teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
9/30/17 4:09 p.m.

We just picked up a used 20' enclosed trailer for hauling the 911 or Quattro. Wondering what people's recommendations are for flooring assuming the current plywood floor is not already the best option.

image by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr" />

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/17 4:43 p.m.

Mine is painted with gray porch paint and it works well, keeps leaks from penetrating the wood

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/17 5:01 p.m.

I had one with the really cool black and white tiles. So cool looking except...

The heat made the glue turn soft and ooze from every crack. Looked like crap. Then the tiles started turning up at the corners and getting caught by everything. Add a little oil and water to the mix and it would turn it into a skating rink. 

My recommendation is stick with the plywood. If you decide to paint it, I'd add some sand to the paint for traction. 

frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
9/30/17 5:52 p.m.

In reply to teamilluminata :

KISS  ( keep it simple S......) 

plain plywood is a good floor (assuming in good condition) it provides decent traction, is easy enough to clean, absorbs oils etc.   

If you absolutly must waste time shellac it!!  Shellac goes on with a paint roller like water,  it's not affected by oil, heat, or almost anything unlike most clear finishes.  It's not a plastic like Eurethane so won't stick to hot tires. 

If water is on it for more than an hour it will turn white but it's insanely easy to spot fix.  Just grab a rag with alcohol on it and rub away the white spot.  Now put thinned shellac where the bare spot is

new shellac melts old shellac. And blends into an invisable repair.  Doesn't matter how old  the shellac is it will melt together

When you buy a gallon of shellac buy two gallons of denatured alcohol. ( that's ethanol alcohol with 2% methanol alcohol mixed in so you don't start drinking it( it's 200 proof corn whiskey). 

Its

Corn whiskey makes you fun! Methanol  is made from coal and first makes you blind and the second drink kills you☠️

It's thinner than water but really easy to paint, slop it on fast!! 

it flows out like water and is darn hard to run. Well it runs like crazy but the second coat melts the first coat and all runs melt together

wipe up what you don't want shellacked with denatured alcohol.  The first coat will dry in 15 minutes. So that's why fast is important and neat doesn't matter.  The second coat takes twice as long to dry the third coat twice again the fourth coat twice again.  By now you have plenty of shine,  in fact I seldom give it more than three quick coats.shellac is tougher than any other paint. Insanely easy to fix and just as easy to apply.  

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/17 7:58 p.m.

I would do paint too. If you want the cool black and white tile thing toyman was talking about, be prepared to mask out squares and paint the opening with a different colour.

Papabear
Papabear New Reader
10/2/17 7:54 a.m.

I have used the Rustoleum Restore deck paint on both a open and enclosed trailer. Works real well non-slip even when wet. It's pretty resistant to car fluids if you wipe them up and not let them sit. Made the biggest difference on the ramp of the enclosed when it was wet before it could be a little slick now that's not a issue.

whenry
whenry Reader
10/2/17 9:19 a.m.

I had aluminum tread plate down the center of my race trailer with the checkerboard tiles around the edges for accent and color.  Never any problems.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/3/17 12:36 a.m.

The problem with bare plywood is that it gets nasty when you spill oil on it.  I'd look for some kind of paint/sealant for it.

My trailer is built out of gel-coated plywood, which cleans up pretty easily.  I dunno if you can do that to an existing floor or not though.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
10/3/17 5:45 a.m.

We have 3.  1 with natural hardwood, 1 with gray painted plywood, 1 with black and white checker tile. 

The hardwood floor is nice but stains easily.  The b&w checkered tile SUCKS.  The glue has become soft and a third of the tiles are loose.  Glue goo everywhere.

The best floor is the gray painted plywood.  We have towed it over 104K thru 25 states to hundreds of events.  Night time tranny changes and engine repairs and continuous between race storage with many spills, drips and drops have hit the deck.....couple paper towels and its ready for the next event.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/4/18 4:20 a.m.

Zombie thread, canoe deleted

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
8/4/18 11:40 a.m.

While an old thread I have a solution not mentioned.

I installed this flooring in my 8.5X20 trailer. I also got it on sale and with 11% off when I did by it so I saved well over $100 on my purchase!

https://www.menards.com/main/flooring-rugs/utility-flooring/g-floor-reg-86-x-22-coin-garage-flooring-187-sq-ft-roll/gf75cn8622sn/p-1507789682473.htm

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
8/4/18 3:44 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to teamilluminata :

KISS  ( keep it simple S......) 

plain plywood is a good floor (assuming in good condition) it provides decent traction, is easy enough to clean, absorbs oils etc.  

is there any special plywood to buy that will last longer out in the weather ?

Thanks

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
8/4/18 9:11 p.m.

The wood in mind is a little worn but still fine. you can just see some loose bits where its shredded a bit. I wondered if i need to replace the decking or just go over it with something like the coin floor

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/4/18 9:46 p.m.

I’d check for splinters then roll it as-is for a while. 

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
8/5/18 8:17 a.m.

If you need to replace the plywood is it simply like unscrew/rip it up and screw in a new piece?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KrSSUyUUUEnuUmhO2SA3Nc03SglagBtgemL4i0SxyB4W4a8cJHyIvuC2j2g2WQHu