1 2
Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
10/29/10 12:13 p.m.
Where do you find an NPT-metric inverted flare adapter?

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1265

Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
10/29/10 12:49 p.m.

Bubble flare fittings won't work. It is a Miata, not a GM.

Brian

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/29/10 1:30 p.m.

The correct answer is:

http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=4539&parentid=0&stocknumber=14-76255

Because we couldn't find one anywhere, we made our own. Our local small town NAPA has NPT to SAE inverted flare fittings, but the metric version did not exist in nature.

rl48mini
rl48mini New Reader
10/29/10 2:26 p.m.

you could try Racer Parts Wholesale or Pegasus Racing

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
10/29/10 2:42 p.m.
Zomby woof wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: JIC is, in theory, the same and interchangeable but the tolerances are not as exacting as "mil spec" so mixing them is not a good idea if you do not enjoy surprises.
That's just not true. Most JIC stuff is used in high pressure hydraulic applications. More demanding than most automotive applications. The spec on JIC fittings is good enough for any automotive application

My understanding is that JIC was a copy of the AN spec with more lenient tolerance for threads. I did not imply it was inferior - only that mixing AN and JIC could lead to surprises. Both are more than adequate for auto applications.

EDIT: I realize this is not real, verifiable proof... but it does seem to coroborate my admittedly weak memory. JIC Fittings

I'll see if I can find the actual specs somewhere since now my interest is peaked.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
10/29/10 3:08 p.m.
Keith wrote: The correct answer is: http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=4539&parentid=0&stocknumber=14-76255

Strange that looks nothing like the metric bubble flare on my VW... and I've used those CB adapters on many metric flare cars with success.

nvm.. just caught the Miata one was inverted never seen that one before!

Keith
10/29/10 5:55 p.m.

It's not uncommon. I think most Japanese cars use inverted flares. Check out all those pre-flared brake lines at your local auto parts store, they're mostly going to be inverted flares.

emodspitfire
emodspitfire New Reader
10/29/10 6:16 p.m.

Folks,

AFPR= "Automatic fuel pressure regulator" (??) Definitely needs to be AN grade fittings. I haven't bought much of this stuff recently, but Pegasus was friendly and the prices were OK.

For the catchcan: Most (All?) of these systems run at atmospheric pressure. So cobble up the catchcan and baffles and use NAPA rubber hose/fittings as required. For the valve cover fitting: braze an adapter to the stock cover as needed.

The big diameter AN stuff is fairly expensive. If you can limit your needs to the -6 or -8 sizes, you oughta be able to get your stuff done for about $100..

Rog

Keith
10/29/10 6:18 p.m.

Usually it's Auxiliary FPR.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
10/29/10 6:30 p.m.
Keith wrote: Usually it's Auxiliary FPR.

Adjustable fuel pressure regulator...? It seems we've seen them all!

Keith
10/29/10 8:17 p.m.

That's probably better :) We used to call them aux regulators back when we used them on Miata turbo kits, but keeping the stock unit is really just being lazy.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/29/10 8:39 p.m.

Over the years, I've found that comparison shopping JEGS, Summit and Pegasus can pay off handsomely. BAT is great for metric and oddball stuff (they were the only place I could find 18mm x #8AN banjos. So what if they were $60 apiece and are black and gold?)

When I plumbed the brakes on the Jensenator, I used banjo to AN adapter fittings on the Miata/RX7 calipers, then got Weatherhead metric to SAE adapters from the loca NAPA for the master cylinder and then ran 3/16" pre assembled inverted flare lines. That was a LOT easier and cheaper than going with all metric stuff. Solid, no leaks and looks good.

For whatever reason, power steering stuff is plumbed weird.

SouthwestProcess
SouthwestProcess
10/11/11 10:42 a.m.

Southwest Process Controls carries the full line of Hy-Lok compression fittings. Hy-Lok compression union fittings consistently provides leak-free connections for a variety of industries. From tube fittings to face seal fittings, Southwest Process Controls is equipped to meet your specific application needs.

http://www.southwestprocesscontrols.com/fittings/

pigeon
pigeon Dork
10/11/11 10:58 a.m.

Year old canoe

Gasoline
Gasoline New Reader
10/11/11 11:06 a.m.

New Black/Silver fittings I would say Jegs.

If you have time, hit as many auto swap meets as you can. Someone generally has a cardboard box (way in the back of the trailer) of fittings/hose for a fraction of what they cost new.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nJfdLX7eGBKVQ4hUc0UPV0fzThq2miwCgwdkz4qSvHBq0ydkyQPLA1Ah3c4fpraL