1 2
DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
6/8/21 8:28 p.m.

Ok, planning a large move (is any move small???) and am debating on taking my air compressor and air tools vs selling my compressor and air tools and replacing them with battery operated tools. Here's the things that are going into my decision:

I'm not a professional mechanic anymore, and I don't see myself doing any large project anytime soon/ever again. 

I will be continuing to do my own maintenance and repairs until I'm too old to keep doing that (approaching 50 like like a Mustang approaches a crowd at a Cars and Coffee).  

The air compressor isn't some sub-par junk you get at Lowes (no offense to anyone that has one), it's an Ingersoll Rand 60-gallon vertical. It was the one of the lower models in their Industrial range 20 years ago. It wasn't cheap. It should last a long time.

The air tools I have are also good quality (IR 2131 impact, Snap-On air ratchet, die grinder, etc.). They should last a long time.

I no longer have a sand blaster and don't expect I'll get another.

Not sure how batteries will hold up being stored and possibly not used for a few months.

With tech changing, will the batteries even be available when I need to replace them?

I expect the new house won't have 220V in the garage. So it'll take $hundreds to get the compressor operational.

I expect my new garage won't be as large as the current one. space will be at a premium. The compressor could go outside, even build an enclosure.

So, would you drag the air compressor over a thousand miles and put in in the new place, or get some new electric tools?
If you use(d) electric tools, what brand did/do you have, and what are your impressions?
I'd want a 1/2" drive impact, 3/8 and 1/4 ratchet and a small angle/die grinder.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
6/8/21 8:42 p.m.

I'd say for the future electric. Batteries will hold charge forever (like 6 months at least) so prolonged non use will not be a problem. It will be a pretty large investment to get a good quality set but in my opinion totally worth it. I have Makita but I feel like Milwaukee is the go to now. Maybe dewalt. If any budget considerations, rigid, ryobi, etc are pretty excellent too. 

that said- I still have an air compressor, and it's really nice to be able to air up tires, or the odd thing blowing down a workbench, and today used it to blast the carbon off the backside of the intake valves on the gti. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/8/21 8:47 p.m.

If you have the money for it, Milwaukee M18 and M12 will do it. Really M12 will handle almost anything below a big truck or prolonged hammer drill use.

I would sell the big compressor, and get a 30-50 gallon belt drive for the new place just to have air around. My 30 gallon belt driven is sitting in a harbor freight wooden dolly, that helps at least move it around instead of being permanently mounted and in the way. 

Filling up tires, plasma cutting, cleaning stuff off, inflating pool crap, it's just nice to have air I feel. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/8/21 8:54 p.m.

I have an M12 3/8 stubby impact that is used more than my air version. It's awesome as is the M12 drill and impact driver.

I'll always have a compressor though. Electric die grinders suck. As do electric body saws and electric finger sanders. They are too bulky or weak. I also last used my blast cabinet about 3 hours ago. All of those are air hogs so the Quincy will be staying. 

I vote keep. Good air compressors are expensive. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/8/21 8:57 p.m.

Holding charge for a few months isn't likely to be an issue.  They will age out and stop working eventually though, I'd guess 5-10 years.  Whether or not you'll be able to buy new ones then I don't know.  Historically the availability lifetime of batteries hasn't been that great (10-15 years at best from introduction, let's say), but the tools that use them are much more popular now than they used to be so maybe that will change.

I have battery tools for the track and will use the battery ratchet even at home.  I'll usually break out the air impact though, because the battery one is super loud and doesn't have the oomph of the air one.  The infamous RX-7 flywheel nut defied my Milwaukee, but the IR impact wrench took it off no problem.

In the situation you describe I'd think about selling the big compressor but keeping the air tools and picking up a smaller 110v compressor for the new garage.  You're going to want it for filling tires if nothing else.

thashane
thashane GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/8/21 10:13 p.m.

Another vote for Milwaukee. Don't have to drag hoses around, or wait for the compressor.

I have the m18 die grinder, no where near as pleasant as air, same for the small right angle grinders.

