1 2
hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/2/10 9:30 a.m.

Just want to post another example of why it is important to have third party eyes check out that "perfect" car. Here is a 7,000 mile Mazda GLC on Ebay that is not exactly as advertised even though there are LOTS of pictures.

1978 Mazda GLC

I looked at this car last year in FL for another GRM board member. He sent me initial picts of the car and gave me the contact info of the guy in Tampa who was happy to show me the car. He hadn't owned it too long so I tend to believe he didn't know it's true history. From my inspection it looked to me like the car had been hit pretty hard at some point in the right front and repaired. The repair wasn't poorly done (other than a few bits) and the car is still a nice car, just not worth $8000 IMO.

Here is a link to the picts I took during my inspection of the car.

1978 Mazda GLC inspection picts

If, by chance, anyone here is actually interested in this car I also sent a full inspection report to the GRM member that I can forward. This is a very nice car but it has some issues which in my mind should be revealed in the Ebay listing when asking this type of $$ but were not.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
9/2/10 9:32 a.m.

In reply to hobiercr:

This car was featured on BAT in the past day or two. You might want to let them know what you know.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
9/2/10 9:59 a.m.

I have this typed up on BaT,but have not sent it yet:

Beware guys!!! I had a friend look at this car last year when it was for sale in FL,and it is not all it appears. This car has had a serious front end collision on the right side some point in its life. The guy who looked at it has pics to prove it. you can sort of see the damage in that one pic of the engine bay that is rotated 90*. Along the chassis where the fender bolts on there is a ripple you can see,and that was the tip off for me when I was thinking of buying it. I am glad I had a set of eyes on it to see this better. The car is cool,and a true time capsule,but it isn't as nice under the skin as it seems on the outside. I don't want to cost the seller a sale,but I also don't want to be sitting on this info,and have someone buy it,and then find out.

What do you guys think?

Chris

hobiercr
9/2/10 10:11 a.m.

Chris, I actually already sent something to BaT basically saying the same thing. Probably wouldn't hurt if you sent something too. I think this is a very cool, drive-able car BUT it does have an issue which I believe hurts it's "original" claim/value.

Clay
Clay Reader
9/2/10 10:12 a.m.

That's a heck of a pre-purchase inspection. Nicely done! You should start a side business.

Otto_Maddox
Otto_Maddox Reader
9/2/10 10:19 a.m.

For that kind of money, I'd want a perfect GLC Sport.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
9/2/10 11:21 a.m.
Clay wrote: That's a heck of a pre-purchase inspection. Nicely done! You should start a side business.

+1
Well Done

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
9/2/10 12:14 p.m.

Looks just like the car I had in HS back in the late '70's! Now way no how would I pay $8k for one. I don't care how nice it is. That was more than it was new, and it was not all that entertaining even then.

Great job on the inspection!

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/2/10 12:22 p.m.

Well, it's a GLC with floors. That alone has to make it worth $4-5k, even if the thing had dings and dents and stuff, no?

SVTF
SVTF New Reader
9/2/10 12:32 p.m.

Rather have this for less: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/1921931422.html

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/10 12:37 p.m.
Clay wrote: That's a heck of a pre-purchase inspection. Nicely done! You should start a side business.

Not only does he do a hell of a PPI, he does transport too! He, sight unseen, agreed to bring a parts car to me on his trailer for just the cost of gas. I owe him many beers at the Challenge!

I nominate John for GRM community member of the year!

pete240z
pete240z Dork
9/2/10 12:55 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: I nominate John for GRM community member of the year!

I just like to nominate people for "stuff" of the year!

hobiercr
9/2/10 12:57 p.m.

Don't even mention it. I was just in the right place at the right time and believe in paying it forwards...

This is the GLC I want to replace my current H Production GLC which doesn't have a straight panel on it... 1980 GLC However, If I bring another car home my wife will leave me...Anybody have a garage I can store this in...

imirk
imirk
9/2/10 12:58 p.m.

So in general how does a GLC stack up vs. a Starlet or some other funky early light FR Hatch? (american maybe?)

Otto_Maddox
Otto_Maddox Reader
9/2/10 1:52 p.m.

In reply to imirk:

My parents bought a new yellow 1978 GLC Sport back in the day. It was nearly bulletproof, but the handling sucked and the engine was powerless and rough. My sister got it in 1986. I got a 1978 Scirocco a year later which was light years ahead of the GLC in everything but reliability.

integraguy
integraguy Dork
9/2/10 3:44 p.m.

I can't imagine why anyone would ever pay more than $4K for a nice/mint GLC, much less $8K. When the 1st gen. GLC appeared, Ford had just launched the VASTLY superior Fiesta. There's a car that would be worth that kind of money if a low mileage example could be found.

"Honey, I just bought a super nice Mazda GLC."

"What, you couldn't find a rust-free Chevy Chevette?"

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/3/10 9:51 a.m.

I remember seeing one of these at an autocross in New York with a rotary swap. Very cool.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
9/3/10 10:12 a.m.
integraguy wrote: I can't imagine why anyone would ever pay more than $4K for a nice/mint GLC, much less $8K.

Somebody out there in their mid 40's tagged the hottest ass he ever had when he was in highschool in a GLC. Memories of said ass is what makes a GLC worth $8K.

hobiercr
9/3/10 10:19 a.m.

As someone who has campaigned a GLC in SCCA (when I could afford it) I can tell you they are fun. A built 1.3 with dual Weber 40's can really make the car scoot...

Me at Sebring.

The problem is, sometimes the old parts can fatigue causing unforeseen problems.

And if anyone thinks that is photoshopped...

A few years before I took the car to Sebring for an autocross. Not so easy to handle on a tight course with a locked rear end. Didn't matter either way as I sheared a connecting rod right off the start on my final run. This is still one of my favorite pictures...

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/3/10 11:06 a.m.
hobiercr wrote: However, If I bring another car home my wife will leave me...Anybody have a garage I can store this in...

Yes, hiding it off-site is obviously the best thing to do. There's no way that could go wrong

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/3/10 12:11 p.m.

I never knew they could float.

ansonivan
ansonivan HalfDork
9/3/10 12:34 p.m.

Ah yes, hover inversion problems, I've seen that a number of times when the skyhook controllers get old.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
9/3/10 12:39 p.m.

That is an awesome picture Hobiercr!!!! Now you may not feel the same about,but you made it out unhurt I imagine,so you got that going for ya. Thanks for posting on the BaT site. I hope the guy sells the car,but you have to be upfront about things like that in my opinion.

Chris

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/3/10 1:11 p.m.
integraguy wrote: I can't imagine why anyone would ever pay more than $4K for a nice/mint GLC, much less $8K. When the 1st gen. GLC appeared, Ford had just launched the VASTLY superior Fiesta.

The GLC is the same chassis, more or less, as the RX-3, no? Bolt in RX-7 crossmember to convert it to rotary?

Try that with a Fiesta.

Otto_Maddox
Otto_Maddox Reader
9/3/10 1:14 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

Maybe, but start out with a $300 GLC instead of an $8K GLC.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FbOvNJ0zMgp08GbJ1DpF0Ji2Nk6J8QtyjJ5Wtqlb3t5LITvhdcsrBvGJoHdlKTRj