1 2
sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/3/13 8:17 a.m.

Hey guys- I'm going to have a new project this weekend, and at this point I just want to get it running and driving for as cheap as possible (don't we all?). I know it needs a battery, and dropping $100 or so on a battery is hard for me to justify on a $300 car. The local Pick-n-Pull sells some used batteries, but they are around $34 once you add in the core (the car has no battery, so I don't have a core to turn in). Anybody know a good place to get a battery for somewhere in between these prices? The cheap Autozone & Advance batteries are in the $85 range, which is better, but I figured the GRMers would know some magical secret to getting a brand new one for next to nothing.

Thanks in advance!

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
4/3/13 8:46 a.m.

Walmart tends to have the lowest battery prices. You can get car sized batteries there for as low as $30ish dollars.

jere
jere Reader
4/3/13 9:05 a.m.

If you want to shed some weight in this project car these are 50 shipped and are pretty much an odessy just with out the branding.

For a full size battery walmart is hard to beat

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
4/3/13 10:55 a.m.

Walmart 26, or 26R(top post battery) depending on which way you want the posts

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/3/13 11:27 a.m.

Advance Auto Parts, order online, pick up in store.

$50 off $125 - DOW14

$40 off $100 - trt41

$30 off $90 - HUGE30

I've ordered online from my phone, carried items to counter, and let them know that I've picked the latest online order for them.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/3/13 11:28 a.m.

Grrr...I HATE that Wal-Mart is probably the cheapest! I like those lightweight Odyssey knock-offs, I just would need to get some terminal conversion pieces and make sure I got one with enough power. This is going in a '75 280z, so it probably doesn't need to be huge...I think the one said 420CCA, which should be plenty. Thanks for the input guys!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/13 11:32 a.m.

for what it is worth.. I ran a BMW 318ti on an odyessy battery rated at 695ccas.. never missed a beat and is probably a higher compression engine than your 75 280. It certainly has higher electrical loads with the electric fan, windows, sunroof, and fuel injection

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/3/13 11:35 a.m.
sethmeister4 wrote: Grrr...I HATE that Wal-Mart is probably the cheapest! I like those lightweight Odyssey knock-offs, I just would need to get some terminal conversion pieces and make sure I got one with enough power. This is going in a '75 280z, so it probably doesn't need to be huge...I think the one said 420CCA, which should be plenty. Thanks for the input guys!

Advance discount code A124 will give you $25 off of $70 or $10 off of $30.

Use that with one of the $40-$50 lawnmower batteries.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/3/13 11:36 a.m.

In reply to m4ff3w:

I'm assuming those are checkout codes?

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
4/3/13 11:37 a.m.

Check your local parts store for used batteries. I work at one and we sell used batteries for 30-40 bucks. Often times someone will blame a perfectly good battery on a no start issue and buy a new one. We take the old one, charge it up, let it sit for 24 hours and test it. Then clean it up and sell them on the cheap. Sometimes you'll get lucky and snag an optima that way too.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/3/13 11:44 a.m.
sethmeister4 wrote: In reply to m4ff3w: I'm assuming those are checkout codes?

Yes, only valid online. Not valid on oil.

More here: http://www.retailmenot.com/view/advanceautoparts.com

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/3/13 12:10 p.m.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I think I may buy an Economy one from Advance and use the $50 off $125 code, as I have a starter and a few other things to order too.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
4/3/13 12:12 p.m.

interstate battery distribution center - see if they have any "blems". I used to get them for $25 - new battery with cosmetic flaws.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/3/13 12:18 p.m.

In reply to oldtin:

Great idea! Thanks!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/3/13 12:29 p.m.

I have had really good luck with the "yellow" AutoZone batteries Not the cheapest but excellent value for the money if you are looking to purchase new. The AutoZone standard ones I have had very poor luck with. My Porsche seems to get a new one every 2 years from them and because they don't sell the size I need in the Yellow version I just keep trading them in.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/3/13 12:32 p.m.
oldtin wrote: interstate battery distribution center - see if they have any "blems". I used to get them for $25 - new battery with cosmetic flaws.

I find it funny that a car battery can actually have a cosmetic flaw. I mean who looks at a battery and sais it is scratched I don't want it?

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
4/3/13 12:57 p.m.

usually knarly looking plastic on an oem-labelled battery - last one I got had acura labels

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/3/13 12:59 p.m.
dean1484 wrote:
oldtin wrote: interstate battery distribution center - see if they have any "blems". I used to get them for $25 - new battery with cosmetic flaws.
I find it funny that a car battery can actually have a cosmetic flaw. I mean who looks at a battery and sais it is scratched I don't want it?

Yeah, that's funny to me too! I just called the local Interstate place, and they said they have a "blem" for the Z for $38 plus a $10 core. I think this is a no brainer! Awesome help guys, I knew somebody would have a great recommendation! Thanks!

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/3/13 6:38 p.m.

anywhere there is a rural king store you get cheap exide batteries. like $45-50 on sale pretty much every week and not much more when not on sale.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/4/13 11:10 a.m.

My "new" Interstate battery "blem"! Looks good to me! The one I called about yesterday was gone, but I got the 800 CCA one for $42.95 once I take back the core. I aint' complain' for sure! I'll find out on Saturday (when I pick up the new project) if it's good. Thanks again guys!

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
4/4/13 3:46 p.m.

i picked up a "reman" battery at CarQuest for $35+ core... it's essentially a brand new battery that someone bought to fix a problem with an alternator or something and returned once they figured out that they wasted their money on the battery.. so they peel the stickers off, charge it up, and sell it as a "reman".. no warranty, but it's less than $50 after tax and core..

Josh
Josh SuperDork
4/4/13 5:19 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: Advance Auto Parts, order online, pick up in store. $50 off $125 - DOW14 $40 off $100 - trt41 $30 off $90 - HUGE30 I've ordered online from my phone, carried items to counter, and let them know that I've picked the latest online order for them.

Nice to know I'm not the only dick who does that :).

Snrub
Snrub New Reader
4/4/13 6:06 p.m.

Costco has very good prices on Batteries. Consumer's Reports rates them highly. According to their testing most other brands vary significantly from size to size. I have a Costco that's less than a year old so I can't give you a realistic firsthand account.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
2/10/15 6:39 a.m.
mayanktanwar wrote: For Best and Cheap Batteries visit Batterybhai.com India's no.1 online battery store. Providing 100% genuine batteries at lowest prices.

Canoe from India

Will
Will SuperDork
2/10/15 8:21 a.m.

In reply to Sine_Qua_Non:

Almost worth it for the "100% genuine batteries" line, though. If I had a nickel for every time I installed a "battery" that was actually just a rock...

1 2

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
GtYF6wprNb3hfPGpqCqxdIiTKUGS2Oa4e6pM4lUqMmdQhNYBnCWcbjq7LMX4TvDx