David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/5/10 2:24 p.m.

So last night we went to a local baseball game, and we took the CRX--the B16A-powered track car that has been in the magazine. It's like a 15-minute drive, and as we pulled out of the driveway a thought popped into my head: When is the last time I checked the oil? I couldn't remember, and the whole way there and back I pictured dry bearings and other horrors. Yeah, I tend to that to myself.

So, this morning I checked the dipstick. The oil level is right at the top dot. Sometimes I love 21-year-old Honda engines.

You know, if I could add a/c to that car, it might be nearly perfect. (And yes, currently checking prices on a/c parts....)

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
7/5/10 3:26 p.m.

read all of the write ups on that car and like it ALOT. when do you wanna sell it to me?

coll9947
coll9947 New Reader
7/5/10 4:24 p.m.

Your CRX project has been an inspiration for my own. I picked up a '90 HF in great shape with Konis and H&R OE Sport springs a few months ago. One previous owner put aftermarket A/C on the d15 but it no longer works. For now the 40+ mpg and pennies-per-day insurance make it the best commuter ever. Need to sell my Jeep WJ GC 4.7L before the B swap will happen.

I'm interested to see what solution you go with for a rear sway bar setup. Parts bin shopping? LCA/sway bar mount bracing like the ASR piece?

David S. Wallens
7/5/10 5:06 p.m.

You know, we're still running without a rear anti-roll bar. Once we saw how far we could easily trail-brake, we decided to skip that step.

Sell it? Hmmmm.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
7/5/10 6:46 p.m.

Yours provided the inspiration for mine as well.

Sans B16A however.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
7/5/10 7:05 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: You know, we're still running without a rear anti-roll bar. Once we saw how far we could easily trail-brake, we decided to skip that step. Sell it? Hmmmm.

i got $22 and a rusty ten speed for ya....

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/5/10 7:10 p.m.

One of the things that surprised me about the Civic Si we ran at Lemons is after flogging it for 16 hours it didn't use a drop. Big change from the ThunderTurd that used 3 gallons.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
7/5/10 7:49 p.m.

Mine eats 5w30 Mobil 1, but doesn't eat Valvoline synthetic nearly as much.

I dunno...

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/5/10 8:13 p.m.

Yup the B16 in my '99 Si eats oil too. 155k hard miles on it, 160psi compression across the board. With I/H/E and ITR cams all I could manage were 5 identical 16.5 @ 85mph timeslips last friday at the drag races. It needs a rebuild!

David S. Wallens
7/5/10 8:25 p.m.

My wife's B16A (2000 Civic Si) has been well behaved, too, but that one has lead a very easy life. Mileage is about 70k.

Glad to hear you guys enjoyed reading about the car.

autoxrs
autoxrs Reader
7/5/10 8:39 p.m.

I am beginning to love my 95 B16 swapped Civic with LSD. It used to belong to a fellow GRMer Kyle.

When I putter around I can get 42-44 mpg. Its so beige, plain looking black 4 door Civic on 13s. But, when I want I can just wind it out to 8200 and listen to the aural wonders. Plus its damn near unstoppable in winter.

Another GRMer, Roy, who is either driving his pair of E30 iXes or his AW11 MR2 said it was a mighty fun car for a fwd Honda appliance.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gJ8w9fgQGW551fgUFjLxuph0LaElVBio9v9kvQp1pRYukv02LhCAUiwohzMi351H