1 2
redhookfern
redhookfern New Reader
5/16/13 10:27 a.m.

I'm sure a lot of you bring a took kit(s) to the track or even one in the trunk. Now that I finally have the 944 to tinker with, I'm trying to decide what sort of starter's tool kit to get. I know some cars have specific tool needs, so I mean more in general. The qualifiying factors here are cost (not cheapo, but also not some astronomically priced professional set that I won't get the full advantage of), size (I live in Brooklyn, in a NY apartment with NY size storage - none), and best all-around selection of tools most often used.

That's probably still rather vague. But basically just looking for a nicely packed tool kit that I can use for smaller repairs on the Porsche. I would love to have the tools and garages that some of you have, but alas, I am in NYC for now.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/16/13 10:31 a.m.

Here's a thread to get you started.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/looking-for-a-new-mechanic-tool-set/50076/page1/

I still like the Gearwrench set, but haven't looked around to find another source that has them in stock yet.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/16/13 10:33 a.m.

I'd head straight for Sears, pick out the one that best matches your budget/space, and wait for the inevitable sale. My main wrench and ratchet set is still one I won at a Miata meet in 1996!

Are you looking for one that will pack into a briefcase-size container, or something in a small box?

moerdogg
moerdogg New Reader
5/16/13 10:35 a.m.

My parents got me roughly this tool kit years ago when I got my first car. It has been extremely versatile. Other than specialty tools, I have found myself needing very little. Maybe supplement that kit with some u-joint couplings and a combination wrench set, and you'll be good to go.

Keith Tanner
5/16/13 10:37 a.m.

A few more thoughts:

Hex wrenches are cheap, as are screwdrivers. Wrenches and sockets are expensive. So choose a kit that has more of the latter, you can always add screwdrivers and hexes later. Find out what the common sizes are on Porsches (13mm? 15mm? something odd?) and make sure they're represented.

redhookfern
redhookfern New Reader
5/16/13 10:37 a.m.

Exactly, something along the lines of the 2 images before, either a breifcase style or even a small toolbox style. I wish I had more room, but sadly not the case for now.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/16/13 10:42 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I'd head straight for Sears, pick out the one that best matches your budget/space, and wait for the inevitable sale. My main wrench and ratchet set is still one I won at a Miata meet in 1996! Are you looking for one that will pack into a briefcase-size container, or something in a small box?

When I first got the RX-7 and began my journey into doing my own work, my parents got me almost this exact set (though an older model), and many tools from it are still serving me very well though I've picked up a LOT more since then. Something like this, or the equivalent from Harbor Freight's higher-end offerings (their lifetime warranty on hand tools is every bit as good as Craftsman's from my experience- easier actually as far as how long it takes to get a replacement if they have it in stock) should do very well for you, and you can supplement it with specialized tools (or get them from your local Autozone/Advance/Etc. store's loaner program) as those become needed.

Keith Tanner
5/16/13 10:52 a.m.

My only complaint about the blown plastic cases is that they don't grow well - there's no real place for additional tools. So I'd prefer a box with open drawers, more like the second picture.

The flip side is that the blown plastic cases make it really easy to do a quick inventory at the end of a job. My solution is a set of socket racks (like this one). They come in grey and black, and I use one color for metric and one for SAE. They're modular so you can slide more sockets on or even mix sizes. Wrenches are in tool rolls.

I do use a briefcase set for the Vanagon, it's just stashed away in a cubby in case I ever need it. Haven't yet...

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
5/16/13 10:54 a.m.

Stage 1, Sears mechanics set (sizes may vary, buy as big as you can afford)

As needed purchase additional sockets, socket hex, torx, and so on.

Get a breaker bar for your larger rachet size and learn to use that when you are breaking stuff loose. This will save your rachets from breaking.

Length of pipe to go over breaker bar for when more force is needed.

Suppliment with hammers, pliers, screwdriver sets and so on.

Thats how my buildup went...

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/16/13 10:55 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: My only complaint about the blown plastic cases is that they don't grow well - there's no real place for additional tools. So I'd prefer a box with open drawers, more like the second picture.

True- the plastic case for set has long been relegated to a storage cabinet and the tools themselves are in my big rolling toolbox in the garage (which ones aren't in my smaller salvage-yard diving 'fanny pack', at least), but it worked very well for the first year or so and as you said makes it easy to put everything away when you're done (something I'm HORRIBLE at these days...)

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/16/13 12:27 p.m.

Remember that you may want multiple types of the same size when it comes to wrenches and sockets. Deep sockets. Short sockets. Not all short ones are short. Thin wrenches, thick wrenches.

If you can put together a specialized set, do it. In the multipacks there are so many sockets and wrenches that I've never used . . .

redhookfern
redhookfern New Reader
5/16/13 12:37 p.m.

