1 2
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/20/17 8:00 a.m.

Since a Protoge5 is usually a grand or two cheaper than a 3, which is better accounting for the price difference?

Asking for a friend.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
4/20/17 9:49 a.m.

In reply to tuna55:

I'd pay a grand more just for the (most likely) lesser amount of rust etc.

Any more than a grand cheaper though, I'd opt for the P5.

Mine had HID conversion, Bluetooth and an upgraded interior. IMO, Mazda got the interiors perfect on these. It was a nice place to spend time.

Could've used 6th gear on the highway though. That's gotta be my only complaint.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
4/20/17 11:58 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: Since a Protoge5 is usually a grand or two cheaper than a 3, which is better accounting for the price difference? Asking for a friend.

The only 3 I've ever driven was a Speed3, so I can't directly compare them in terms of performance. In terms of general impressions, its sort of like comparing a 90's vintage Civic with a 6th gen Civic. The interior of the Protege5 is a lot simpler and more utilitarian, but its very well laid out and feels surprisingly spacious compared to the 3. It is smaller, it just doesn't feel like it. Although its definitely down on power to a 3 (and WAAAY down compared to a Speed3), it doesn't necessarily feel slow/underpowered around town because it's also relatively small/light. That said, its NOT a highway cruiser. It rides relatively rough (although, in fairness, mine it probably due for a suspension refresh) and is turning pretty high RPM's at highway speed. That, combined with a power curve that flattens out at relatively low RPM's, makes it less than ideal if you are trying to move around in congested highway speed traffic. I've heard basic I/H/E mods help with this, but the aftermarket for these cars is evaporating quickly. Overall, I like the handling of mine. As indicated above, it wasn't great when I autocrossed it, but that's probably owing mostly to a lack of sufficient tire and the need to add camber to the front end. It has a smaller footprint than the 3, which helps if garage/driveway space is an issue.

Personal opinion: Someone who truly enjoys cars/driving would probably like a Protege5 better initially, but might be frustrated if they plan to modify/personalize their vehicle. There aren't many parts options out there, I haven't seen any swaps, and turbo'd cars seem to go boom. I'm told the aftermarket for 3's in nearly "Miata level" huge, but I've never looked into it myself. For the other 90% of drivers, for whom a vehicle is a means from point A to B, the 3 is probably a better choice.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cDWr7VfwmniKwn5aLwsPfFn9PzKd26muQvxO9WtLuhJnQxZNtNbk4qBusNjBDbv8