If you ever plan to do any painting though... or plasma cutting, still going to need the air compressor. Unless you want to buy a new one, I'd take it with you. I haven't touched my air impacts since I bought into electric, but don't have the heart to get rid of them, lots of good times with those tools. I should probably oil them next time I fill up the air compressor.

Oh ya, still use air compressor to blow out radiators, heavy equipment air filters, and the fins on the beer fridge.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
6/8/21 10:15 p.m.

Milwaukee sounds like a good option here!

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/8/21 11:08 p.m.

I have four Milwaukee drills with bad switches. I am a little disappointed since I moved from craftsman thinking it was an upgrade.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
6/9/21 6:22 a.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

You will always need both.  20 years ago  I thought I was done building race cars. Yet here I am.  My sand blast cabinet is in pieces but it's still going to be used. Modern battery powered tools are a blessing but some tools are still best using air. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/9/21 7:27 a.m.

While I definitely agree with a move to battery tools for most tasks, I still occasionally run into situations when only the IR 2131ti will get the job done.  Considering you have a nice set-up, I'd be inclined to keep/move it.

Eventually I'll bite the bullet and spend the $$ on the Milwaukee M18 tools.  It seems rare that anyone has problems with them. 

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
6/9/21 7:35 a.m.

For an impact, I prefer air.  They're not quite as big as the powerful battery ones and a good air impact is often stronger as well.  For most other tools, electric works quite well.  And having air for airing up tires or a dust blower is handy. 

Keep in mind, if you're not using a blast cabinet, air powered grinder or other tools that draw a ton of air, you don't need a massive compressor.  You could easily sell the one you've got and pick up a decent quality 120v compressor (like one of the 30 gal / oil lube units) and it would still be more than enough for an impact and other basic tools. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/21 9:06 a.m.

I haven't used my air compressor in years, the noise and hassle aren't worth it. I have two battery sets, one is a Makita that can power a TON of stuff. You can debate Makita VS Dewalt VS whatever all day long, but the newest tools are all pretty darn good. I  went with Makita because I prefer Home Depot and had a lot of points to spend there. If you can start out with brushless tools, all the better.

Best Cordless Drills of 2021 - Consumer Reports

I run a lot of tools, including impact wrenches, and I have no complaints about Makita so far. The big brick battery is kinda large, however, so I also have a Milwaukee M12 Fuel for a 3/8" rachet and a die-grinder.  This battery powers a lot of other things, and IIRC you can swap in a larger batter as well, so starting with Milwaukee may be a better option.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/21 9:09 a.m.

Milwaukee M12

Makita

Dewalt

You'll be covered.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/9/21 9:14 a.m.

Milwaukee and Ridgid are both good about battery support, and others may be as well. 

Milwaukee has the 3/8 ratchet which is a consensus favorite tool of many who have it. You should be able to pick one up with a 1/2 and 3/8 impact for about what you'll get selling your air stuff for. 

Father's Day sales are current in the big box stores right now, I believe one of them has buy one get one on Milwaukee stuff. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
6/9/21 9:36 a.m.

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I have had a few Milwaukee tools break:

• 3/8" drive M12 ratchet, the ratcheting mechanism stopped working.  Replaced free under Milwaukee warranty
  • M18 impact screwdriver, the switch failed.  Replaced free under Milwaukee warranty
  • M18 angle grinder, bearings seized on the motor.  Out of warranty, bought a FUEL replacement (brushless)

Overall, I like the Milwaukees, the tools have good power and work well (I have yet to find a bolt, no matter how rusted or cross-threaded, that the M18 impact won't take out) but they have not been 100% reliable.  Thankfully the warranty is good and they honor it.  If I had to start building an ecosystem from scratch, I might look into Rigid- IIRC they have a lifetime tool warranty. 

Definitely keep the air.  I downsized compressors, but still use it for blowing stuff off, airing tires, plasma cutter, die grinder, etc. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/9/21 10:30 a.m.

I'd miss my air compressor and air tools if I had to give them up.  I have both battery powered tools and air tools.  The durability, light weight and ease of cleanup of the air tools make them my first choice when I'm in the shop. 

