1 2 3
NONACK
NONACK Reader
4/4/14 2:34 p.m.

I commute 80 miles a day round trip on twisty, hilly backroads. My my Buell gets ~35 mpg. The Suburban gets ~7 . The Celica gets ~25 mpg in these conditions, which I think is pretty amazing considering the amount of foot-to-the floor time it sees.

I was thinking, nobody really tests real world MPG numbers for vehicles being driven like this. Anybody have a car that beats my Celica? One that beats the bike? (I know you have bikes that will do better, but it's hard to give a crap on the Buell.)

I had an AW11 MR2 that got nearly 30 mpg in similar conditions, but I want to know what else you guys come up with (Miata)

bigev007
bigev007 New Reader
4/4/14 2:41 p.m.

My civic hybrid gets about 26 at an auto-x. Which includes idling between runs to recharge the battery. It does better on back roads, but that's not fair, cause it sucks, and Celicas don't.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
4/4/14 2:46 p.m.

I was going to post that my AW11 gets 30ish even with repeated visits to red-line land, but it looks like you got that covered.

NONACK
NONACK Reader
4/4/14 2:53 p.m.

In reply to Matt B:

I loved mine, and still miss it. The Celica might do just as well with an engine swap, the 22RE is not the most economical thing in the world.

Desmond
Desmond New Reader
4/4/14 2:56 p.m.

My CRX gets mid 30s even when I am shifting at 6k RPM.

confuZion3
confuZion3 UltraDork
4/4/14 3:03 p.m.

My Miata gets about 30 MPG all the time on the street no matter how I drive it. I've never seen it dip below 15 on the track.

When I had a Buell, I got the same mileage you get with yours. On the highway on long trips it would creep up near 50 or 60, but that was at 55 mph tucked into the wind.

The Viper gets like 13 when I have fun with it. 22 if I'm careful like I was that one time right after I bought it, during the trip home. I think I got 11 at the track with it, but it was raining and I didn't push it. I'll let you know this summer when I get it on a dry track.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
4/4/14 3:15 p.m.

My built Swift GT. Running it to 8500 RPM every shift, and generally driving like a total hooligan, I was getting 35 MPG. When using it to commute I would get 52 MPG.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
4/4/14 3:30 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: My built Swift GT. Running it to 8500 RPM every shift, and generally driving like a total hooligan, I was getting 35 MPG. When using it to commute I would get 52 MPG.

Mine had a crappy tune. If I was lucky I could get 33mpg driving back andforth. Auto-x weekends were in the high teens/low 20's range. Damn near what the Vette would do.

The SeX has been the champion here. 2-day auto-x with 7 runs and commuting 105 miles each day averaged 24mpg.

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
4/4/14 3:33 p.m.

96 civic hatch with the lean burn y8 gets 30 if I flog it to death. It gets 38mpg at 80mph.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
4/4/14 3:33 p.m.

My k1200s gets around 40 beating the hell out of it on my commute. I see 45 if I don't run it as hard. Not bad for a 172HP bike.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner New Reader
4/4/14 3:52 p.m.

I got as bad as 21 MPG in my 96 Miata. Back and forth to work, stoplight to stopsign and backroad flogging.

Desmond
Desmond New Reader
4/4/14 4:00 p.m.

Where does the bad MPG of the Miatas come from? They are pretty light, and the engines are pretty small...

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
4/4/14 4:03 p.m.

I've gotten as low as 6 mpg out of a tank on the race track in my 350z and seen as high as 30 on the highway.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
4/4/14 4:05 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: My Miata gets about 30 MPG all the time on the street no matter how I drive it. I've never seen it dip below 15 on the track.

What the berkeley kind of bizzaro alien Miata do you have?! Do you only drive downhill? I've seen 30mpg maybe once in my NB, never in the NA.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/4/14 4:06 p.m.
Desmond wrote: Where does the bad MPG of the Miatas come from? They are pretty light, and the engines are pretty small...

Old motors, not particularly great drag numbers, short gearing.

mike
mike New Reader

In reply to NONACK:09 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, hooliganism is 37, listening to NPR is 45.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork

The MX6 on the current ECU has never returned a tank lower than 26mpg no matter what i'e done with it.

That said, if i could run a whole tank actually in boost, i'd expect MPG to be something like.... 2.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
4/4/14 4:12 p.m.

I'd think that modern day vehicle wise, either a Fiat 500 sport or a Mazda 2 is going to be the best flogged mpg.

Also, don't believe everyone that has written here. Some people are flat out lying about their mpg numbers... :p

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/4/14 4:15 p.m.

I can't compete in this game.

Best, flogged, is 17 mpg out of the Samurai and you have to flog it to keep up with traffic, so it pretty much gets 17 all the time. Everything else is worse by a fairly large margin. I'm pretty sure I could get my truck down into the 5s.

airwerks
airwerks Reader
4/4/14 4:34 p.m.

My boosted Swift GT, flogged constantly and would still return 29-33 mpg. When on road trips, it would do low to mid 40's. Not bad considering the huge cams, and it would still run 14.5's at 95 mph.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth New Reader
4/4/14 4:35 p.m.

00 VW Golf. 50 mpg and I drive it like I stole it. Everyday.

alstevens
alstevens New Reader
4/4/14 4:43 p.m.

I get about 6 with my Rabbit GTI ITB racecar on track. Same with past VW's on track

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
4/4/14 4:58 p.m.

I'd be curious to hear what, our now multiple, Fiat 500 Abarth owners have to say on this subject.

weedburner
weedburner New Reader
4/4/14 5:58 p.m.

20mpg on the hiway, around 700whp at the track...

It's actually cheaper to drive this car to the track than to trailer it..we don't need no stinkin' race gas

carbon
carbon HalfDork
4/4/14 6:05 p.m.

Wife's turbo spyder gets 28 beating it senseless. Tl1000r gets about the same.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HXGLnwmdCwD3TPjRNNixfft2U1w7HPCJgzPl0y5a7IAPUgQIBf3pyaiG0WPZA2p9