1 2 3
stoptheeconobox
stoptheeconobox
11/9/09 1:18 p.m.

how do you turn a 2000 toyota echo sedan, into a really fast highway machine that not even a camaro SS can stop. it also has to handle like it's being moved from underneath by a magnet, and has to cost fairly little. i'd like parts that you can get in CANADA, please :)

klipless
klipless New Reader
11/9/09 1:29 p.m.

Before we tell you how, you must answer "Why?". For the why will dictate the how.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
11/9/09 1:35 p.m.

A 2000 Toyota Echo can be made to move really fast. It isn't that difficult. The key is in how you push it out the back of the C130 and how high up you are when you start the push.

stoptheeconobox
stoptheeconobox New Reader
11/9/09 1:37 p.m.
klipless wrote: Before we tell you how, you must answer "Why?". For the why will dictate the how.

1: i want to be the fastest echo to go around mosport? 2: "Because!"

klipless
klipless New Reader
11/9/09 1:43 p.m.
stoptheeconobox wrote: 1: i want to be the fastest echo to go around mosport? 2: "Because!"

I think if you were to take it around Mosport, you'd be the first person to do so, and by default the fastest. But just to be sure, you could throw some well-worn freebie A6's on there and lock up the track record [for an echo] for good.

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
11/9/09 1:44 p.m.
stoptheeconobox wrote:
klipless wrote: Before we tell you how, you must answer "Why?". For the why will dictate the how.

Would that really be that hard? How many other modified Echo's are there anyway?

skruffy
skruffy Dork
11/9/09 1:47 p.m.

Or you could just buy a Camaro SS and a nitrous kit for a lot less money and have WAY more fun.

klipless
klipless New Reader
11/9/09 1:48 p.m.

Ooohhh!!! I know!

Step 1) Pry 'Echo' and 'Toyota' badges off of said vehicle Step 2) Affix badges to Elise Step 3) ????? Step 4) Profit!!

stoptheeconobox
11/9/09 1:48 p.m.
griffin729 wrote:
stoptheeconobox wrote:
Would that really be that hard? How many other modified Echo's are there anyway?

i dunno. what matters is that i have an echo, and have 6 grand to play with

stoptheeconobox
11/9/09 1:49 p.m.

oh wait, i just saw a turbo echo HOWCOOLIZAT?!?!?!?!

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
11/9/09 1:53 p.m.

I think you could proabbly figure out a way to shoehorn a 2grfe in there for $6k.

I'm not going to ask the why, because i don't care.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/9/09 1:55 p.m.

They should corner well with some coilovers and wide wheels, they've got lots of potential in that area, but little to no potential in terms of power. If you want to outrun muscle cars you'll need a dual powertrain swap, for starters, and a turbo on each powertrain. Then you'll need an LSD in each tranny to help lay down the power. This idea is notably insane even by GRM standards, but I'm not going to question you.

Edit: Alternative to dual powertrain: 4WD and BFE (Big F'in Engine)

suprf1y
suprf1y Reader
11/9/09 2:00 p.m.
stoptheeconobox wrote: i'd like parts that you can get in CANADA, please :)

http://www.turbinetech.ca/projet_detail.php?id=5&SESSID=8d0b23a8364b5d22772f329a4ffd31fa

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/9/09 2:05 p.m.

How much are you willing to remove for the sake of speed?

All Toyotas are faster with AWD Celica drivetrain swaps.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
11/9/09 2:07 p.m.

I think that Turbinetech job might run a bit more than 6K. Roll cage looks pretty serious.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
11/9/09 2:08 p.m.

Fastest around a track is a valid excuse. Would a Celica GT engine fit?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
11/9/09 2:11 p.m.

With the six large, the best upgrade would be to buy a faster car for six large. Seriously. Doode.

daytonaer
daytonaer Reader
11/9/09 2:15 p.m.

You're probably not serious but I respond for my sake.

I used to have an echo, I loved it but it got very light at speeds over 80. I would not ever want to drive one faster than 70-75. I think the bubble shape generates allot of lift.

The stock engine runs on regular gas with something like 11:1 compression ratio. how cool is that? It has a variable timing cam and a freaking valve in the muffler to give it 5 more hp at high rpm's. Seriously.

My echo died from a rear end collision. Subaru killed it, she wasn't paying attention.... Subaru needed a new bumper/fenders, echo died: frame/body/rear "axle" etc. parted ways. Would not recommend being in one at speeds greater than 70-75 when they start to get light. Think safe like an old beetle.

My echo turd returned 40-43 mpg with an auto and ice cold ac. Weighed as much as a tandem bicycle and never broke. What you need is to buy a $4000 C4 vette and a $2k Nitrous kit. Then you can drive your echo to work after you blow that up embarrassing a camaro.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/9/09 2:16 p.m.

$2k Miata and exchange $4k for go-faster bits from Keith's employer?

Autolex
Autolex HalfDork
11/9/09 2:19 p.m.

how about trade in echo on ZX-10R/GSX-1000R and laugh at muscle cars?

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
11/9/09 2:38 p.m.

Why do people come to a non-model specific forum and ask how to modify their specific model of car, especially when nobody on that has probably even driven that car, much less have any experience in modifying it?

Stoptheeconobox - have you thought about maybe going to Google and typing in "toyota echo forum" and finding some people who just may have experience with your car and asking them? I know it sounds crazy, but I found several forums that actually have discussions about modifying Echos and could actually give you some advice on how to make your car go as fast as a stock V6 Camry.

Bob

jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
11/9/09 2:38 p.m.

There have been a lot of tongue-in-cheek responses, but I'm going to give you a serious one - don't even try it.

The primary reason I say that is that the center of gravity of the Echo is very high in comparison with its track width. Modifyng the suspension and adding grip is just begging for a rollover.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
11/9/09 2:43 p.m.

Being an echo owner I don't see the point. Keep it as an a-b and build a $6000 toy.

2002maniac
2002maniac Reader
11/9/09 2:48 p.m.
Schmidlap wrote: Stoptheeconobox - have you thought about maybe going to Google and typing in "toyota echo forum" and finding some people who just may have experience with your car and asking them? I know it sounds crazy, but I found several forums that actually have discussions about modifying Echos and could actually give you some advice on how to make your car go as fast as a stock V6 Camry. Bob

I bet there is tons of discussion on performance on the echo forums. NOT!

Raze
Raze Reader
11/9/09 2:52 p.m.

you don't need $6k to get your econobox into the 14s... (I wish all the pics worked it's a classic article) http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=776885

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GdlD2STlCO11LUTxb4FaAPQxwp68KvihvkcCFz1IgA1p3VGf0bjACm2IDaAKEudY