1 2
DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
4/8/09 9:00 p.m.

OH SWEET The most exciting thing in motoring this weekend is Barret Jackson? And 22 hours of it! Speed can't even play that much of the 24 Hours of Daytona or 24 Hours of Le mans....this must mean it is way better than either of those two races!

I can't believe Speed airs some of this crap for soooo long.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
4/8/09 9:57 p.m.

Jeez, they must not have any new episodes of "Screaming Morons Go Drag Racing!" to show. Somebody needs to tell Speed's spammers that we're pretty much done with them.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4304958

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
4/8/09 11:21 p.m.

Barrett-Jackson in a nutshell: expensive car you can't afford, expensive car you can't afford, expensive car you can't afford, expensive car you can't afford, expensive car you can't afford,...

I've had more fun with a tack hammer and my face.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
4/8/09 11:48 p.m.

Yeah....

Can't STAND Barrett-Jackson.

Thanks to them, every yahoo with a vintage rustpile thinks it's worth fifty-thousand dollars.

I'm sure they're nice and all, and that if I met them in person I'd change my mind, blah, blah, blah, but insofar as I'm concerned, they can die in a fire.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
4/9/09 12:23 a.m.

Hangers-on trying to get camera face time

Creepy rich dudes and their a) blatantly young trophy wives or b) their surgically-altered former trophy wives

Douchebags, douchebags, douchebags

A first off the line Shelby GT OMFGWTFBBQ getting auctioned for some charity

Camaros, Camaros, Camaros

I dunno if I'll be around much to catch any of it, regardless. I usually try to DVR a bunch, but the DVR's are just about full.

I think the selling prices will be in the toilet, too. They were really unimpressive in January.

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
4/9/09 6:28 a.m.

B-J has done more damage to our hobby than anyone, and all in the name of greed. I've owned a bunch of cars that when I owned them were next to worthless. I liked them all, and I sold them thinking I'd always be able to pick another one up. I know old cars would have gone up in value over the years, but million dollar Cuda's? Now I can barely afford anything interesting, and a lot of that is because of B-J, and the idiots that think their clapped out 6 cylinder converted to a muscle car is worth $100k. The funny part is all those rich guys that pay stupid amounts for these cars thinking that they look impressive on TV. To me they all look like morons.

914Driver
914Driver Dork
4/9/09 7:04 a.m.

Hey, at least it's not that Mechum gig, they all got red shirts and the cars sit on red carpet. Hard to see what you're really buying.

I hate that show more than BJ.

Dan

EDIT:

Just to clarify, BJ = Barret Jackson.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
4/9/09 7:19 a.m.

dude has 1 post and it is this.....

canoe..

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
4/9/09 9:24 a.m.

Wow. A lot of hate here. I don't get it. Has BJ increased the price of cars? Maybe a little, but auctions have been happening since the beginning of time. BJ can't force the market to pay more than it is willing to, so I fail to see the problem. Does it suck that you can't pick up a Hemi Cuda for $5K any more? It does if you're shopping. It does not if you're selling. Regardless - the market is what drives the prices, not BJ, or any other auction.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/9/09 9:33 a.m.

here's me, doing my best to read the mind of televised-auction bidder:

Hey, y'all, I'm jacking off on TV!

gamby
gamby SuperDork
4/9/09 9:36 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Hey, at least it's not that Mechum gig, they all got red shirts and the cars sit on red carpet. Hard to see what you're really buying. I hate that show more than BJ. Dan EDIT: Just to clarify, BJ = Barret Jackson.

Thanks for the clarification--I thought you were talking about BJ McKay.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
4/9/09 9:39 a.m.

I used to go to Barrett-Jackson (and the other auctions) every year when I lived in Phoenix. They were a very different animal before TV coverage.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
4/9/09 10:46 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: Hey, y'all, I'm jacking off on TV!

Time? Channel?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/9/09 10:55 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Wow. A lot of hate here. I don't get it. Has BJ increased the price of cars? Maybe a little, but auctions have been happening since the beginning of time. BJ can't force the market to pay more than it is willing to, so I fail to see the problem. Does it suck that you can't pick up a Hemi Cuda for $5K any more? It does if you're shopping. It does not if you're selling. Regardless - the market is what drives the prices, not BJ, or any other auction.

I was amazed and disgusted with how some of these auction houses use "smoke and mirrors" to drive prices up. I've even heard stories of auction houses planting false buyers in the crowd to drive prices higher. The phone buyers are also very suspect.

