67LS1
67LS1 Reader
1/27/22 7:46 p.m.

I saw this pic an another site and was wondering if anyone had any opinions or new why someone would do this?

Ever seen this before?

mslevin
mslevin GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/27/22 7:55 p.m.

Looks pretty cool 

GaryC83
GaryC83 New Reader
1/27/22 7:56 p.m.

Changes the tone. Doesn't help much / any with flow, but will completely change the tone of the exhaust. 

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
1/27/22 8:43 p.m.

It's for noise abatement and possibly tone change

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/27/22 9:42 p.m.

Have you seen the new Borla x-pipe?

67LS1
67LS1 Reader
1/27/22 9:56 p.m.

Change the tone? How?

STM317
STM317 UberDork
1/28/22 7:42 a.m.

X pipes tend to "smooth" out exhaust tones by balancing exhaust pulses between cylinder banks. This can reduce NVH and cabin noise too.

That looks like a Roadster Shop chassis ($$$). I'm guessing that it's done to make the cabin quieter without losing the desired volume or tone from the pipes out of the back so that the wealthy owner can cruise more comfortably.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/22 10:41 a.m.

or challenge car and the builder ran out of straight pipe sections

Opti
Opti Dork
1/28/22 11:07 a.m.

When you tell your exhaust man you want "straight pipes" and he hears "snake pipes."

flat4_5spd
flat4_5spd Reader
1/28/22 11:09 a.m.

To stop the driveshaft from falling if a U-Joint disintegrates. :-) 

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
1/28/22 11:48 a.m.

All I'm seeing is a convenient way to turn the exhaust a structural brace.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/22 12:33 p.m.

So it reduces NVH, improves safety, adds chassis stiffness, sounds like wins all-around laugh

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
1/28/22 1:43 p.m.

Probably doubles the cost of driveshaft servicing over just having to pull one pipe to get at it.

Interesting - hadn't seen that sort of thing before.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/22 3:48 p.m.

In reply to wspohn :

It's still basically one pipe, it's just attached with four V bands instead of two.

I can see how you could have an effect on certain wavelengths by tuning the distance between the two Xs. I'd love to know if that much science was applied or if it was a matter of flexing some welding chops.

67LS1
67LS1 Reader
2/6/22 2:25 a.m.

It looks to me like it would echo and sound raspy. Seems like someone just wanted to bill hours and hours of time to build this.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
2/6/22 2:13 p.m.

Going from an H pipe to an X pipe on the V's exhaust really changed the tone in a nice way.  It was an upgrade from2.5" to 3" so assume the power came from the flow as I had back pressure issues previously.  

i would love to hear more science and tinkering as I really wanted V sleeper quiet.  Sadly after longtubes that was not an option as far as I could find. 

I have seen a few old school rides that ran ran perforated resonator sections vs straight  pipe sections ahead of the exhaust.  Supposedly didn't cost anything but weight and size in terms of hp.  They did make them much more tame.

I want to mess with Rabbit's setup ss the 2.25 catless TT mild steel setup is very tinny.  Not expecting beefy burble.  Annoyed with it at wot.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/22 3:43 p.m.

My silverado had 3 of them and cherry bombs when I bought it. It sounded like ass and was drone town at cruising speed. Day 3 of ownership it went to the muffler shop. I had two of them cut out and mufflers installed. It helped significantly with the tone and the drone. 

67LS1
67LS1 Reader
2/7/22 2:40 a.m.

I'll be adding the resonators just after the cats then through the existing X pipe and Dynomax long case Turbo mufflers. The resonators are because from the cats to the mufflers is almost 6'.

84SFP, glad to hear someone else is going for sleeper quiet.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Mw0hMnkoHgfw2fXZ3EERnQklUyn79KevZ2y3u9kHTYp1XSZBtXeIlU6yy0gFyMcA