1 2
bruceman
bruceman New Reader
7/16/08 8:39 p.m.

Stock rally cross rules for '09 require non adjustable shocks. So in your experience what would be the best bang for the buck?

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/16/08 11:08 p.m.

Bilstein

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/16/08 11:15 p.m.

Tokico Blue.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/17/08 8:22 a.m.

Koni FSD

(NOTE: You now have three opinions from three people. The takeaway message from this should probably be that there are many options, most of them pretty good.)

jg

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
7/17/08 8:44 a.m.

+1 on the Tokico HP Blues - I have 4 sitting in my garage now to go on the Max here shortly.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
7/17/08 8:46 a.m.

Truck shocks, truck shocks, truck shocks.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
7/17/08 8:52 a.m.

bilsteins.

Oh wait, grm.... er. used bilsteins

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
7/17/08 9:02 a.m.

Used Bilsteins don't have a lifetime warranty.

New Bilsteins do.

KYB GR2s aren't bad either, also have some sort of warranty.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/17/08 9:12 a.m.

Wouldn't it be best to know the vehicle being used before suggesting the shocks?

Per Schroeder
7/17/08 9:20 a.m.

Well, it's either a Miata or....

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/17/08 9:20 a.m.

What was I thinking...

Nothing to see here.

bruceman
bruceman New Reader
7/17/08 11:02 a.m.

1990 Rx7

Travis_K
Travis_K New Reader
7/17/08 11:07 a.m.

In my experience, bilstiens are excelent, konis are fair to decent depending on the vehicle, KYB GR2s are acceptable for a dailly driver, and tokico blues are really quite bad.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/17/08 11:12 a.m.

Keith warned me against Tokico blues. I just watched one fail at Thunderhill last week (was driving behind a miata that had one die).

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
7/17/08 11:15 a.m.
Travis_K wrote: In my experience, bilstiens are excelent, konis are fair to decent depending on the vehicle, KYB GR2s are acceptable for a dailly driver, and tokico blues are really quite bad.

EXACTLY my experience.

bruceman
bruceman New Reader
7/17/08 12:50 p.m.

Is there such a thing aas a non-adjustable Koni?

evildky
evildky Dork
7/17/08 12:51 p.m.

I've had good luck with the Tokiko's, ran them in 2 of my challenge cars

fiat22turbo
7/17/08 12:53 p.m.

Koni FSD. Per talked about them in the magazine when they were used on the Cooper S.

KYB GR-2's are OEM replacements, not performance shocks. For mild rally courses they probably wouldn't be too bad.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
7/17/08 12:55 p.m.

I'm probably still pissed about ordering KYB's gas-adjust dampeners only to find they're not adjustable.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
7/17/08 12:55 p.m.

Yup. I am.

Per Schroeder
7/17/08 3:21 p.m.

It's my understanding that most KYB GR2s are about the same as a AGX set at '2' I'm going to try them on the Neon with some taller/stiffer springs to see how they work for rallycross.

fiat22turbo
7/17/08 5:10 p.m.

Nope, one of the suppliers for the FWD Dodge group spoke to KYB directly about the GR-2 (since they were one of the few suppliers still offering struts for the Omni platform) and they were told that it was an OEM-equivalent.

KYB

Their website says for the GR-2, "restores handling and control" while under the Gas-A-Just it says, "Increases performance, stability"

Now, of course under the GR-2 they talk about, "Components and valving are designed specifically for each application" One would seriously hope so. They also state, "Calibrated to compensate for worn suspensions" which I'm not sure what that means exactly.

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/17/08 8:14 p.m.
bruceman wrote: Is there such a thing aas a non-adjustable Koni?

I had a set of Koni's on my 89 Civic Si that didn't have the external adjustment knob. There were still five settings, as I recall, but you had to disconnect the lower bolts and turn the whole unit. Not sure if a shock like that would be legal, but it might appear to be.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
7/18/08 6:11 a.m.
bruceman wrote: Is there such a thing aas a non-adjustable Koni?

Yep. Not common, but they exist. I have a set on the shelf.

cghstang
cghstang New Reader
7/18/08 6:29 a.m.

Just double checking, are you sure about the '09 rules requiring non-adjustables? The '08 rules say:

"Any dampers may be used but the damper must mount to the original mounting position using unmodified mounting points. Springs may also be replaced, but they must be of the same type and use original mounting points. Threaded collars and camber plates are allowed."

Also see this thread regarding '09 rule changes: http://www.sccabb.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6869&PN=1

I see no mention of non-adjustable dampers for prepared class ( I run in PF).

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8ho37ej6C9sD1QQ2yoyfvP3qrWNFtpMUfjBKxO43esGzh8UG8fWwadqm1lW8ITch