1 2
pres589
pres589 SuperDork
10/22/12 2:22 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Yeah, I can't argue with that, and there's a number of sources of such an 8.8 so you may be able to find the exact width and such that you need. Plus there are more LSD options, I think, for the 8.8 like torsens that might be preferable for AX.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
10/23/12 4:48 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Or I can spend $50-$200 at a JY and get an 8.8" with a stronger gearset, better gears, factory LSD, good axles, and rear discs.

This. Ford even made a Ranger with an OE Torsen...FX4...think it was an option...

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/23/12 4:59 p.m.

In reply to ST_ZX2:

Yup yup yup! Not that the clutch-type is really that bad, mind. It's easy to rebuild and tune and cheap. I just have to measure my axle and get an idea of which 8.8 will work best for me. I'm hoping SN95 Mustang, because the CV version has bizarre same L&R calipers that cheapen it out (at least on the P71).

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
10/23/12 5:49 p.m.

I would think an Explorer Sport (2 door)...about the same width as teh Jav and it has perches for leaf springs already...as well as RDBs.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/23/12 6:02 p.m.

In reply to ST_ZX2:

I forgot about those, and my step-mother used to have one (an Explorer Sport Trac pickup). That would be the most minimal work for sure. Time to break out the measuring tape...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2QpDxdJI8bu5Bv8OtgTuNqBWCz3Kpu9W6TKqHOaMryKhPTkuWmo6va65elwxpzwS