Treb
Treb Reader
6/17/10 5:10 p.m.

Earlier this week, I sold a car on ebay -- or so I thought. After making contact with the winning bidder and getting info to set up the payment, he contacted me today and told me that he couldn't buy it.

There was a prior bidder, so I can do the "second chance offer" thing.

Advice on what else to do -- what recourse I might have through ebay?

Thanks, Matt

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
6/17/10 5:23 p.m.

eBay won't nurse you through this. You're pretty much screwed. Contact bidder#2 , let him know about it, and hope for the best.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
6/17/10 5:55 p.m.

CL all the way!

digdug18
digdug18 HalfDork
6/17/10 6:29 p.m.

What car did you sell?

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
6/17/10 7:36 p.m.

True, You can't give negative feedback (absolute crock) but if I remember correctly you can click on a button to give positive feedback and leave a comment. Go ahead and hit that button and then let him have it in the comment section.

Marty!
Marty! Dork
6/17/10 8:01 p.m.

Damn it! I hate it when a canoe infiltrates a good thread!

Treb
Treb Reader
6/18/10 6:13 a.m.

In reply to digdug18:

Sold a Yugo. Looks like the two top bidders -- the last $1100 in bids -- were both frauds.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120580850194&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

minimac
minimac SuperDork
6/18/10 6:54 a.m.

If you want a real buyer, hit up Auto Trader. Otherwise, list on CL and put up with a lot of tire kickers.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
6/18/10 7:24 a.m.

have you contacted the ebayer? or did he just flake and disappear?

tell him you will do him a favor and he can mail you a check for the ebay fees and you won't report him.

Otto_Maddox
Otto_Maddox Reader
6/18/10 8:49 a.m.

Yeah, you are screwed. I had the same thing happen, but the deadbeat even posted negative feedback for kindly asking him to complete the transaction. eBay was completely worthless in helping. I couldn't even get the feedback retracted or anything.

I am a Craigslist man now.

Powar
Powar Dork
6/18/10 10:26 a.m.

Funny. I placed a $350 or $400 bid on that car.I realized that it probably wouldn't be enough to buy it, but I've lucked out in the past with such things.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
6/18/10 12:23 p.m.

What about his fees for listing on eBay? I assume he contact eBay to get his money back or at least get it relisted for free? It would suck to have to pay to list it again and risk getting screwed out of the fees again.

Treb
Treb Reader
6/19/10 12:40 p.m.

Yeah, there were a couple of bids from GRM-ers.

The winning bidder was in contact about setting up payment, then suddenly flaked out and refuses to pay.

I think if I go through the process and mark it as unpaid then there are no fees.

Sold a car last month on CL; the tire-kickers weren't all that bad. Not sure what audience the Yugo would have locally, though.

Still on the $200x classified boards, btw...

Thanks for the responses, even if the news is that I can't do much about it.

Matt

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
6/19/10 4:14 p.m.

You could load up the pickup with all your cousins,some dogs and firepower, maybe pay him a visit.

That's just me....

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
6/19/10 5:47 p.m.
Treb wrote: Not sure what audience the Yugo would have locally, though. Still on the $200x classified boards, btw...

You're sure to get an audience around here. GRMers love obscure, crazy cars for cheep.

SVRex let me take the Yugo From Beyond for a "spin" one time on the auto X course. That was some of the most fun I've ever had.

I ended up taking 5 seconds off of his previous time, but only because I completly missed the final pivot cone, cutting the course down 100 yards shorter.

The hell of it was that I had designed the course.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/22/11 5:32 a.m.
NYG95GA wrote: SVRex let me take the Yugo From Beyond for a "spin" one time on the auto X course. That was some of the most fun I've ever had. I ended up taking 5 seconds off of his previous time, but only because I completly missed the final pivot cone, cutting the course down 100 yards shorter. The hell of it was that *I* had designed the course.

You sure know how to hurt a guy.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bnQVGrjzWvaJSikbdnzKOJkqQetbeuwecOjn7DkPKtU9esAD7XLD47i1luSuMwwi