1 ... 5 6 7
SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
9/11/22 6:14 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, I started the habit when I was driving a turbo diesel. No regrets. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/12/22 3:19 p.m.

So if I wanted to put a DBW LS into my OBS, do I just need to get the throttle pedal too?  All the advice I see is to get an older cable throttle body truck motor for my application.  Honestly it seems like Gen IV and V engines are available at the same prices with lower miles.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
9/12/22 4:28 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

I think that is pretty much it.  Just need to come up with a way to install the DBW pedal in the truck.  Gen IV rods are supposed to be a lot beefier than Gen 3, too.  I'll defer to those with more knowledge, but I seem to recall the newer you go, the worse the valve train gets.  At least that is easy to remedy, though.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/22 6:05 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

So if I wanted to put a DBW LS into my OBS, do I just need to get the throttle pedal too?  All the advice I see is to get an older cable throttle body truck motor for my application.  Honestly it seems like Gen IV and V engines are available at the same prices with lower miles.  

The nutshell (and there are a couple outliers) is if it has a 3 bolt throttle body/24x crank, you need the PCM and TAC module and the pedal, as a set.  If it is a 4 bolt throttle body/58x crank, the throttle control is internal to the PCM (no TAC) and you can use any compatible pedal.

Apparently you can brick an older PCM if the TAC is way different in calibration.

Also, I think technically all TACless drive by wire computers are ECMs with separate TCMs.  Getting the trans control off the module was part of how they could put the throttle control onboard.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/22 6:11 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to SV reX :

Oil changes are important on all turbo engines.  It probably factors into all the Subaru WRX failures as well.  

Keeping the oil level full is a huge factor.  Gotta check every fillup and every other autocross/rallycross run.

1 ... 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZjmreZPqiRZYcjrgiZ0H4YZAK54tqJLHYiO82VCfkXXn0vr5J9iq87Aj6K1b1n0a