HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
1/4/12 10:40 a.m.

What is the preferred online parts source for Subarus?

My wifes trusty old SAAB 9000 is just about done, and SWMBO has declared that she wants a Subaru for her next car.

I know nothing about them, but there are plenty of them for sale on CL. I turn wrenches for a living, and I've had no trouble keeping lots of old SAABs running, not to mention all the odd industrial vehicles that I handle professionally, so I'm not too worried about getting one that needs some work, but I need to know where to find parts with getting robbed by the stealership.

Is there a Subie parts equivalent of eEuroparts?

As this project progresses I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/4/12 11:09 a.m.

Subaru parts are so cheap and plentiful that there doesn't need to be an equivalent of eEuroparts. The only thing I've ever found you can't get from good old Rock Auto (cheapest Subie parts retailer I know of) or your local chain parts store (not a whole lot more expensive) is a hill holder cable, which is $18 at the dealer.

If you've got some experience with a C900 you will warm to working on a Subaru right away. There are a lot of similarities (from a maintenance standpoint) but the Subaru is pretty much easier in every way. I can pull a Subie motor in 45 minutes. Easy peasy.

What year range/model are you looking at? Most Subarus are virtually bulletproof other than a few years of EJ25 models that had piston slap/head gasket issues.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
1/4/12 11:47 a.m.

In reply to SlickDizzy:

I'm looking at foresters and legacy wagons/outbacks. Looking at late nineties to mid two-thousands, must have an automatic trans and NA is preferred but I would consider a turbo. Also must be under 150K miles and clean.

It will be SWMBO's daily driver, and occasionally used for road trips.

Hocrest
Hocrest HalfDork
1/4/12 10:39 p.m.

My favorite Subie supplier when I need manufacturer parts is to call Liberty Subaru in Oradel, NJ. They don't have a good online catalog, but there phone service is good, and they charge the actual shipping charge (no handling). Ask for the "Car and Driver" discount.

For parts lookup, I use this site; http://opposedforces.com/parts

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
1/5/12 12:03 a.m.

I've used subarupartsforyou.com on a few occasions now, for the few things I insist upon being OEM. Their online catalog is the largest I've seen to date. Shipping is a little pricey, but they have nearly everything and anything I can think of, and it's cheaper than the local dealers.

RockAuto gets the rest of my business.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
1/5/12 5:33 p.m.

Annapolis Subaru There's a gal in the parts department who takes care of the mail orders and I've heard she's really good. Most of the Forester message board swears by her. I've never had to use her because I'm on oddly good terms with the manager of my local dealer even though they kind of suck. I get wholesale and no shipping issues so I haven't gone elsewhere...yet.

peter
peter Reader
1/5/12 8:39 p.m.
ddavidv wrote: Annapolis Subaru There's a gal in the parts department who takes care of the mail orders and I've heard she's really good. Most of the Forester message board swears by her. I've never had to use her because I'm on oddly good terms with the manager of my local dealer even though they kind of suck. I get wholesale and no shipping issues so I haven't gone elsewhere...yet.

QFT. Call the parts department, ask for Jackie. Wonderful service, prices in my experience are within pennies of the big web-only Subaru sites, shipping is at actual cost. Jackie knew I needed some parts before the weekend, got most of them out on time, but needed an extra day for the last batch (their fault, part was marked in stock but wasn't), got the remaining parts to me overnight without me even asking or noticing!

This is how service should be done and I'll keep going back there.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/6/12 5:54 a.m.

Stay away from the dual cam 2.5L ('98 Foresters and '97-'99 Legacy's). The single cam is way easier to work on and maintain in the '99+ Forester and '00+ Legacy.
Easier valve adjustment is the first thing that comes to mind!

HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
1/6/12 7:28 a.m.

In reply to fornetti14: Thanks for the tip about the DOHC engines, are there any other problem areas to watch out for?

How are Subies automatic transmissions? Also are they generally tolerant or intolerant of aftermarket parts?

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
5/23/13 6:41 a.m.

Symmetrical AWD canoe?

peter
peter HalfDork
5/27/13 6:24 a.m.

Deranged canoe?

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/27/13 6:34 a.m.

gone