slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
4/27/09 2:32 p.m.

The BIG BEND OPEN ROAD RACE was this weekend. I worked a flag station 15 miles into the course, and took some photos I thought I'd share.

LOTS MORE PHOTOS

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/27/09 2:43 p.m.

Wow...what a cool assortment of cars. I've only made it through a few pages of your pictures, but they're fantastic. Is that a real Corvette GS? And the Polara is hilariously cool.

jikelly
jikelly New Reader
4/27/09 2:52 p.m.

Dang, missed it again this year. My step sister's 15th birthday and quinceanera was this weekend. Hopefully I can finally make it next year.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
4/27/09 3:22 p.m.

Sweet Lincoln....and Wally should be happy with that Aero Coupe.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/27/09 3:27 p.m.

Wheni win the lottery that is on my list of toys. That #21 Merc is pretty sick too

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
4/27/09 7:33 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: Is that a real Corvette GS? And the Polara is hilariously cool.

I didn't get to talk to the GS driver, but I'm pretty sure that it and both GT40's are just really good replicas. Note the 4X2 side draft throttle bodies on the small block. Nice! The '68 GT350 is a clone, as is the Superbird that was notably absent this year. The Ferrari, Lambo, GT, and assorted Porsches are real enough.

The Polara is great. It's a VERY LOUD machine, capable of 200 MPH on a long straight. This time, however, it broke. It sounded like it was cutting out as it passed me, 15 miles into the 118 mile (59X2) course.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/27/09 9:15 p.m.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! 85 S

He took the tail gate off but kept the mud flaps?!

Wally
4/27/09 9:17 p.m.

He's just being consideate of the people behind him.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
4/27/09 11:37 p.m.

in to look at additional photos later

924guy
924guy HalfDork
4/28/09 6:06 a.m.

I wanted very badly to make it this year, but my cards got shuffled, hell or highwater ill be there next year though, even if only as a spectator... i am so done with having to miss cool stuff....

that f-350 driver is probably having a blast, i know my 86 handled like it was on rails with the dually rear, and was pretty quick as well with the 460 ci, much more fun than one would expect out such a monstrous vehicle...

anxiously awaiting more pics...

Luke
Luke Dork
4/28/09 6:18 a.m.

Cool photos! As someone else said, a great variety of cars.

I love this thing, but what the heck is it? The back makes me think Cadillac.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Wally
4/28/09 6:31 a.m.

That's a Lincoln Mark VII, It's their version of the '80s T-Bird

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
4/28/09 10:21 a.m.

There were three Lincolns: the '64 "Monster Garage" Continental in the 155 MPH class, a '94 at 110, and the '89 above at 85.

That big Ford pickup was in the 90 MPH class - slow compared to how some of the ranchers normally drive ...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZdViOy5Yd5kXUpAmrRqd9DpTfq5eRRKgKMmU8kjQek0ceRiTYTWtH7O4B9YhieGN