1 2
AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/4/20 12:29 p.m.

I also imagine BBS sponsorship $$$$ played a role.  I don't even know who made the steelies and lug nuts and I've taken 'em off and put 'em on.  I know who made the tires though.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
3/4/20 12:44 p.m.
Ian F said:

Does the move to an 18" wheel mean the cars will get larger brakes?

This is pic is a few weeks old now, they're obviously still using 5 lugs here, but the brakes definitely appear much larger

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/20 3:06 p.m.
Duke said:

Didn't they have a gun head that could run all 5 lugs simultaneously anyway?

Someone may have tried one, I don't recall but the current gun and socket is really only limited now by how quick you can move from lug to lug so it may not be any quicker, and NASCAR is quick to ban gimmicks like that pretty fast.  I remember a Busch team replaced their air hoses with backpack tanks and they were banned after one pit stop.  

300zxfreak
300zxfreak New Reader
3/5/20 9:19 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

That's because the Busch team was found to have beer in that backpack tank.

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
3/5/20 10:12 p.m.
300zxfreak said:

In reply to Wally :

Beer is a lousy tire-inflation medium...

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
3/6/20 4:39 a.m.
300zxfreak said:

In reply to Wally :

They got caught because every time they pulled the trigger on the air gun it went BUSCHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/20 5:13 a.m.
Wally said:
Duke said:

Didn't they have a gun head that could run all 5 lugs simultaneously anyway?

Someone may have tried one, I don't recall but the current gun and socket is really only limited now by how quick you can move from lug to lug so it may not be any quicker, and NASCAR is quick to ban gimmicks like that pretty fast.  I remember a Busch team replaced their air hoses with backpack tanks and they were banned after one pit stop.  

Holman-Moody (I think) was testing that in the 1960s, and Bill France decided that it was not a good idea to have men running around with 2000psi tanks on their backs in the pits.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/6/20 5:30 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Seeing a few pit-crew members getting rolled up onto the hood in the pits.... I'd have to agree.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r2KP2cScsH7wCNpikDeDMPsFppoMpo88eSDi4MjrLPb6Opxgjs6WtzyZPqx47x5S