3duppiesandadog
3duppiesandadog New Reader
12/17/14 4:33 a.m.

Hi Grmers. I'm about to attempt to recommission an old Civic. The pic shows the current state of the body. The paint actually looks like it could be saved and polished up, if I can get the grime off without damaging the paint. If I didn't care I'd use a scrub pad, but I'm really trying to minimize any damage. What's the best product or procedure to attack something like this? Thanks.

3duppiesandadog
12/17/14 4:37 a.m.

Ok, I copied and pasted the url like the camera said. Why did it not work for me? Help please

OSULemon
OSULemon Reader
12/17/14 5:00 a.m.

In reply to 3duppiesandadog:

Upload the photo to imgur.com, copy and paste the link it provides. It should look like [IMG]somethingsomething[/IMG]

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
12/17/14 6:50 a.m.

Here I feex for joo.

So I would just use straight up dish soap like Dawn. Use a wool mitt so the dirt doesn't stay in the mit and scratch the paint. Use the 2 bucket system, one for soapy water and one for rinse water. Rinse the panel and the rag out often. Repeat as necessary.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
12/17/14 6:57 a.m.

Electric pressure washer?

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
12/17/14 7:13 a.m.

drag to u-wash-it.

put credit card in machine. commence to spray until a.) you can see what color teh car is. b.) you max out your cc...

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
12/17/14 7:56 a.m.

Dish soap is a great basic cleaner. If you want to get fancy, and I really see no reason to, you could use one of the stronger grime cutters, like super purple and such. But you risk paint damage (unlikely but possible), and for that sort of grime I doubt they would actually be better than dish soap.

Bucket, hose, sponge. Wash rinse repeat. You will likely be amazed at what a half hour produces.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
12/17/14 8:21 a.m.

A pressure washer would make quick work of that, even the crappy ones at the pay 'n' spray.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/17/14 10:06 a.m.

I would wet it down a lot and use a pressure washer like the other guys have said.

3duppiesandadog
12/17/14 11:20 a.m.

Thanks T25torx for fixing the picture for me, and thanks guys. It's not quite running yet so no pay'n'spray, so I'm off to get some Dawn and an extra bucket. I'm going to see if I can figure out the pic thing and maybe do a project page. Been lurking for years, time to show how little I've learned. :-)

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
12/17/14 11:37 a.m.

If you can get warm water in your rinse hose that will help too.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/17/14 11:56 a.m.

my buick sat under a tree for a long time prior to me buying it. i used dawn and a sponge.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
84EOBe0hC3zVNV1tjpmtZyTsyMLaMa6PFevSP85MSPwF9fv77dtSjSvlKAsVXTzI