1 2 3
Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
1/13/15 7:50 a.m.

A change in my job (I'll now be working from home) has eliminated the absolute need for my Prius. I may just sit on it, but I'm considering getting rid of it and either getting myself something more fun, or replacing the '06 Sedona my wife currently uses as a DD.

If she wins out, she would prefer a behemoth SUV. Since it'll be able to tow a full trailer...who am I to argue?? She also wants something newer and lower miles. I'd like to keep the spend to $20k or so. With those parameters, we're looking at '08-'12 models with under 60k miles. Choices include:
base model Suburban
Nissan Armada
Ford Expedition
Acadia family tree is a wild card, but I think she'd prefer the big boys.

We have to go test drive, but she gravitates towards the Suburban or Armada. I see Armadeas everywhere here in Atlanta, they outnumber Suburbans and Expeditions hands down. Anyone on the board own an Armada? I know it's a Titan underneath and haven't heard a lot of horror stories about them. Apples to apples, they're a bit less than the 'burban, so it'd allow us to get a newer/lower mileage one with more goodies she wants.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/13/15 7:56 a.m.

I've got some extended family that has had one for years, and they seem very happy with it. I don't know that I've ever asked directly how they like it, but they're not the sort of people to tolerate mechanical foolishness, so I'd assume it's been earning its keep.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/13/15 7:58 a.m.

Make sure her test drive includes a parking deck. Every morning I wait behind at least one person doing s 14 point parking job in something similar in size. I know I'm not having fun watching it so my guess is the drivers aren't having much fun doing it.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
1/13/15 7:59 a.m.

I've always heard the only thing with worse fuel economy than a Titan is a Tundra. Never heard bad things about the Titans from a use and reliability point of view, but everyone I've known says it has the mpg of a late 70s F150. Like single digits around town and 11-12 on the highway in actual use. Although none of them will be great, that just seems insulting to me when I'm paying big money for a new vehicle.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/15 8:01 a.m.

A $20,000 Armada is likely to have close to 100,000 miles on the odo. A $20,000 Kia Borrego will have all the bells and whistles and under 50,000 miles. It has a V8, can tow 7500 pounds and is only about 10% smaller. Your mileage improves from 12mpg to 15mpg! I know I am the Kia flag waver around here, but it is a pretty good deal for a used SUV.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/13/15 8:02 a.m.

... Did we actually get those in North America?

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
1/13/15 8:03 a.m.
ultraclyde wrote: I've always heard the only thing with worse fuel economy than a Titan is a Tundra. Never heard bad things about the Titans from a use and reliability point of view, but everyone I've known says it has the mpg of a late 70s F150. Like single digits around town and 11-12 on the highway in actual use. Although none of them will be great, that just seems insulting to me when I'm paying big money for a new vehicle.

+1 to that comment. Friend had a Titan as a company truck. He loved it except for insane MPG's. But then I remembered it being surprizingly fast the few times I drove it.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/13/15 8:05 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: ... Did we actually get those in North America?

For one year. Have fun finding one and parts.

Go suburban/Tahoe. They ride softer than the fords and the lady's seem it like it.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
1/13/15 8:08 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: A $20,000 Armada is likely to have close to 100,000 miles on the odo. A $20,000 Kia Borrego will have all the bells and whistles and under 50,000 miles. It has a V8, can tow 7500 pounds and is only about 10% smaller. Your mileage improves from 12mpg to 15mpg! I know I am the Kia flag waver around here, but it is a pretty good deal for a used SUV.

I'm a huge Kia fan, we've had our '06 Sedona since new. But the Borrego was only here for a few years...I think the newest would be '08. I have considered them. You'd be surprised with the Armada, I've seen a few here right around $20k that have 60k miles or less.

Fuel mileage isn't as big a deal for us. Our Sedona only gets 17-18 currently. My wife's commute is only 7 miles each way.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
1/13/15 8:09 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

The Borrego? Yeah. They were only here for one model year (2009). They didn't sell well. Not because they sucked, it just was the wrong time to bring out a big SUV with a V8.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
1/13/15 8:11 a.m.

