ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
9/19/15 9:47 p.m.

I've seen evidence of both when a high mileage vehicle hasn't had it done. It can wreck drove ability or improve it what's yours ideas?

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/19/15 10:16 p.m.

Filter and fluid change shouldn't be a big deal..

I've heard of bad stories if you use a powered flush on a high mileage auto and it hasn't been maintained well during its life, so I'd avoid that.

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
9/19/15 10:25 p.m.

do the filter first. put a few hundred miles on it then do the flush either with the slow old bucket trick mentioned here or find a shop that uses a fluid exchanger.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
9/19/15 10:56 p.m.

Has it ever been changed ? If not don't, just keep full.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
9/20/15 12:48 a.m.

If a pan drop "kills" a transmission, it was already dead.

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
9/20/15 1:31 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: If a pan drop "kills" a transmission, it was already dead.

^^^ this, as a guy who does it for a living i have yet to see a flush or filter change kill a transmission that wasnt already slipping when they finally decided to have it done.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
9/20/15 5:25 a.m.

You don't mention have a flush done, just a fluid change, which is what I'd do anyway. I've heard of problems with an actual flush but a pan drop & fluid re-fill shouldn't cause a problem unless the trans is already dying.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/20/15 7:47 a.m.

It might have used to have been a problem on older transmissions. Modern units not so much. I haven't seen a fluid change (we generally do the T-Tech service: gets all of the fluid changed) cause any problems.

I haven't seen a fluid change fix any problems either, any more than an oil change will fix a rod knock.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s9TyqWav1lC5jlkV8Zv8hsHnXm0rFbFgtoVocVcQc9eVfdqraXSwTCTolV6ya3R1