L8apex
L8apex New Reader
4/7/10 9:59 p.m.

First Autox in my 2010 KIA Forte Koup SX

Let me start by saying I am a long time Autoxer with the Metro NY PCA. My regular ride a 1985 Porsche 944NA had an engine failure at the last event two weeks ago (#2 rod although not confirmed yet).

I picked up my 2010 Corsa Blue, Kia Koup SX 6M in mid January as daily driver. Having finished the break in of the motor (approx 3000 miles) it was time to see what the Koup could do.

Issues with the car before the AutoX: 1. Vague Clutch Engagement 2. Overly Aggressive Tip-in on Throttle 3. High Gearing (6M)

Observations after the Runs 1. Clutch no issue 2. Tip-in no issue 3. Gearing no issue 4. Power Steering MAJOR ISSUE

The power steering could not keep up with the rapid inputs demanded in an Autox. This could be an area for improvement for the AfterMarket.

Over all the car was well balanced with mild under steer and little body roll. The stock goodyears had a hard time putting down the power.

The car was approx 2 1/2 seconds off the pace of the PCA P3 classed (E Stock SCCA) 944’s out of the box with non R compound tires. The 944 is approx the same weight with 20 less HP. I should easily make up the difference with fresh rubber.

Stay Tuned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMAeIvQ7WwY

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
4/7/10 10:40 p.m.

the lack of any heavy body roll is impressive. Much more flat than (for example) my stock 09 wrx.... Any info on what the stock spring rates/swaybar sizes are?

Kia_racer
Kia_racer Reader
4/7/10 11:13 p.m.

The sx gets a "sport supension" compared to the base model. Kia seems to make a fairly ridged car. Even my Sephia corners fairly flat compared to other four door compacts.

STS_ZX2
STS_ZX2 New Reader
4/8/10 6:09 a.m.

The Sephia is a Mazda Protege (90-94) BG chassis, as I recall...that might explain why it seems good.

carzan
carzan Reader
4/8/10 6:13 a.m.
STS_ZX2 wrote: The Sephia is a Mazda Protege (90-94) BG chassis, as I recall...that might explain why it seems good.

Only up to the '97 model year.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/8/10 7:57 a.m.

not a bad looking or handling little car. Big bang for the buck

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
4/8/10 7:58 a.m.

I would try a good powersteering fluid flush. I've 'corrected' problems with just a fluid change to Red Line power steering fluid.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/8/10 8:08 a.m.

I thought the Forte was electric assisted power steering.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
4/8/10 8:18 a.m.
John Brown wrote: I thought the Forte was electric assisted power steering.

Check and Mate

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
4/8/10 8:32 a.m.

It's speed sensitive, but still hydraulic, IIRC.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
4/8/10 8:38 a.m.

The power steering has alwys been an issue with the Hyundai pumps. I usually only had issues on hot days later in the runs. It would physically boil. I flushed with a good synthetic p/s fluid and that helped. HadI kep running the car P/S cooler was next on my list.

So, yeah. Flush it with good fluid, maybe install a cooler. Should take care of the problem.

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
4/8/10 8:42 a.m.

I had the same power steering issue with my audi A4. I didn't do anything, and I either got use to it or it fixed itself with use. I think it more than likely taught me to be smoother with my inputs and to be a bit earlier at turn in. Certainly can be agravating as hell.

ken83gti
ken83gti New Reader
4/10/10 8:43 a.m.

I've been thinking about 1 of these for H-stock competition, it looks good on paper so I'm very interested in seeing how they do on track. I also had power steering problems with a 2003 Subaru 2.5 RS that I ran for 2 yrs & yes it was also agravating. The Subaru always acted like the pump just couldn't always keep up & all steering assist would be lost momentarily, but then would always come right back after a couple seconds (especially through long slaloms), I also just changed my driving so it wasn't an issue. I hope the Koup ends up just being as easy a fix as putting better fluid in, that would be a great option/fix, I'm curious to see if this will cure the issue. Also looking to see how these do against competative Mini's, Mazda 3's & others.

paul
paul Reader
4/10/10 8:23 p.m.

I was at that event, loved the three staggered boxes of cones towards the start...

Anyway, looked like a nice handling car! Seems like it would really shine with a limited slip diff...

L8apex
L8apex New Reader
4/13/10 10:07 p.m.

In reply to paul:

It was a good event, overall I am very happy with the Koup. Just trying to decide what to do this season, do i try and fix the 944 or get a set of wheels and tires for the KOUP?

Guys thanks for the advice re: the power steering issues, I'll try some high performance ps fluid next.

ken83gti is the KIA koup SCCA classed for H-stock, I usually run only PCA events

L8apex
L8apex New Reader
4/13/10 10:14 p.m.

Ken83gti I just looked it up my Koup SX is classed Gstock the Koup Ex is Hstock

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/14/10 7:18 a.m.

+1 for steering fluid upgrade

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/14/10 7:30 a.m.
ken83gti wrote: I've been thinking about 1 of these for H-stock competition, it looks good on paper so I'm very interested in seeing how they do on track. I also had power steering problems with a 2003 Subaru 2.5 RS that I ran for 2 yrs & yes it was also agravating. The Subaru always acted like the pump just couldn't always keep up & all steering assist would be lost momentarily, but then would always come right back after a couple seconds (especially through long slaloms), I also just changed my driving so it wasn't an issue. I hope the Koup ends up just being as easy a fix as putting better fluid in, that would be a great option/fix, I'm curious to see if this will cure the issue. Also looking to see how these do against competative Mini's, Mazda 3's & others.

Ken, you know you are getting a diesel Golf when you are done with the Jetta, just accept the inevitability ;)

STS_ZX2
STS_ZX2 New Reader
4/14/10 9:44 a.m.
L8apex wrote: Ken83gti I just looked it up my Koup SX is classed Gstock the Koup Ex is Hstock

How does the Scion tC end up in HS, and the almost-the-same-car-on-paper SX Koup end up in GS? Especially, when the Scion is not an overdog in HS...

iceracer
iceracer Dork
4/14/10 9:49 a.m.

Amsoil P/S fluid will fix that problem

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/14/10 2:25 p.m.

Hmm not bad, I always liked the styling on those.

pedretti
pedretti New Reader
6/26/10 9:33 p.m.

i've been very impressed in most kia's of their lack of body roll, my 06 spectra5 had very little body roll to begin with. but with the addition of thicker rear sway bar and some strut braces there's been practically none to speak of. i do how ever agree about the power steering, my spectra also has a "lag" so to say when rapidly alternating directions. i was thinking about adding some sort of restrictor inline with the power steering lines might help reduce the amount of "slosh" when turning from side to side

klipless
klipless Reader
6/28/10 10:12 a.m.

In reply to pedretti:

Adding a restriction should make the problem worse or have no difference at all. The problem is that the p/s pump can't deliver enough volume of fluid to keep the required pressure at the steering rack. Adding a restriction will just make that problem worse.

Adding a high-temp p/s fluid will only help if the reason for the pressure drop is the fluid boiling. If the pump is undersized, then better fluid won't help, although for most cars, this isn't a problem.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BZRENFwOZkk7DOg9me5MGynSEHxf1l6agvqxlmSRQ45wcOimU49ujNzopNOd7bYm