My air ratchet, for example, is over 30 years old and I know that when I grab it out of the drawer it's going to work and when I'm done with it I can hose it off with brake clean, wipe it off and stick it back in the drawer.  If I drop it (again) it'll be just fine. 

My Makita cordless impact gun produces more torque than my old faithful IR231 impact but it weighs a ton and as good as it is the plastic housing isn't as durable as the aluminum and steel Ingersal. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
6/9/21 12:20 p.m.

Honestly the answer is both. Electric tools have gotten to a wild point where they can do everything but the biggest air tool jobs and some special things like needle scaling, but since you already have tons of those things it would be a waste to replace them just for something less noisy. What you SHOULD do however, is look to see the massive universe of parts and things you can use with them pictured above and decide how much you can exchange around the home for those ecosystems- Makita and Ryobi especially have a tool for literally every job you can think of, to the point where Makita makes a skeleton "dock" so you can use their batteries with your own home electronics.

Before you buy, take a look at Project Farm's comparison videos and research lightly to see what conglomerate owns who- I think DeWalt and Milwaukee are owned by the same company. The only one I know of that isn't apart of some corporate hegemony is Makita.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/9/21 12:42 p.m.

Go electric. I went Dewalt 20V but I'm sure any of the systems would be fine (including hammer store).

Sell your big ass compressor and get something like this for when you do need air:

California Air Tools 10020C on Amazon

I had a 3hp 60 gallon belt drive Campbell Hausfeld I bought for $400 in 1999. It was really loud so I sold it around 2014 for $400. I bought the CAT compressor and have run the crap out of it. I mostly use it to run the mist cooling system on my CNC mill and it probably has a few hundred hours on it. Its never given me any trouble. 

colinshark
colinshark New Reader
6/9/21 9:37 p.m.

Damn, I feel old defending the old tech.

These battery tools are so expensive! I'd be on board if the prices for the bare tool (no battery) were comparable to the air tools, but it's not even close.

I've had an IR231 for almost a decade and it's just a workhorse. As stated above, it will budge the "infamous RX-7 flywheel nut". It takes forever to fill out a tool collection. I want them all to be effective and last the remainder of my lifetime.

And then, like my brad nailer from harbor freight. It was $20 and I use that thing many times per year.

It seems harder to grow a battery tool collection. How many tools can you add before the standard changes or the tech improves?

Trent
Trent PowerDork
6/9/21 9:41 p.m.

I can't be the only person who hopes to never have to listen to the banshee wail of a pneumatic ratchet ever again. 

I don't have enough hearing remaining to sacrifice what's left to a ratchet

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
6/9/21 10:29 p.m.

I forgot to say my makita set has been nothing short of dead nuts reliable. 12 years. Beaten on like a rented mule. Just the impact driver and drill so far. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/10/21 5:37 a.m.

In reply to Trent :

I haven't ever had my own air compressor and tools until a few years ago.  I used the air ratchet once, and it's so loud I've never had it out again. I figured that maybe it was so loud because it was a cheap HF tool. I guess that's just the way they all are. 

I already owned the 20 v batteries for my Dewalt brushless driver and drill, added a 1/2 inch impact and now that's all I use for my frequent tire swaps. 

GVX19
GVX19 HalfDork
6/10/21 6:47 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I have melted my M12 hammer drill at least 4 times and it still works. I need to find a way to get the grease back in. And it still works!

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
6/10/21 7:13 a.m.

For me, the biggest advantage of the battery tools is no long extension cord, or, worse, pneumatic snake chasing me around the garage.  IMO, that's worth the price of admission right there. 

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
6/10/21 7:51 a.m.
Trent said:

I can't be the only person who hopes to never have to listen to the banshee wail of a pneumatic ratchet ever again. 

I don't have enough hearing remaining to sacrifice what's left to a ratchet

Any time I use the air impact in my garage, I walk over to the snowblower and grab the hearing protection muffs first.  Same thing if I reach for the mini sledge.  Even if it's short term enough not to do permanent damage, it's a pain to do something loud in the garage and then not be able to hear well for a few minutes after. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mdZx2DcdcI7OccAjoKf5onqZdImq4LBTWsoLmNimX2IAu3znhKT6A07dAjCU3Qgz