G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
5/27/16 12:14 a.m.

Adjustable up to 3" lower in the front, and a fixed 4" lower in the back. This combined with Bushwacker's new pocket-style flares mean that you can now build your new widebody small sports truck of your dreams.

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
5/27/16 12:23 a.m.

The new Colorado isn't small though.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
5/27/16 1:07 a.m.

People still build minitrucks?

NickD
NickD Dork
5/27/16 5:21 a.m.

Have they released a kit that makes the transmission not blow up before 3000 miles though? Because that'd be just grand.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/27/16 6:19 a.m.

I'll take the bushwacker flares and a long travel suspension on mine in diesel flavor and 2wd on some BFG KO2s or General AT2s.

Yes they aren't small trucks, but they are a parkable size that can navigate a road that doesn't feature 11' wide lanes while still being capable of towing more than an MA miata on an open deck aluminum trailer. And provides seating for 2 adults in the rear (though above 6' in the rear is an issue). In 3 years I hope to have a diesel in the driveway as the daily, I'm even over the sticker based on it serving 3 duties with one vehicle (daily, towing, light/moderate off roading (yes even when opting for 2wd).

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
5/27/16 6:49 a.m.

Boiler plate opinions are like shiny happy people disclaimer

Pocket flares are one of the most atrocious things ever slapped onto a truck or SUV. Flares have a place, exposed hardware and the related "pockets" do not.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
5/27/16 6:59 a.m.

I was looking at one this week and my first thought was it looked tall for 2WD

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
5/27/16 11:32 a.m.
NickD wrote: Have they released a kit that makes the transmission not blow up before 3000 miles though? Because that'd be just grand.

No idea. Although the 6L50 transmission appears to suffer mostly from software issues, the few hardware issues reported are a bit troubling.

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
5/27/16 11:40 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

The last crew cab short bed one I saw as parked next to a GMT900 Yukon XL. They looked to be about the same length and height to me. I think I'd rather just have an older full size if it's going to be that big.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
5/27/16 11:40 a.m.

The term Mini Truck should be upgraded to Midi Truck since that's what they really are now.

With the brodozer appearance being the fad now, really the 4-wheel drive appearance. All truck look like 4-wheel drive trucks. Found out that it works in the manufacturers benefit. They only have to build one platform and the only differences are the addition of a transfer case, front diff and axles. That's why my new 2WD Tacoma is the same the same height as a 4WD Tacoma. They even advertise off-road capability.

NickD
NickD Dork
5/27/16 11:41 a.m.
G_Body_Man wrote:
NickD wrote: Have they released a kit that makes the transmission not blow up before 3000 miles though? Because that'd be just grand.
No idea. Although the 6L50 transmission appears to suffer mostly from software issues, the few hardware issues reported are a bit troubling.

I know. I work for GM. We had one that by 290 miles had had 2 new transmissions put in it. Something about the design, there is a large snapring that has to be indexed juuuuuust right or it fatigues the tabs in the case and then breaks them off and junks the case. Seen a few. Also seen a lot of issues with the 3.6L engine, go figure. And the diesel uses a timing belt design (Why?!) with a 150,000 mile interval! That sounds like broken engines just waiting to happen.

chiodos
chiodos Dork
5/27/16 12:35 p.m.

So pretty much no...

Secret_Chimp
Secret_Chimp New Reader
5/27/16 12:42 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: People still build minitrucks?

Those who still do are still using garbage-spec 80s and 90s S10s with terrifying drop frames built out of booger-MIG'd square tubing

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
5/27/16 1:09 p.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

I saw a delivery-spec Colorado at the FLAPS, next to a ~70ish GMC. Without getting out a tape measure, I'd say they were the same size.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/16 1:29 p.m.
Chadeux wrote: The new Colorado isn't small though.
Trans_Maro wrote: People still build minitrucks?

And we're done here.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
5/27/16 3:38 p.m.

Well since the 6L50 is having issues, why not just row your own with the standard stick?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/27/16 7:07 p.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man:

Sadly the manual is apparently more soul sucking then actually letting in ponder which gear to select on it's own. The diesel also doesn't have the manual option.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke Reader
5/27/16 8:07 p.m.

My new diesel canyon should be here next week. Stoked. 30+ highway mpg and can tow as well as the 1500 I have now? Yes please. They're also super easy to park.

NickD
NickD Dork
5/28/16 5:49 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

And I have yet to actually see a stick shift one. Every one that we've gotten in on our lot has been automatic. The manual Colorado is like the sub-$32000 Colorado: On paper it exists, but I have never seen one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VvgItvcpdDNCov0NwhjwRRYRIkITs3F4cdQvFNvNsyVS673pqOIPdDctypuW4tQX