I think the problem is that some of these auction houses artificially inflate market values, and this drives up prices throughout the classic car community.

l

gamby
gamby SuperDork
4/9/09 11:12 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: I was amazed and disgusted with how some of these auction houses use "smoke and mirrors" to drive prices up. I've even heard stories of auction houses planting false buyers in the crowd to drive prices higher. The phone buyers are also very suspect.

Those are called "shills". A shill is a plant in the crowd whose purpose is to drive up the price of an auction item. Commonplace in auctions.

Stuc
Stuc HalfDork
4/9/09 11:16 a.m.

Wow... surprisingly it is a canoe! Don't get rid of it though... for the slim chance that they come back and look at this thread and GET A HINT.

Well... actually there is no chance of that but oh well.

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Reader
4/9/09 3:18 p.m.

im gonna drive rabbit down there carroll shelby can sign the dash. he will sign just about anything-cars, shirts, toilet seats... i dont watch speed anymore, i just SPEED past it. i know nothing is on. Pinks, PASSTIME (honestly, throw me a bone here), the wrecker show, might as well put nancy grace on there too...

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
4/9/09 9:04 p.m.

Mmm. I just watched the dieing remnants of the early 2000's "who can get their hotrod/bike shop on TV" phenomenon culminating in a dude called Barry White (no not that Barry white.)

This douche spends 450 hours having other people do his work turning a Le Mons into a quasi GTO, and acts like it was the hardest thing hes ever had to do. $45,000.00 dollars and the hopes to dump it at an auction. Not impressed. At least Foose gives the car back to the owner.

(It didn't sell. Boo hoo.)

TV auctions are simply penis waving.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
4/10/09 1:23 p.m.

They pre-empted Bull Run for an auction? Heresy.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/10/09 1:38 p.m.

Oh man, don't get me started on that douche Barry White and his "Super Muscle Cars". His craptastic show was sad and in person he's even worse. I was at the Portland auction, he was trying to sell that LeMans POS as a real GTO. A Pontiac guy mentioned that to the auctioneers and after a VIN check things got ugly. He came back the next year to a different auction in Portland and brought the Fairlane thing. Paint was literally flaking off and falling on the floor.

At least the Overhaulin cars actually look half way quality in person and aren't misrepresented. Most of the owners even keep them.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
4/10/09 1:47 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote: Wow. A lot of hate here. I don't get it. Has BJ increased the price of cars? Maybe a little, but auctions have been happening since the beginning of time. BJ can't force the market to pay more than it is willing to, so I fail to see the problem. Does it suck that you can't pick up a Hemi Cuda for $5K any more? It does if you're shopping. It does not if you're selling. Regardless - the market is what drives the prices, not BJ, or any other auction.
I was amazed and disgusted with how some of these auction houses use "smoke and mirrors" to drive prices up. I've even heard stories of auction houses planting false buyers in the crowd to drive prices higher. The phone buyers are also very suspect. I think the problem is that some of these auction houses artificially inflate market values, and this drives up prices throughout the classic car community. l

But absent a gun, they can't force someone to pay more for a car than they want to. So, they can use smoke, mirrors, shills, hotties, and all manor of other tricks, but at the end of the day none of it works without somebody raising their hand and saying "Yes - that 40 year old POS dodge is worth $500K to me."

Will
Will Reader
4/10/09 7:19 p.m.

Pay attention and you'll see some cars for sale again, last bought long, long ago at BJ Scottsdale in January. I am amused.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
4/10/09 7:22 p.m.

Wife is playing cars w/ friends, so I'm going to get something bad-for-me to eat while I let the auction build up on the DVR.

I saw a bit from last night and some of the selling prices were dismal. A 200 mile 2007 Z06 for $50k. LAWL.

zipty842
zipty842 New Reader
4/10/09 7:23 p.m.

SPEED really is the best place to watch cars that haven't moved under their own power for years.

Here's an idea - Bring back Speedvision as a 'SPEED 2', and show all of that awesome racing footage in the archives.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
4/10/09 7:35 p.m.

I'm thinking now is a good time to buy an investment car.

Sit on it for 5 years, profit.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aF7dsnVUamQpwlCfyP0PV8nR1MU0h4yqEtzEGPgPPNup3JYr1BSmCWZsQorVsefk