.

At least with my Automatic equipped Sundance I could LFB to curtail the wheel spin and build a little boost, not nearly as effective in a manual car I've found (could be a skill-level thing for me though).

Here's mine Autocrossing (sorry for potato quality, had a crappy video camera and busted windshield) https://youtu.be/DaCRmkU8BCY

Here's how I did a simple baffle on my Daytona:

http://s148.photobucket.com/user/fiat22turbo/library/Fabrication/Oilpan_baffle

Combined with a Ishira-Johnson crank scraper, it helped quite a bit with lifter chatter and oil pressure. Never did get a chance to put those on the CSX before I sold it. Oh well, the drivetrain will live on in a MidLana some day :)

Still tons of fun though and most of all quality seat time is tantamount to success. Ride with instructors and have them ride with you, you'll get better quickly.

WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
7/2/15 12:43 a.m.
Duke wrote: Minute-plus autocross runs. Our largest available lot yields times in the high 30s to very low 40s.

yea it's a pretty terrific location because it's large and circular in nature so there's no crossing over or running towards the course again, meaning we can have 4 simultaneously driving cars allowing BMW club to routinely get 110 drivers through 8 roughly 70 second runs with a lunch in the middle of the day still.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TpJTjrU9AYPQlOwhWWtmYCWgmIOZJ0Rlubz927fOXlJsr70Sjq4G0IRScEdxR2pe