mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
4/25/14 5:23 p.m.

I was informed today that the AC on the 911 is not being adequate. It was recharged a little over a year ago and worked all last summer. I could bring it someplace and have them put some refrigerant in, or I could just do it myself.
Anything I should know about AC in a can before I proceed?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/25/14 5:28 p.m.

Is is a R134 system?

If so get a quality hose and a can of R134. The quick fix cans always break before you get the refrigerant out of them.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/25/14 5:32 p.m.

Get a hose like this.

And a can like this.

Don't get one of these. They are horrible to work with and will fail.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
4/25/14 5:38 p.m.

It's 134a now.
Thanks for that. It's exactly what I wanted to know. Good hose and can. Roger.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
4/25/14 6:25 p.m.

You can always call your friendly ac-certified master tech friend in ol' San Antone, too.

If it's just low, it will probably work ok just from getting a can hooked up to it and getting low side pressures in the ballpark. Hopefully you don't have to dig into it any more than that. Sweaty wife=sweaty life? Ew.

I would add a 2oz can of refrigerant oil to it on general principle, too.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
4/25/14 8:53 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

If adding the can doesn't do the trick you're my next stop.
My suspicion is that the system isn't quite 134a proof. It was originally an R12 system. When I took it to the Porsche guy I asked about converting it. He said the system works as good as it's going to work by just filling it with 134. If things work, good. If no, then we climb in and try to fix it. It's worked for a year. I'm hoping that more coolant will make it last another year. We shall see.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HDnzGyl6AndbUJk5QQShks38HH0IsBYOOwPmn9vwxI4bEqIugBLEIjsU3dyaq5Mu