7/28/11 11:08 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
bravenrace wrote: Honda B or K series.
Fixed. Also the F20C

Don't diss the D. Great motor.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
7/28/11 11:15 a.m.

I believe they are using the EcoTec's instead of the old pinto motors in alot of the Alcohol burning roundy-round cars at the Chili Bowl for instance. Making LOTS of powah!

My suggestion would be the MZR DISI from the Speed 3. I routinely saw 27-28 on the highway in a 3300lb+ car.

However, it needs an upgaded High Pressure Fuel Pump to make much more than stock power safely.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
7/28/11 11:17 a.m.

Speed3 doesn't fall into the displacement range, sadly.

Otherwise i would have suggested F2T just for the lulz. Merely because it's bulletproof and gets good gas mileage, despite being one of the most unrefined motors i've ever seen.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
7/28/11 11:21 a.m.

I know, but the 2.0L seems arbitrary.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/28/11 11:22 a.m.

^Agreed.

I think he's trying to focus on light aluminum motors without coming out and saying it, too, if i'm reading his thought process correctly.

I also tend to not enjoy 4 cylinders smaller than 1.8 litres unless HEAVILY worked.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
7/28/11 11:28 a.m.

My favorites are the BMW M42 and the Mazda BP's, but I think that in this case the ecotec wins hands down.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
7/28/11 12:04 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Honda - D,B or K series.

+1

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/28/11 12:07 p.m.

Cheap insurance had something to do with the displacement.

I am trying to focus on small light motors, not necessarily aluminum although that does help the lightness.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo HalfDork
7/28/11 12:15 p.m.

4G63T>all

Cheap, tough, easy to modify, well documented, makes loads of power.

GameboyRMH
7/28/11 12:27 p.m.

The 4G63T is a lot thirstier than the 2.0 turbo Ecotecs...

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
7/28/11 12:36 p.m.

The Honda K20 is basically the highest output normally aspirated 4cyl you can get in that class.

GameboyRMH
7/28/11 1:00 p.m.

Phew, okay, I think I researched them all, now it's ranking time!

Got lots of great suggestions, but the two that stand out above the competition for being good all-round powerful engines that are still good on gas are the GM Ecotec 2.0 turbo and the Honda K20.

Honorable mentions go to the Ford BDA & YB for being crazy-advanced for their time, and the F20C for being a screamer.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/28/11 1:02 p.m.

The only acceptable answer is turbo FE3.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
7/28/11 1:06 p.m.

I am patting myself on the back that I have daily driven nearly every suggestion in this thread at one time or another, besides the 4g63, and that's just because I hate mitsubishi.

A turbocharged ford Lima is still my personal favorite.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
7/28/11 2:00 p.m.

I don't think you can properly rank the gas mileage. Transmission/drivetrain/vehicle its stuffed into has too much to do with that.

My S2K would probably get much better mileage if the gearing didn't suck.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
7/28/11 2:04 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Don't diss the D. Great motor.

The OP read to me that motors will be compared in an unmodified state. In that case the D is unimpressive when compared with many other engines mentioned in this thread.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
7/28/11 3:04 p.m.

As to the comment about the arbitrary nature of the 2.0 limit- here's a good reason:

D-Mod.

I don't know if I should start another thread, but I think it'd be neat to see different ideas on the ideal D-Mod and E-Mod possibilities (engine and chassis)

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
7/28/11 3:28 p.m.

The new twin-turbo (yes you heard right) 2-liter in the 2012 BMW 528i is a little monster. 240 ponies and 260 torques.

sanman
sanman Reader
7/28/11 3:32 p.m.

Don't forget the 2 liter boxer turbo motor out of the bugeye wrx.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
7/28/11 3:37 p.m.

3 stock motors that have recently shocked me with the amount of abuse they'll endure:

1. Mazda BP
  2. 4G63T
  3. D16Z6
Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
7/28/11 5:38 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: I don't think you can properly rank the gas mileage. Transmission/drivetrain/vehicle its stuffed into has too much to do with that. My S2K would probably get much better mileage if the gearing didn't suck.

...but the gearing has to "suck" to make engines with no torque feel spritely. If it was geared anything like a torquey engine (such as the turbo Ecotec) would use, then it wouldn't be at all fun to drive in everyday driving. While HP is the critical measure for acceleration performance, torque sure is nice to have when you are rowing your own gears.

Bryce

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Reader
7/28/11 6:09 p.m.

I throw my vote in for the D, B, F, and K series Honda engines as well.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/28/11 6:26 p.m.
mtn wrote: My favorites are the BMW M42 and the Mazda BP's, but I think that in this case the ecotec wins hands down.

the M42 is not a bad engine.. but is saddled with a heavy flywheel and injection that strangles the engine from performing better than the 6's. Free it from both those constrants, and it is a great engine

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
7/28/11 6:28 p.m.

The answer is always Miata

Mazda BP

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
7/28/11 6:38 p.m.
Nashco wrote:
ProDarwin wrote: I don't think you can properly rank the gas mileage. Transmission/drivetrain/vehicle its stuffed into has too much to do with that. My S2K would probably get much better mileage if the gearing didn't suck.
...but the gearing has to "suck" to make engines with no torque feel spritely. If it was geared anything like a torquey engine (such as the turbo Ecotec) would use, then it wouldn't be at all fun to drive in everyday driving. While HP is the critical measure for acceleration performance, torque sure is nice to have when you are rowing your own gears. Bryce

A) No. The S2000 isn't torqueless. 162lb-ft. Significantly more than my Saturn, which has much longer gearing and has the "short ratio" transmission. The Saturn has plenty of balls scooting around on the street. <-- ok that's subjective. Actually, the Saturn 5th = S2K 6th, and the final drives are identical. But the S2000 has a 1.2:1 "secondary reduction". B) There is no reason that 6TH GEAR needs to have crazy acceleration. It spins at ~4200rpm at 80mph. Completely unnecessary. If I want to go faster, I can downshift.

I guess I'm just pissy about it. I find the gear spacing much more to my liking in my economy car than my sports car. I wish I had say a Saturn/Miata/Anything normal 1-5 and a longer 6th so it didn't scream on the highway or require 25% more shifting when driving around town. Same goes for a lot of Japanese transmissions.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MoWRnqJjj86TiUE2P2Mjy0fad3GUKWt2ZFELHhxHjwSgzFvlrlNzOVEq60aH8H2m