That's what I am worried about - I'll buy a kit and use about 10% of the tools and the others will have no use. I don't think that will be the case, but still. Also, I need someone that has or had a 944 to weigh in here and let me know what sizes are a must-have for this kind of car/Porsche.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/16/13 12:47 p.m.

With my old Civic all I needed was a phillips, 10mm and a 14mm box wrench and a socket for the lug nuts. With that, I could rebuild 90% of the car!

I bought a set of Gearwrench combination wrenches (one fixed side, one ratcheting) and I really recommend them. They work for so many things.

The Gearwrench XL Pass Through sockets are very versatile for working on cars as well.

I also have a flip socket. (19 and 21mm) That thing is great because it matches most any lug nut out there. I carry a torque wrench and 1/2" socket with it for wheel changes. (Only use the black,6-sided torque sockets for rusty suspension work!)

Other than that, some screwdrivers, a 12v DC probe, wire cutters, duct tape and Zip Ties.

redhookfern
redhookfern New Reader
5/16/13 12:57 p.m.

Always zip ties. And electrical tape with this car.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/16/13 12:59 p.m.

I've actually been known to carry a soldering iron and solder in my car... along with an inverter so i can power it off my cigarette lighter.

And then do wiring repairs on the fly.

Don't try this at home, kids!

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
5/16/13 1:39 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I'd head straight for Sears, pick out the one that best matches your budget/space, and wait for the inevitable sale.

I'll second that. Then add and upgrade as necessary.

Keith Tanner wrote: My main wrench and ratchet set is still one I won at a Miata meet in 1996!

The set I use for travelling was won in a tire store drawing in the late 80's.

For space efficiency, I suppose one could inventory the fastener sizes actually on the car and carry only those likely to be needed. Just don't guess wrong.

Mmadness
Mmadness Reader
5/16/13 2:36 p.m.

I bought this kit three years ago and have absolutely beat the E36 M3 out of it: http://www.harborfreight.com/53-piece-tool-kit-65976.html. Understand that I used these tools on my robotics team so I would consider that nearly a professional level of wear and tear. After 2 years, the socket does have a little bit more resistance in it than it did new and one of the hex keys (we only use one size for the robot) is a little bit worn but it still works well. We actually took the smallest hex key, cut it and used it as a shaft key; not joking.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
5/16/13 6:23 p.m.

I like the gearwrench tools. Advance often has 30% off sales, and you can get a pretty decent starter set for about $100 if you do it right.

redstack
redstack Reader
5/16/13 7:20 p.m.

I have the sears briefcase kit pictured and the only complaint is that the stuff on top sometimes all comes cascading down when you open it up if you don't take the utmost care. But lots of sockets in all sizes and basic wrenches and allens. $99 on sale.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/16/13 7:27 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: I like the gearwrench tools. Advance often has 30% off sales, and you can get a pretty decent starter set for about $100 if you do it right.

You can also stack coupon codes on top of that stuff from their website. It's pretty fun.

Sears of all places will also blow out Gearwrench stuff on their website once or twice a year. Often for cheaper than Craftsman prices, for a superior tool. (In my opinion.)

Or there's always Cripe Distributing.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
5/16/13 8:17 p.m.
slantvaliant wrote: For space efficiency, I suppose one could inventory the fastener sizes actually on the car and carry only those likely to be needed. Just don't guess wrong.

This. I had my neon kit down to 8, 10, 13, 15, 18. Wrenches stored on a cheap carabiner.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
11/23/17 3:32 p.m.

Killed a canoe. Nothing to see here. 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
11/23/17 5:30 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Wow .....almost spent too much time putting in my 2 cents.........how after 4 years did this rear it's useless head and you whackamoled' it?????? oh wait a minute...was it the 944 in Brooklyn NY aspect that made you say hmmm????  

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/23/17 7:41 p.m.

I've put together my tools bit by bit, Sears, pawn shops, Harbor Freight, parts store, Lowe's Depot, found on the road or forgotten in the junk yard. 

It's kind of fun to put it together piece by piece. I do wonder what will happen to the Craftsman warranty after Sears goes out of business. Hate to see it happen, I used a part time job at Sears to pay my tuition for a couple of years. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/23/17 8:57 p.m.

I don't care if this is a zombie thread, I'll still recommend this set every time I get a chance. This is what lives in my trailer or goes to the junkyard, except I replaced the box wrenches with HF Gearwrenches.

https://www.harborfreight.com/225-pc-mechanics-tool-set-62664.html

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J1dFRr5Ot42h9ZJz820e3LOwX6LE8FM0Ht70ywI6f0VXKG3nlo13vmD4p7BD9Aj2