hotrodfatboy
hotrodfatboy None
8/11/08 7:08 p.m.

Hello all, I have been a lurker for sometime. I love the magazine and all of the postings, but I am really into old 'Merican cars so I come at the grassroots racing from a different angle. Drag racing is really boring and car shows are even more lame. So....I decided to take my Chevelle out for a spin at Miller Park.

For the helluvit I autocrossed my '67 Chevelle last weekend and had a great time, and wasn't fast and wasn't slow either...I need more work as a driver, but all in all the car was not slow and was pretty fun to drive. I have Global West front hubs, 4 piston Wilwood brakes on the front, disc brakes on the rear, really big sway bars, etc...

Check it out at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e7krfkcqmI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyzuOPmJ6WE

also there are also GRM stickers on the car...

hotrod

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/11/08 7:12 p.m.

Very cool. And one of my favorite GM bodies.

cwh
cwh Dork
8/11/08 7:19 p.m.

Kewl. I'm sure not FTD, but you had fun. Not much body roll fer shure.

hotrodfatboy
hotrodfatboy New Reader
8/11/08 8:52 p.m.

Thanks for the compliments, I have had the car for a while and have been improving it little by little, it is finally reliable enough (it went through a full frame off) a year ago, and finally have the time to get it race-worthy (sort of, its still a big 'ol 'Murican car) for autocrosses and track days.

Anyway, I've got a parts car left over from the resto job on the nice one. If I got the running parts tub + engine (parts car) for $500 bucks does that count as the purchase price for the GRM challenge? Or, since this is in the realm of classic automobiles does market value apply? I am interested in this since the other car doesn't have any other value and would really make a good $200X Challenge car, at least for the drag race portion.

Thanks all.

hotrod

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords New Reader
8/11/08 8:57 p.m.

Very cool

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/11/08 9:11 p.m.

People drove the pants off Chevelles when they were new, not just down the 1/4 mile, so it is nice to see one going left and right again! So glad you stepped off the sidelines!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/12/08 5:24 a.m.

if you bought it for $500 30 years ago, then i think FMV would apply. However, if you bought it since the Challenge events have existed, $500 is your Challenge starting point.

A-bodies are friggin sweet! One day I will get another '72 Monte Carlo like the one I had in high school and college. unless i get a LeMans ragtop.

Luke
Luke Dork
8/12/08 6:43 a.m.

That's awesome. It sounds absolutely badass, too.

ZOOMiata
ZOOMiata GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/12/08 6:59 a.m.

Awesome -- all cars should be autoxed :)

jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
8/12/08 7:13 a.m.

Excellent work, Greg. As a novice instructor, I was impressed by your pace, control and throttle modulation skills. You did better than 90% of the Porsche-owning novices I've instructed. A little work on your late-braking and late apexing skills and you'll be quite competitive.

jikelly
jikelly New Reader
8/12/08 10:49 a.m.

TIGHT!!!

Hopefully I'll get to finally autocross my old stang on the 24th. I'm really excited.

EricM
EricM Reader
8/12/08 8:28 p.m.

At time is was like watcing a video from the 70's

hotrodfatboy
hotrodfatboy New Reader
8/12/08 8:35 p.m.

Gee thanks...I spent a ton of time researching all of the components to make up the suspension of the car. I don't have a really big engine (its only a 283 ci, or 4.8L for you metric folks), but instead I spent the money on brakes, suspension and also paint and bodywork. I figured that is the harder stuff to change out and the engine is really easy...

The car looks a lot slower in the video, I felt like I was really hustling it through the cones, but I guess not based on the times. The REALLY fast guys like Darrell Padberg were running 49s and 50s all day long. 65s for the first time out isn't shabby though...

hotrod

dculberson
dculberson New Reader
8/13/08 9:23 a.m.

I'm really impressed with the lack of body roll. I know how those big 60's American cars love to dive and lean. Good job on the suspension. How is it on the street, ride-quality wise?

hotrodfatboy
hotrodfatboy New Reader
8/14/08 8:58 p.m.

The ride is great, firm and controlled. I like it that way, as it is a really tight car for a big old '60s whale. It is really fun on off/on ramps, and it will really catch people off guard when this 67 chevelle is already at well over freeway speeds when I am merging...

the whole point of the project is to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, as anyone can make a Miata handle (no offense to the Miata guys, I used to own one and the handling was telepathic)...but it takes some real creativity and careful decisions to get a big a$$ +3000# car to handle.

thanks again for the support... hotrod

mudforthegurl
mudforthegurl None
8/14/08 9:26 p.m.

hey man... just wanted to add some support to the pile. both your runs looked great; you keep a tight reign on everything and it shows. i had to watch each video twice because i just couldn't believe how little body rock was demonstrated. i've had a lotta friends with cars of that era, and a proper ride usually involved hanging on for dear life while the body careened around well after the corners were finished. cheers to all your hard work!

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
8/16/08 2:20 p.m.

thats cool, its always cool to see some classic big tanks out autcrossing. i autocross an 82 delta 88 myself... cool vids and keep up the running and work.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nPrutoTap4i8b6jbf2RTVZU6SAFykXfWjrlFPnwetevkxmBYxUsdRLP2VaJlp80V