I've known a couple people that had Armadas, they seemed to like them.

Me personally, I don't care for the looks, but you're not me.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/13/15 8:12 a.m.

I wouldn't look at the Nissan if only for the rear-end issues that seem to be floating around. Not a trait you want in a tow rig.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
1/13/15 8:23 a.m.

Tahoe or Burb

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/13/15 8:26 a.m.

Friend of mine's wife has an Armada. Nice enough vehicle, but a bit out-of-date compared to the competition these days. And, as mentioned, the fuel mileage is horrendous, even by the standards of the class.

Personally, I'd go with one of the GM variants. Pretty nice, decent-looking, LSx-powered, and common.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
1/13/15 8:26 a.m.

I want to say get the ford, but get the GMC/Chevy.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/13/15 8:52 a.m.

My wife absolutely loves her '08 Expedition Limited and ours has heated and cooled front seats.
I believe the '09-'10 had a better 6-speed auto transmission, but so far this one has been trouble free and we have 141,000 on it.
I'm amazed how nice it rides and it is rated to pull over 9,000 lbs. It still looks modern since they never made major changes to the body style in 5+ years.
We call ours the monster truck.
I would have went with the Tahoe or Suburban, but I had a co-worker selling this Expy for trade-in value. Hey, sometimes its all about the deal and wifey was sold the moment she got behind the wheel.
 photo iPhone1-15077.jpg

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
1/13/15 8:59 a.m.

I'd go Suburban or Yukon XL.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/13/15 9:03 a.m.

For a huge SUV, go domestic.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/13/15 9:04 a.m.

Heh.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4823180630.html

maj75
maj75 Reader
1/13/15 9:08 a.m.

I've owned 2 Suburbans, a 1500 and 2500. The 2500 had the 6.0 Vortec. I'd go with the 2500 if you want to tow, the transmission is much stronger. The milage isn't much different. Tons of room, versatile with removable rear seats.

I'm thinking about one for a tow vehicle, myself.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
1/13/15 9:10 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Heh. http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4823180630.html

The b!tch of that is as big as that is, since it only seats 4, it wouldn't be "big" enough for us. We need something that can seat 7 or 8. But I'd sure love to have 2 of my kids sitting that far apart from each other, it would solve the "Dad, he's looking at me...Dad, she's snoring" crap...

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
1/13/15 9:35 a.m.

If you need seating for 7 or 8, then Suburban/Yukon XL or Excursion/Expedition EL (XL?). The regular Tahoe, Expedition, Armdada, etc offer pitiful cargo space behind the 3rd seat when in use.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
1/13/15 10:00 a.m.
maj75 wrote: I've owned 2 Suburbans, a 1500 and 2500. The 2500 had the 6.0 Vortec. I'd go with the 2500 if you want to tow, the transmission is much stronger. The milage isn't much different. Tons of room, versatile with removable rear seats. I'm thinking about one for a tow vehicle, myself.

This is the reason I went with the 2500 myself. Mine has the 8.1L Vortec though. In open highway driving I get around 14. Town and towing are around 9. I can't complain though as I only have 5k in the thing.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
1/13/15 10:02 a.m.

If you look at the Nissan, look at the Infiniti version too. The Infiniti name depreciates so quickly that the price difference can be very little.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
1/13/15 10:05 a.m.

A quick search around me leads me to believe that a Burban with 60k ish miles and 2008+ is going to be rough for $20K. The expedition might be easier to find for your budget and requirements. No personal experience with the newer Fords though.

Have you considered the Lincon MKT or the Ford Flex? As much or more space, decent towing, better MPGs. Not as manly but probably more comfy.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qnFJp3gCoRXoiyoC39qC2zHioF39btY5qTCQsqmBDJKvmXfggxQ6T3yLaNpZXlWi